Turn Off Ads?
Page 54 of 62 FirstFirst ... 444505152535455565758 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio State Football 2013

"So Fla Red"

Re: Ohio State Football 2013

OSU has never had the combination of rock star coach to go along with selling the OSU brand name, facilities and tradition to go after 4* and 5* guys from coast to coast. Whereas OSU would snag 3 stars and the occasional 4* and 5* from FL and GA, now Meyer is going after and plucking 5-stars like the Vonn Bell's, McMillan's, Bosas and Trey Johnson's right out of the heart of SEC country. Tressel recruited heavy in Ohio whereas Meyer seems to be going 50%+ out of state (12 OOS and 6 Ohio kids this year, but Ohio is down this year in HS recruits). He even called out other B1G coaches for being lazy and not going harder after the top talent down South.

In many places, Florida is essentially Ohio South plus adding in Urban's deep connections at key pipeline schools in Florida, Georgia and up the mid-Atlantic. Anywhere but Alabama, Miss and LA seems to be open territory for Meyer. Also, OSU's alumni base is second only to Ohio itself down here. The only school where you see more gear than OSU would be the Gators (and now FSU, but not as much as you'd think). Ohio transplants are everywhere so a lot of HS players have some deep Ohio ties in their family (Carlos Hyde, Joey Bosa, etc.)

On Day 1 upon taking the job, Urban made it a requirement that all his assistants recruit with their "hair on fire". He considers it integral to the job description. Barring a year with limited scholarships, UM will deliver a top-5 recruiting class every year he is at OSU.
    Last edited by oregonred; 12-17-2013 at 01:23 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I found it interesting in the Dispatch article that McMillan mentions Fickell as a primary reason for choosing the Buckeyes. Of course, I'm still of a mind that the blame on Fickell may be misplaced and that more talent on D will make him a much better coach
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I found it interesting in the Dispatch article that McMillan mentions Fickell as a primary reason for choosing the Buckeyes. Of course, I'm still of a mind that the blame on Fickell may be misplaced and that more talent on D will make him a much better coach
    Fickell deserves heat for the performance of the D this year, but I think some fans are taking it way to far. I don't know how to articulate this well, but it seemed like the biggest problem with the D this year was that they never settled into a scheme. They seemed very confused a lot of the time and adjustments were slow. I don't know if that is on one coach or the whole staff, so its hard to know how much blame to lay onto Fickell.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Fickell deserves heat for the performance of the D this year, but I think some fans are taking it way to far. I don't know how to articulate this well, but it seemed like the biggest problem with the D this year was that they never settled into a scheme. They seemed very confused a lot of the time and adjustments were slow. I don't know if that is on one coach or the whole staff, so its hard to know how much blame to lay onto Fickell.
    It was all on the pass coverage squad. They were great against the run, front 7 held their own all year both on run and pass. Its all on the backfield. They just plain stunk. Last I saw, folks were blaming Tressel for that, and he's in Admin at Akron now, so...

It was all on the pass coverage squad. They were great against the run, front 7 held their own all year both on run and pass. Its all on the backfield. They just plain stunk. Last I saw, folks were blaming Tressel for that, and he's in Admin at Akron now, so...
    I think we had a very inconsistent pass rush. That is partly what I mean about not settling on a scheme. When they wanted to dial it up and get after the QB they did, but at times they seemed to think the back 4 were good enough to cover without pressue and they aren't.

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    OSU and Meyer hoping to grab another top Southern recruit tomorrow. Top 100 WR Johnnie Dixon from here in Palm Beach Gardens announcing tomorrow. Between Bama, OSU and the Canes with OSU and the U as the final decision. OSU seems to be the favorite.
    Meyer and staff pull another one North. Dixon to The Ohio State University over Bama and the Canes

Meyer, Saban and Al Golden all with in home visits in the last week.

Plans to enroll in January, same as Raekwon McMillan. Physical WR from Florida 7A champion West Palm Beach Dwyer.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I think we had a very inconsistent pass rush. That is partly what I mean about not settling on a scheme. When they wanted to dial it up and get after the QB they did, but at times they seemed to think the back 4 were good enough to cover without pressue and they aren't.
    Tressel never would have had a defense that bad. There I said it, I feel better.

I do think that the defense got caught in transition this season. Shazier is an impact player and Roby could have been. Bosa developed into one but that was pretty much it on the defense. I think the loss of Christian Bryant can't be underestimated, he may not have been great, but he would have been a steady presence in the back 7.

Urban hinted at it quite a bit early that the LB corps was going to be a work in progress. Shazier was great but he was about it. As the season went along he was used more and more in blitzed and at times seemed like he was blitzing on every single play. As for the secondary I don't know if they used Roby's skills to their potential. I just don't think any one developed into an above average DB as the season wore on. While Corey Brown did an admirable job filling in at S, it says something when at OSU it takes you until you are a S and an injury to wind up in the stating lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Tressel never would have had a defense that bad. There I said it, I feel better.

I do think that the defense got caught in transition this season. Shazier is an impact player and Roby could have been. Bosa developed into one but that was pretty much it on the defense. I think the loss of Christian Bryant can't be underestimated, he may not have been great, but he would have been a steady presence in the back 7.

Urban hinted at it quite a bit early that the LB corps was going to be a work in progress. Shazier was great but he was about it. As the season went along he was used more and more in blitzed and at times seemed like he was blitzing on every single play. As for the secondary I don't know if they used Roby's skills to their potential. I just don't think any one developed into an above average DB as the season wore on. While Corey Brown did an admirable job filling in at S, it says something when at OSU it takes you until you are a S and an injury to wind up in the stating lineup.
    Well, how much of that was style? How much did Tressel ball protect and elevate the D? The D was bad this year, but comparing it to Tressel/Heacock D's is not an apples to apples comparison due to totally different philosophies of game plans and execution.

"So Fla Red"

Well, how much of that was style? How much did Tressel ball protect and elevate the D? The D was bad this year, but comparing it to Tressel/Heacock D's is not an apples to apples comparison due to totally different philosophies of game plans and execution.
    True, but the defense has gone downhill since Fickell's interim year and his subsequently becoming the Co-D Coordinator. Quite a few misses and injuries in the LB core.

The defensive PPG over the past 3 years has been shocking compared to the Tresselball decade.

Of course teams now have to gameplan to score 30+ points against OSU to have a chance now that OSU is armed with an actual modern offense (MSU game playcalling not withstanding).

Reading Fickell turned down the FAU job. That would have been a good resolution to the situation.

I blame Tressel for not recruiting a decent safety since Kurt Coleman. They had one in Jeremy Cash, an All American at Duke after he transfered from Ohio State, but he was homesick and left before last season.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Reading Fickell turned down the FAU job. That would have been a good resolution to the situation.
    It would have been a pay cut.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

True, but the defense has gone downhill since Fickell's interim year and his subsequently becoming the Co-D Coordinator. Quite a few misses and injuries in the LB core.

The defensive PPG over the past 3 years has been shocking compared to the Tresselball decade.

Of course teams now have to gameplan to score 30+ points against OSU to have a chance now that OSU is armed with an actual modern offense (MSU game playcalling not withstanding).

That still doesn't answer the weight of talent vs. coaching. If Meyer is truly a top 5 coach, then its on him if his DC is as poor as it is believed by those calling for Fickell's head.

What can Buckeye fans tell me about Everett Withers? He's rumored to be a candidate for the head job at James Madison.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    What can Buckeye fans tell me about Everett Withers? He's rumored to be a candidate for the head job at James Madison.

His dad, Bill was a pretty good singer.
    Witty signature.

16. Likes:

Chip R (12-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    He is currently part of the defensive axis of evil along with Fickell and Coombs, but is a very good coach and recruiter. I believe he is the assitant head coach as well. I've heard he is also at the top of Army's list for the HC job.

Turn Off Ads?