Turn Off Ads?
Page 51 of 62 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio State Football 2013

Re: Ohio State Football 2013

Michigan State lost to Notre Dame, and Notre Dame was not particularly good this year. That made the Spartans easy to marginalize.

2. Likes:

RBA (12-08-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Fox does a really lousy job on college football. Dantonio was just ready to say some cool things and the Fox idiot cuts him off.

Let the man have his moment.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Archie Griffin is presenting the MVP award? That sucks. Who made that decision?
    Two Heismans

Four Big 10 championships

Started in 4 Rose Bowls

What seems to be the problem?

Good game. Better team won

7. Likes:

RBA (12-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Two Heismans

Four Big 10 championships

Started in 4 Rose Bowls

What seems to be the problem?
    I know as much about him as you do. One of my childhood heroes. You missed my point ... by a mile. I was talking about Archie presenting the award after that moment (heartbreaking loss for his school).

I know as much about him as you do. One of my childhood heroes. You missed my point ... by a mile. I was talking about Archie presenting the award after that moment (heartbreaking loss for his school).
    Not sure how one misses the point of the statement: "That sucks. Who made that decision?". But kudos on knowing as much about Archie Griffin as I do.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I wonder if some of the biggest critics of all things big ten ever even watch. I don't see how one could watch this MSU team and marginalize them. They should be in the top 5 without question, I don't care who they played. Watch them play and it becomes clear.
    They're in the B10. Don't you know by now Mike that the B10 is probably the weakest conference in college FB?

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    They keep running the same plays. It worked for a while, but it's not working any more. Feel free to try something different.
    Thought the same thing watching the 4th quarter. And Myer told the announcer going into halftime that they were going to open it up in the 2nd half. Really? I was amazed that late in the 4th quarter OSU only had something like 13 total yards in that quarter.

I told a buddy earlier in the week that MSU's game plan would be simple ... stop the run, and make Miller beat them in the air. And in the 1st and 4th quarters they did just that. I started to have some hope when we came back in the 2nd, and then took the lead in the 3rd - was MSU's D tiring? - but they got gritty in the 4th.

You could tell MSU's coaching staff poured over the OSU-Michigan game films, because they threw some of the very same plays at us.

Very disappointed in OSU's receivers who were dropping critical passes.

I've been suspect of our pass defense all season. They played better last night, at times, but not when it counted. They had their lapses. MSU is 9th in the B10 in total offense, and they made QB Cook, who over the course of the season was an average QB, look like John Elway out there.

The 3 PI calls were simply stupid by our D'backs. What in the world were they thinking? And our safeties? We gave up two wide-open TD passes because our safeties seemed confused and abandoned their coverage.

But hats off to Michigan State. They came to play.

And IMO, it's probably better off this way. As much as I'd like to have seen OSU in the championship game, I still think we'd get rolled by FSU. I think Winston would pick us apart.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

The last 4-5 weeks of this seasons demonstrate the need a playoff with a representative from each major conference.

It's a shame the Pac12 (Standford), Big10 (MichSt), and Big12 (Baylor) won't get a shot at the National Championship. It would have been a shame if the SEC had not had a chance at the NC this year. A playoff between conference winners (and a few wildcards) is necessary. It gives each conference a legitimate chance to win the NC (even if they have a loss or two) - and it keeps the importance of each college game front and center - a loss could keep you out of your conference championship. It makes the entire season a playoff.

The conferences don't play each other in any meaningful fashion during the season - there is no surefire way to compare teams against one another.

It ticks me off that they next iteration (4 team playoff) will likely last a decade before they eventually go to an expanded format.
    Last edited by gonelong; 12-08-2013 at 10:24 AM.

12. Likes:

Gizmo (12-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    The last 4-5 weeks of this seasons demonstrate the need a playoff with a representative from each major conference.
    I couldn't disagree more. The four best teams should be in the playoff, regardless of conference affiliation, and hopefully it becomes an 8-team playoff sooner, rather than later. Conference affiliation should never be a factor.

14. Likes:

GAC (12-09-2013)

There's no real way to know who the best four teams are unless common opponents are played, which SEC fans never want to admit.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

16. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (12-09-2013)

I thought this was a great season, Meyer is probably crushed right now, but to have gone 24-1 in his first two years coming from where the program was is impressive.

It's a shame for Michigan State there's no playoff this year, because that's a very solid team.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

18. Likes:

Gizmo (12-08-2013)

Ohio State's defense is not ready for primetime. This is where the complete failure of the Tressel regime to recruit and develop safeties comes into play. You need upper classmen in the backend that know what they are doing. Christian Bryant may be out, but he wasn't anything special either. Ohio State has been vulnerable to the pass for 5 years. Urban Meyer did recruit some talent last year, and has more coming, but they have to be able to coach them up. Luke Fickell catches a lot of flack for the defense, but outside of Ryan Shazier and Bradley Roby, who among the back seven could start at any other upper echelon program? Fickell deserves some blame for that because he has had his hand in recruiting those guys. The defensive line is fine, I have been really happy with those guys, and they are all pups.

After the last two weeks, I was almost happy that Ohio State didn't get into the National Championship game. It would have been nice to have a puncher's chance at the title. I know that Florida State would murder Ohio State's secondary, and I was terrified of Missouri. I think Ohio State could have played with Auburn, but again truthfully, I don't think they have the defense to play at that Championship level.

I still don't understand why they didn't give it to Hyde on their last possession. Carlos Hyde doesn't really get stopped for no gain. I hate running wide, in do or die situations. Also where were Dontre Wilson and Jeff Heuerman? Gotta exploit the middle of the defense. For all the praise that gets heaped on the offense, the playcalling in the fourth quarter was horrendous.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

20. Likes:

Roy Tucker (12-08-2013)

"So Fla Red"

Thought the rout was going to be on at 24-17 with all the momentum, but inexplicably the offensive playcalling went south despite 250 yds rushing by the end of the third. 24-20 with a short field and the game should have been put away. I thought we were past the predictable vanilla offense of Tressel/Bollamn, but even they would have had the common sense to keep pounding Hyde until they stopped him and not splitting him out as a WR.

Splitting Hyde out wide on third down sets and then not having him on the field for 3rd and 3 on the final drive made zero sense. I believe Hyde (8.1 yds/carry) only had four carries in the last 20mins of the game. Hermann/Meyer overthought the game plan too much and let the opponent dictate the calls. They were controlling the LOS even withoug Marcus Hall playing (I'm sure apologies will be forthcoming from the Gameday crew...). Braxton has regressed again on the passing front. He's just not accurate and consistent enough to provide a true balanced attack against the elite teams.

This is the worst OSU pass defense since??? I honestly can't remember. This used to be DB/LB U with an aggressive style and swagger. I think Urban knows he needs to make some necessary moves to the defensive staff as they've been below par for three years running. I salute Fickell for his service and loyalty to OSU, but he is the definition of the Peter Principle and needs to finally move on. Hopefully Luke lands somewhere soon like FAU for the best of everyone. Politically Urban needed to keep him after 2011 and then after the 12-0 season last year. I think we see Whithers, Fickell and Coombs gone after the Bowl game. 75-points to UM and MSU the last two weeks was the nail in the coffin.

Dantonio is a helluva coach. He seems to take the best of the Tresselball philosophy with a bit more aggressiveness on offense. He worked over Meyer and crew last night, no question about that. Meyer will get it done, but I'd really love to know what Mark could have done with OSU's level of talent.

Stanford vs. MSU should be a good one. Two of the three teams that actually play consistent defense ranked in the top 10. (FSU).

I think FSU could be setup for a Miami 2002 type fall since they haven't been challenged this season. The difference is OSU had one of the all-time great defenses in 2002. Auburn, without a defense, will need to score 30+ to have any chance.

OSU vs. Clemson most likely. Need to take the extra practices and start working in some of the talented 4/5-stars for next season.
    Last edited by oregonred; 12-08-2013 at 01:17 PM.

22. Likes:

Roy Tucker (12-08-2013)

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

I couldn't disagree more. The four best teams should be in the playoff, regardless of conference affiliation, and hopefully it becomes an 8-team playoff sooner, rather than later. Conference affiliation should never be a factor.
    Deciding who the four best teams are is a matter of witchcraft. Poorly executed witchcraft.

"So Fla Red"

The controversy next year for the 3rd and 4th slots is going to be spectacular. It will make the BCS look tame.

In 15 years of the BCS we've really only had 3-4 years of true controversy. Its actually been remarkable how often the final two slots have largely fallen in place.

Did I see #1 and #2 ranked BCS teams are 7-7 or 8-7 the last two weeks of the season in the last few seasons. That's nuts.

Turn Off Ads?