Turn Off Ads?
Page 52 of 62 FirstFirst ... 242484950515253545556 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio State Football 2013

Re: Ohio State Football 2013

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    Deciding who the four best teams are is a matter of witchcraft. Poorly executed witchcraft.
    I see no reason not to adopt the system used in FCS. It works well and has for decades.

2. Likes:

RiverRat13 (12-08-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I see no reason not to adopt the system used in FCS. It works well and has for decades.
    You mean the system used by Division II, Division III, NAIA Division I and NAIA Division II as well? Hmm, seems like that might just work.

5. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-08-2013)

Critics would say there would be too many teams in the mix. 24 teams in total with 11 conference champions and 14 at large teams. FBS has 10 conferences. It would be easy enough to have all the conference champions make it and 6 at large selections.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I think anything that decreases the importance of every regular season game hurts college football by making conference rivalries less compelling. I think only conference champions should be eligible.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

8. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (12-09-2013),dabvu2498 (12-08-2013),HokieRed (12-08-2013),RiverRat13 (12-08-2013)

Cutting back to 11 regular season games in FBS in never going to happen. Ever.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I think anything that decreases the importance of every regular season game hurts college football by making conference rivalries less compelling. I think only conference champions should be eligible.
    When I was watching Marshall during the 1-AA era, I can assure you that the Southern Conference rivalries were just as heated as anything in FBS. Games against Furman, Georgia Southern and their ilk were often in-conference battles of Top Ten teams. Having a higher seed in the playoffs and winning a conference title provided more than enough heat.

When I was watching Marshall during the 1-AA era, I can assure you that the Southern Conference rivalries were just as heated as anything in FBS. Games against Furman, Georgia Southern and their ilk were often in-conference battles of Top Ten teams. Having a higher seed in the playoffs and winning a conference title provided more than enough heat.
    To add to this, I know yesterday's OK/OK State would have been even MORE compelling if the two were fighting for a playoff berth.

I'm a Northern Iowa alum and fan and the regular season games are still pretty intense. Before they expanded the playoffs, the only time Northern Iowa made the playoffs was as league champion. Now they have all the games up to the championship game on campus so that's a huge incentive to get a high seed. Right now in FBS there's an undefeated team and a one loss team playing for the BCS championship. tOSU had the misfortune to lose late and so did Alabama. MSU has a loss and beat tOSU. Baylor, UCF and Louisville all have one loss. Who is to say one is better than the other?
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Not sure where to post but -- I think the new playoff system is gonna be a blast. And of course I don't think it will stop at 4 teams.

I can just picture my grandchild rolling their eyes at me in the future when I explain the ancient "bowl system" to them. I know the bowls are steeped in history and tradition, but the history book will remember their age as the dark ages of college football.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Not sure where to post but -- I think the new playoff system is gonna be a blast. And of course I don't think it will stop at 4 teams.

I can just picture my grandchild rolling their eyes at me in the future when I explain the ancient "bowl system" to them. I know the bowls are steeped in history and tradition, but the history book will remember their age as the dark ages of college football.
    I can picture the conferences rolling their eyes when they wonder what took them so long to tap the gravy train.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

15. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-08-2013),Roy Tucker (12-08-2013)

Posted without comment to provide context relevant to some of the debates concerning rankings/championship resumes throughout the thread.

some of those teams were way overrated early on (Miami, Northwestern, Texas A&M), also some of those records are incorrect (S. Carolina 8-4, No. Ill. 7-5). Michigan State being unranked for half the season, was also a misranking.

I'd also argue that the number of top 25 victories is skewed toward A) overrated teams and B) overvalued conferences that get an inordinate number of ranked teams to play. Of course the top 2 or 3 teams in the SEC will have more top 25 wins, 75% of that conference is in the top 25, deservedly or not, so those numbers should be taken with that grain of salt.

I hate hate hate preseason polls, because all they do is set up how things go down the rest of the way. I'd love to see polls done away with until after week 5 or so. That will give everyone a chance to actually see teams in action, into conference play, so that it's not all guesses and assumptions going into the polls, but rather actual gameplay.
    Is it "next season" yet?

18. Likes:

oregonred (12-08-2013),Revering4Blue (12-08-2013),Roy Tucker (12-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    How is Michigan State not ranked higher? They are a legitimately good team and that defense is full of NFL draft picks.
    The reason MSU was ranked 10th and OSU 2nd going into that game is because the Spartans scheduled Notre Dame and the Buckeyes, Buffalo. There's no question in my mind after watching that game yesterday that MSU is the best football team in the Big Ten. They've also improved a ton since September

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Two Heismans

Four Big 10 championships

Started in 4 Rose Bowls

What seems to be the problem?
    His name is on the trophy and the other guy whose name is on the trophy is dead so it's really quite obvious why Archie's the one presenting it.

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I can picture the conferences rolling their eyes when they wonder what took them so long to tap the gravy train.
    It took the Big Ten and the Pac Ten to finally come out of the shell. They were content to let the traditional Rose Bowl tie-in happen forever. Letting the national championship picture fall where it may. That's the way it was prior to 1998.

Can you believe the Big Ten, largely the center of the CFB world in the 50s and 60s only let one team go to a Bowl Game (Rose) each year. And never the same team twice in a row until after 1971. Regardless if a "mythical" national championship was at stake. The Big Ten and Pac-8 titles actually meant more to those schools before college football became a national sport. Anyone born after 1990 probably has no idea what MNC meant...

I like the 4+2 system, but could be talked into a 5+3 system. 5 conference champs and an at large would validate the regular season and offer one carrot to the best second team from one of the conferences. Byes to the top two teams.

This year the debate for #3-6 would be spectacular. OSU fans (including me) would go ballistic over Baylor (no champ game) and Stanford being ranked higher.

Alabama vs. Baylor/OSU
    MSU vs. Stanford (looks familiar)

Auburn and FSU play the winners

Turn Off Ads?