Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: We have to talk about Corky

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Re: We have to talk about Corky

I think part of the reason for Corky is when his time is up in Cincy (for now) he can clear waivers and be removed from the 40-man when he goes back to Louisville. I don't know if that is true for any of the other catchers.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

2. Turn Off Ads?

And what's up with that little ninja move he makes as if he's going to gun someone out who wanders too far off 1st after a pitch?

Corky, one of a few franchise head-scratchers.

4. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (07-22-2013),TRF (07-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    When a 28-year-old catcher with a .743 career minor-league OPS has never gotten the call to the big leagues, the first thing that sprung to my mind was, "he must not look major-league caliber behind the plate even if you squint real hard."

But yes, I agree with the general idea -- if Hanigan's an ongoing injury concern and Corky is what they think the best AAA option is, we need a better AAA option.
    Doesn't say much for the Reds' organizational depth behind the plate. No catchers in the pipeline?

Quote Originally Posted by Old NDN View Post
    Doesn't say much for the Reds' organizational depth behind the plate. No catchers in the pipeline?
    They went all in on Mesoraco and bet on Hanigan staying healthy. Barnhart might be a good big league catcher someday but isn't anywhere near ready. That said I'd definitely take him over Corky.

I'd bring up Ashley and let Barnhart develop. This is simply a case of the old boy network that is still strong as ever in baseball. They are repaying the "good soldier" career with a brief stint. If other options are too expensive or about equal, I applaud that. When the player is over the hill and done, then reward him with a coaching gig or managerial spot in the minors, not a role on a contending squad, especially when the banged up condition of Mes and Hanigan may mean some meaningful playing time. I like Corky, but I wish he'd take a hard look and decide it's time to coach - or that a member of the Reds FO would tell him that.

It's puzzling....the Reds take a hard line not to bring Rolen back because they feel he's done but then they keep Corky hanging around when he is not even half the player at the same point in time.

8. Likes:

Ghosts of 1990 (07-24-2013),joshua (07-23-2013),Old school 1983 (07-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    When a 28-year-old catcher with a .743 career minor-league OPS has never gotten the call to the big leagues, the first thing that sprung to my mind was, "he must not look major-league caliber behind the plate even if you squint real hard."

But yes, I agree with the general idea -- if Hanigan's an ongoing injury concern and Corky is what they think the best AAA option is, we need a better AAA option.
    Could he be any worse behind the plate than Mes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBrick View Post
    And what's up with that little ninja move he makes as if he's going to gun someone out who wanders too far off 1st after a pitch?

Corky, one of a few franchise head-scratchers.
    Yeah I chuckle every time he does that.

11. Likes:

Tom Servo (07-22-2013)

The Reds missed the boat last winter when they let Navaro leave.

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

13. Likes:

TRF (07-22-2013)

Ashley has a career 36% rate at throwing out baserunners. Other than that, I can't think why he's not already on the roster. Well, maybe it 's just Dusty liking the crafty veterans.

1. Great thread title. One of the year's best.

2. Reds did have Olivo this spring. He's a major league catcher. But unlike Navarro last year, Olivo wasn't compliant. He left for a major league job elsewhere.

3. As I said in yesterday's game thread, with due respect to Corky who's had a good career as an MLB backup/AAA player, at this stage Walt shouldn't be using him at the big league level. Not on a contending team.

4. Overall, the catcher's spot has been a serious problem this season. The one bright spot is that Mes has had quite a bit of playing time. I'm seeing improvement defensively and I always thought his hitting would come around.

Of the prospects now at the major league level, I'm most hopeful about Mes for a number of reasons.

Every time I see Corky Miller in the dugout, up to bat, or behind the plate I get angry.

On second thought, maybe that is a personal problem...

Navarro is awesome against LHs, pedestrian against RHs .214/.271/.398in 108 abs

Still trumps Corky.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbley View Post
    I kind of assumed Ashley must only have one leg or something for him not to be up. Has anyone seen him play?
    If you Google Ashley, there are articles attesting to his excellent defense. Apparently, he was once named the Rays Organizational Defensive Player of the Year. The articles says he has an excellent throwing arm and lofty minor league caught stealing numbers.

The issues with him seem to be his bat, although he apparently has hit well at Louisville.

It could be that the Reds wanted someone on the forty man roster for very short MLB stints this year, and that was Corky. Also perhaps they wanted major league experience. I guess.

19. Likes:

joshua (07-23-2013)

Would be great to have Navarro, but it only would have made sense on another minor league deal. The Cubs gave him a major league deal. Not much the Reds could do unless they wanted to carry three catchers.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Corky batting is painful....remember in little league when that kid on your team that truly stunk came up and you'd sit there thinking "I hope he doesnt swing at all...our best bet is taking a chance on 4 balls before 3 strikes." That's how I feel watching Corky....and even if he walks there will be a 6 minute delay waiting on him to get to first.

Turn Off Ads?