Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you think that there is any chance we could keep Choo on this team?

Re: Do you think that there is any chance we could keep Choo on this team?

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Red View Post
    I'd rather re-sign Arroyo and lose Choo. Would love to keep both.
    I agree. If we let Arroyo walk I would think teams would be lining up to pay him 20-30 million over 3 years.

I'd hate to see us lose Choo or Arroyo.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by xsteve1 View Post
    I think he ends up a Yankee.
    http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...is-suspensions
    On the other hand, a suspension lasting as long as has been proposed would save the Yankees about $34 million. More than just saved salary, that money wouldn't count against the team's luxury tax threshold. That could open the door for the Yankees to aggressively pursue a variety of high-priced players, ranging from re-signing Robinson Cano and Hiroki Kuroda to courting free agents like Shin Soo-Choo, Jacoby Ellsbury, Matt Garza, Carlos Beltran, Brian McCann, Hunter Pence, and others.
    Yeah, it's certainly possible.

Yankees, Mets, Rangers, Giants, Mariners, Cubs, Phillies, Redsox, Tigers...

It seems near impossible for Reds to sign Choo.

no need to retain arroyo at all

Quote Originally Posted by prhof14 View Post
    I agree. If we let Arroyo walk I would think teams would be lining up to pay him 20-30 million over 3 years.

I'd hate to see us lose Choo or Arroyo.
    Why keep Arroyo? The Reds simply can't keep everyone. The Votto and Phillips contracts surprised me but you have to remember the Reds are not the Yankees. They have to pick and choose who to sign for 10+ million a year. Cueto will hopefully be healthy next year and Cingrani needs a spot in the rotation. He has had a nice career with the Reds but it is time to move on.

As for Choo while I would love to keep him, I don't see any way possible. He will command too much money. The only way is if he gives us a discount because likes Cincinnati. I still would be hesitant to give him a lot of years. I don't think that would be in the interest of the team.

6. Likes:

coachpipe (08-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Why keep Arroyo? The Reds simply can't keep everyone. The Votto and Phillips contracts surprised me but you have to remember the Reds are not the Yankees. They have to pick and choose who to sign for 10+ million a year. Cueto will hopefully be healthy next year and Cingrani needs a spot in the rotation. He has had a nice career with the Reds but it is time to move on.

As for Choo while I would love to keep him, I don't see any way possible. He will command too much money. The only way is if he gives us a discount because likes Cincinnati. I still would be hesitant to give him a lot of years. I don't think that would be in the interest of the team.
    To me, you keep Arroyo because you know what you're getting. That said, I think he's secondary to trying to keep Choo at this point.

guess who has more walks than K's
    Encarnacion who hit his 30th homer today, boy the reds paid a lot for Rolen's "leadership" as well as his error in game 3

Quote Originally Posted by bob jones View Post
    guess who has more walks than K's
    Encarnacion who hit his 30th homer today, boy the reds paid a lot for Rolen's "leadership" as well as his error in game 3
    Almost as much as the Oakland A's who picked him up in 2010 after Toronto waived EE. Oh wait the A's then released him and he signed with Toronto again. Seems like a lot of teams gave up on EE and his current performance in Toronto is two transactions after the Trade in question.
    Plus EE and Ruben Mateo sure was a huge price that Texas paid to get Rob Bell.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...ncared01.shtml

I agree that the reds got the best of the rob bell trade, but to disparage ee's performance is not fair, after all the present reds third baseman is in throes of an 0-30 performance and last years "clubhouse leader" lost game 3 of the playoffs

I was not trying to disparage EE's performance but rather to point out how little it has to do with the trade. He was available two more times after being waived by teams after he left the Reds. He was hardly seen as a big price to pay at the time and at the time most Reds fans, at lest on here, were more upset/ concerned by the loss of the minor league pitchers than they were by the loss of EE.

good point I am surprised too but the guy is a fantastic hitter

good point I am surprised too but the guy is a fantastic hitter
    He is an excellent hitter these days but he is also no longer playing third.

I have often thought where he would play with the reds who desperately need right handed prowess, he certainly is a butcher at third but he is so much better than rolen or frazier at the plate

I agree that the reds got the best of the rob bell trade, but to disparage ee's performance is not fair, after all the present reds third baseman is in throes of an 0-30 performance and last years "clubhouse leader" lost game 3 of the playoffs
    Do you mean game 3 or the 5th game at home?

I mean the error that Rolen made in the tenth inning of game three when the giants barely had a pulse

I mean the error that Rolen made in the tenth inning of game three when the giants barely had a pulse
    To me it isn't fair to compare EE to Frazier or Rolen because EE is not playing 3b. I think that as bad as he was at 3b, he wouldn't be the offensive player he is today if he were still at 3b because it seemed like he let his defense affect his offense too much.

Turn Off Ads?