Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: We have to talk about Corky

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

We have to talk about Corky

He hit .203/.288/.344 at Louisville as a 37 year old. He has a .563 OPS spanning parts of eleven Major League seasons. Defensively, he's beyond abysmal. I am okayish with whatever intangible mojo he has granting him a slot as the AAA back up. But why/how is he on a MLB roster, particularly a team looking to bring home a World Series? When does this stop? This is the single most maddening thing about the 2013 Reds, Hanigan has been hurt/bad all year, and there hasn't been anyone brought into Louisville. Now, I am not saying the person they'd get would be any good. But I refuse to believe that there isn't anyone out there who could be had for nothing who could beat out Corky Miller. Why settle for historically terrible when there is an opportunity for bad?

2. Likes:

cincrazy (07-22-2013),coachpipe (07-22-2013),DocRed (07-22-2013),Edd Roush (07-22-2013),kfm (07-27-2013),LexRedsFan (07-22-2013),OGB (07-27-2013),reds44 (07-22-2013),Stingray (07-22-2013)

Re: We have to talk about Corky

The worst part is the Reds have a catcher in AAA with an .801 OPS this season and a .743 career minor league OPS.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=ashley001nev
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

4. Likes:

coachpipe (07-22-2013),Edd Roush (07-22-2013),MBZags (07-22-2013),OnBaseMachine (07-22-2013),Tom Servo (07-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    The worst part is the Reds have a catcher in AAA with an .801 OPS this season and a .743 career minor league OPS.

They use Corky because he will clear waivers and can be dropped from the 40 man roster when Ryan comes back. They must believe Nevin Ashley would not clear waivers

6. Likes:

dwyerbrg (07-24-2013)

I kind of assumed Ashley must only have one leg or something for him not to be up. Has anyone seen him play?

8. Likes:

Ghosts of 1990 (07-24-2013)

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbley View Post
    I kind of assumed Ashley must only have one leg or something for him not to be up. Has anyone seen him play?
    When a 28-year-old catcher with a .743 career minor-league OPS has never gotten the call to the big leagues, the first thing that sprung to my mind was, "he must not look major-league caliber behind the plate even if you squint real hard."

But yes, I agree with the general idea -- if Hanigan's an ongoing injury concern and Corky is what they think the best AAA option is, we need a better AAA option.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    When a 28-year-old catcher with a .743 career minor-league OPS has never gotten the call to the big leagues, the first thing that sprung to my mind was, "he must not look major-league caliber behind the plate even if you squint real hard."

But yes, I agree with the general idea -- if Hanigan's an ongoing injury concern and Corky is what they think the best AAA option is, we need a better AAA option.
    Doesn't say much for the Reds' organizational depth behind the plate. No catchers in the pipeline?

Quote Originally Posted by Old NDN View Post
    Doesn't say much for the Reds' organizational depth behind the plate. No catchers in the pipeline?
    They went all in on Mesoraco and bet on Hanigan staying healthy. Barnhart might be a good big league catcher someday but isn't anywhere near ready. That said I'd definitely take him over Corky.

Could he be any worse behind the plate than Mes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

28 WHAT? That can't be right...

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon7 View Post
    28 WHAT? That can't be right...
    Nevin Ashley, not Corky.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbley View Post
    If you Google Ashley, there are articles attesting to his excellent defense. Apparently, he was once named the Rays Organizational Defensive Player of the Year. The articles says he has an excellent throwing arm and lofty minor league caught stealing numbers.

The issues with him seem to be his bat, although he apparently has hit well at Louisville.

It could be that the Reds wanted someone on the forty man roster for very short MLB stints this year, and that was Corky. Also perhaps they wanted major league experience. I guess.

16. Likes:

joshua (07-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If you Google Ashley, there are articles attesting to his excellent defense. Apparently, he was once named the Rays Organizational Defensive Player of the Year. The articles says he has an excellent throwing arm and lofty minor league caught stealing numbers.

The issues with him seem to be his bat, although he apparently has hit well at Louisville.

It could be that the Reds wanted someone on the forty man roster for very short MLB stints this year, and that was Corky. Also perhaps they wanted major league experience. I guess.
    After taking a closer look, I see what you mean. His hitting stats are pretty bad up until the last year or two, when the third time around the block/too old for the level phenomenon started kicking in.

Still. If he's good behind the dish, then it's hard to argue he'd be worse.

Corky's mustache trumps all.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Corky's mustache trumps all.
    It's the intimidation factor of the mustache that keeps him with Cincy.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Another Mustache Curse is the last thing this franchise needs.

Offend the the stache'? 20 years of Marge Part II.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Turn Off Ads?