Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: We have to talk about Corky

Re: We have to talk about Corky

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Did Corky get pulled because he got hurt in the collision today, or was that just a straight pinch hit on Dusty's part? I know the other guy got hurt, but didn't think Corky did. Maybe he had some lingering effects and that's why he was pulled?
    hurt in the collision

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

They said right quad contusion during the broadcast. Corky was clearly limping in the dugout before he headed down the tunnel.

I didn't get to see the game and saw the PH. I just figured Corky burned through his two oxygen tanks for the game on two doubles and didn't want to chance it.

Catcher Corky Miller connected on a pair of RBI doubles in back-to-back innings, giving him multiple extra-base hits in a game for just the fourth time in his career, en route to a 6-5 win against Oakland at Great American Ball Park. Those would be Miller's only two at-bats of the game, as he later left with a right quad contusion, but they were enough to help Cincinnati to consecutive wins for the first time since July 24-25 against the Giants and Dodgers.

With the team because of a left wrist injury to Ryan Hanigan, Miller has spent most of the year with Triple-A Louisville. In his 13th season playing professional baseball, the 37-year-old journeyman logged the first two-double game of his career Wednesday.
    http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index..._home&c_id=cin

6. Likes:

Big Klu (08-07-2013),SirFelixCat (08-07-2013),Tom Servo (08-07-2013)

Corky Miller is the oldest catcher to start for the Reds since Bob Scheffing in 1951

8. Likes:

cumberlandreds (08-08-2013),dabvu2498 (08-07-2013),OnBaseMachine (08-07-2013)

Won the game for the REDS today (and Bruce).

Textbook blocking of the plate. Ball or no ball, there was not going to be a run scored. Knocked the guy out of the game.

Way to go Miller!

10. Likes:

remdog (08-07-2013)

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I'm enjoying talking about Corky!

Love the trivia from WOY. Oldest catcher to ever start a game for the Reds. (EDIT: Nevermind, on Wednesdays I find it difficult to read. Oldest SINCE Scheffling in '51.)

Wow, would not have guessed that. Me and the Corkster are the same age (37). For some reason I think of him as old (yet awesome) and me as a spry youngster.

More Corky trivia (which I bet many on here already know, but just in case...) his given name is Corky. It's not like it's a nickname. That's hilarious to me. Gotta love it.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Won the game for the REDS today (and Bruce).

Textbook blocking of the plate. Ball or no ball, there was not going to be a run scored. Knocked the guy out of the game.

Way to go Miller!
    If he goes out like that ... what a hell of a way to go out. First two-double game of his career and then blocks the plate like the man's man that he is for a key out. How key? Check the final score.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    They said right quad contusion during the broadcast. Corky was clearly limping in the dugout before he headed down the tunnel.
    the mustache canŽt be hurt! it slows him down a little bit => weŽll see less stolen bases from him

If I'm Corky, I'm retiring right now, going out on top, after his best game ever.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

15. Likes:

mdccclxix (08-08-2013)

Corky Miller goes to all fields with XB power like nobody else in baseball...at least for today.

17. Likes:

Tom Servo (08-08-2013)

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

19. Likes:

Nasty_Boy (08-07-2013),Norm Chortleton (08-07-2013),powersackers (08-07-2013),tomnuetten (08-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Great article on Corky. It could have come across as one big cliche after another but instead it was clearly genuine and heartfelt.

Above all else, Corky Miller is a dad. So even though the veteran catcher was struggling to pull on his jeans and limping around with a sore right knee, when son Chance brought him an unopened can of soup, wanting a post-game snack, Miller limped into the players' dining room, leaving behind a pack of cameras and reporters.

"When your kid wants soup, you get him soup," Miller said upon his return.

"He epitomizes what we do as baseball players," said Bruce, who was a month removed from his 11th birthday when the Reds signed Miller as a non-drafted college free agent out of the University of Nevada-Reno. "He's been around forever, he's a grinder, he's a good guy to have on the bench, for him to come out and have a big day is awesome."

It's not inconceivable that Wednesday was the 37-year-old Miller's final big-league game. A journeyman catcher, he not only left the game after the top half of the fifth inning, he knew going into the game that Ryan Hanigan is close to coming back for the Reds. And when Hanigan returns, Miller knows he'll likely be headed back to Louisville to finish the rest of the month with the Bats, that is if he isn't headed to the disabled list.
    His family will head back home to Chicago and Miller could be headed back to Louisville, to finish up his 16th season in professional baseball.

"I don't know if they'll be able to see me again, because school's going to start and who knows what's going to happen next year," Miller said. "I go out there every day like it may be my last and try to help the ball club win."

21. Likes:

mdccclxix (08-08-2013),RadfordVA (08-08-2013),RedlegJake (08-08-2013),remdog (08-08-2013)

All seriousness aside, watch this guy round second base - he's fundamentally sound!

46 second mark:

http://wapc.mlb.com/cin/play/?conten...77986&c_id=cin

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    If I'm Corky, I'm retiring right now, going out on top, after his best game ever.
    Could be his best ever. He may have liked this game more at the time. He homered twice and drove in 4. Now his team did not win but it was only his 13th game of his career. He was 25 years old and may have thought, hey I think I can do this and I might be a big leaguer for quite awhile.

Currently yesterday probably meant more cause the team won and he knows how the story has played out of his career. He knows those days were few and far between and appreciates it more than ever.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...00110030.shtml

24. Likes:

remdog (08-08-2013)

Turn Off Ads?