Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 62 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio State Football 2013

Re: Ohio State Football 2013

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Big Ten fans can't comprehend the intricacies of SEC brand rivalries! That's just awesome!! Yeah, it's really hard to understand why the balance of college fandom has such difficulty with many (not all) SEC fans. It's not enough to say that the football culture is "different", which everyone knows, but it's that we "can't comprehend" it. I honestly laughed out loud when I read that. It's been a while since I read something on RZ that took me by surprise. But to be fair, I'm guessing some of the other SEC fans on this board are rolling their eyes just as much.

But hey, "it's not an insult" (which is exactly what someone would say who is about to insult you)!!
    That post was only an insult if you were looking for an insult. Reread it for content-it wasn't denigrating big ten football. It was arguing the SEC has alot of loons. I actually complemented "you" unless you think it's comprehensible that a person who neither attended the university he roots for (strangely though the love only extends to it's football program) nor is affiliated with it in any tangible fashion would dump gallons of poison in a public square of a rival because of some perceived slight to a statue that never happened. Seriously, a grown man was willing to go to jail to defend an effigy against an urban myth because he couldn't emotionally handle the success of student athletes who play for a program that rivals his adopted team. It was a blow to the man's self worth so terrible he had to lash out in a way that caused thousands of dollars of damage to public property. Do you really find that comprehensible?

But back to the grander point. I understand the concept of rivalry so it's not in inability to comprehend the concept that allows me to argue Meyer has a few screws loose in order to force scouts to wear OSU swag in order for them to do their jobs.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Buckeye View Post
    There is NO bigger rivalry in college football then Ohio State-Michigan. Nothing in the SEC compares to The Game. I have been to the Auburn-Alabama game, LSU-Florida, and Florida-FSU, and none of them even came close the intensity of Ohio State-Michigan.
    It's obviously subjective and obviously I disagree as I have been immersed in Big Ten, Pac-10, Big East and SEC gameday tradition and I prefer SEC. But then again, no one claimed Ohio State-Michigan wasn't special and no one claimed that Big Ten fans didn't understand rivalry games. Someone did argue SEC fans couldn't understand the mystique of OSU/Michigan and that's clearly a patently untenable position. And I seriously doubt Big Ten fans truly understand the Alabama/Auburn dynamic unless they've been immersed in it (and again before some one wrinkles their undergarments NO WHERE has one argued SEC rivalry is "better" though strangely some are arguing the converse). It's a completely different brand of fanaticism that frankly isn't close to rational.
    Last edited by jojo; 08-26-2013 at 06:01 PM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Seriously, a grown man was willing to go to jail to defend an effigy against an urban myth because he couldn't emotionally handle the success of student athletes who play for a program that rivals his adopted team.
    One mentally ill guy doesn't really say anything about anything, one way or the other.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    One mentally ill guy doesn't really say anything about anything, one way or the other.
    There are thousands of Updykes who are upset.....that they didn't think of it first. People were lining up for his autograph in New Orleans and he hasnt had to buy his own drinks since he called Finebaum.

To claim Updyke is an anomaly just indicates that one doesn't really understand the dynamics of that particular rivalry.

At what point does it become obvious to everyone that a person's clear intent in a thread is to troll everyone else participating?

I sense we crossed that line long ago.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

7. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-27-2013),BillDoran (08-26-2013),jimbo (08-27-2013),RedFanAlways1966 (08-27-2013),VottoFan54 (08-27-2013)

Rivalries are subjective, but clearly it's not just Big Ten fans that view the OSU-UM game as the best in college football. Poll after poll that has been taken asking fans to vote for the best, it comes out on top.

Like this one with over 26,000 respondents:

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/post...gest-rivalries

The term "best" is highly subjective, but it's more than just the opinion of Big Ten fans, clearly. That doesn't mean there aren't other great rivalries out there, but that one takes the cake. What separates that one, individually, is that unlike most other big rivalries, this one involves teams from different states. That makes it far more impressive.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

If discussing how Meyer runs his program is considered off topic and something that elicits an emotional response (per the wiki definition of troll), this is a strange buckeye thread indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    There are thousands of Updykes who are upset.....that they didn't think of it first. People were lining up for his autograph in New Orleans and he hasnt had to buy his own drinks since he called Finebaum.

To claim Updyke is an anomaly just indicates that one doesn't really understand the dynamics of that particular rivalry.
    He's the only one who did it, because he's mentally ill. He didn't poison the trees because the rivalry is such a big deal, he did it because he's mentally ill.

Getting an autograph from the guy is a novelty item, meaningless.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

For a Level Playing Field

Good to see all the Jim Bobs in parts of Bama have somethin' to proud of, Virgell. "Mama, I want the name signed thang of that wonderful man who killed trees with poison. He is my hero and maybe he is my daddy! He makes me a proud SEC fan. What thang can we kill next to show how greats of a rivalry we gots?"

12. Likes:

jimbo (08-27-2013)

Which is it? Only Buckeye fans can understand a college football rivalry because:

1) Harvey U is mentally ill and represents no one and therefore is no way a symbol for any segment of any fanbase or,

2) Harvey U is the quintessential symbol of ALL SEC fans and apparently that means SEC fans are uneducated, uncultured, unsophisticated and therefore incapable?

BTW, neither leads logically to the conclusion that it's improper to suggest Meyer has some screws loose if he is forcing pro scouts to wear OSU swag in order for them to do their jobs (which by the way is a view that isn't fanatical).
    Last edited by jojo; 08-27-2013 at 07:38 AM.

Seriously, mods. If this isn't trolling, I don't know what it (wiki definition irrelevant).
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

15. Likes:

BillDoran (08-27-2013),jimbo (08-27-2013)

Seriously, mods. If this isn't trolling, I don't know what it (wiki definition irrelevant).
    And again, discussing extreme behavior by the man running the program which has also become a topic of discussion on national radio shows is not trolling-it's a legitimate topic and frankly it wasn't even a major point. If you can only see insults in our interactions (which is not a fair reading of my posts IMHO), then please put me on ignore.
    Last edited by jojo; 08-27-2013 at 11:01 AM.

Having attended both an SEC school and a Big Ten school, I would opine that the OSU-Mich rivalry is the biggest. The problem is there's no close 2nd in the Big Ten, although perhaps Mich-Mich St is getting there. In the SEC there are rivalry games every week. There's never a snooze week in the SEC.

Just post the video of Kristi Malzahn and move on.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Just post the video of Kristi Malzahn and move on.
    To be fair, that was liberally edited and this would be much more effective:

https://vine.co/v/he7uiWuIP6D

Turn Off Ads?