Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Promotions?

Promotions?

Now that we're past the halfway point in the season, I'd love for redsof72 or someone else in the know to shed some color on why some of these (fairly obvious in my mind) promotions haven't happened yet?

Juan Silva to Pensacola
    Seth Mejias-Brean to Bakersfield
    Jesse Winker to Bakersfield
    Phil Ervin to Dayton
    Ben Lively to Dayton
    Jacob Constante to Goodyear/AZL

Others that might be less obvious but still could or should happen IMO:

Tucker Barnhart to Louisville (he could likely help in Cincy next year, his defense is ready)
    Michael Lorenzen to Bakersfield (if he is in fact going to be a reliever, he should move really quickly)
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Promotions?

Winker hasn't been promoted because the Reds don't promote high school kids from Dayton except for the last 3-5 days of the season in a situation where another team needs real help. I don't recall the last time a teenager left Dayton for more than a couple of days to move up a level.

The others, I have no idea, but don't have a problem with them not happening either. Except for Constante. That one does confuse me a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Winker hasn't been promoted because the Reds don't promote high school kids from Dayton except for the last 3-5 days of the season in a situation where another team needs real help. I don't recall the last time a teenager left Dayton for more than a couple of days to move up a level.

The others, I have no idea, but don't have a problem with them not happening either. Except for Constante. That one does confuse me a little bit.
    You don't think SMB to Bakersfield is fairly obvious or glaring?
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    You don't think SMB to Bakersfield is fairly obvious or glaring?
    Not really. The Reds want to get Vidal going. Promoting SMB right now moves SMB back to first base, where they would rather him not play so he can get his own time at third, where they envision him in the long run.

Sure, in a perfect scenario where Bakersfield had no one of note playing third base, I would probably say promote him. But that isn't the case.

You can say the same thing for Juan Silva still being in Bakersfield (though given that he wasn't even a starter in Bakersfield to begin the year tells you how the Reds feel about him). There isn't room for him in Pensacola right now with Rodriguez, LaMarre and Lutz as the starters while having Theo Bowe off of the bench.

There are 5 weeks left in the season. I don't see a 5 week promotion being a make-or-break for any of these guys. Just play every day and leaving them where they are means that more guys deserving to play every day are doing just that.

visa issues?

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    visa issues?
    I guess it could be, though I imagine given his status, we would have heard about that by now if it were the case.

While we're at it, does anyone have any kind of injury/health update on Dan Langfield or Mason Felt?
    Go BLUE!!!

While we're at it, does anyone have any kind of injury/health update on Dan Langfield or Mason Felt?
    Langfield had surgery two weeks ago or so.

Langfield had surgery two weeks ago or so.
    What kind of surgery? When will he be ready - next Spring?
    Go BLUE!!!

What kind of surgery? When will he be ready - next Spring?
    Don't know the answer to either.

I just know he was here in Cincinnati at Beacon Orthopedics, tweeted out a picture of him post surgery in a sling and was talking about rehab.

Don't know the answer to either.

I just know he was here in Cincinnati at Beacon Orthopedics, tweeted out a picture of him post surgery in a sling and was talking about rehab.
    Was he sitting next to Sean Marshall?

Wrong thread

From your list...

Mejias-Brean is ready, but Vidal is going to play third in Bakersfield. SMB could move up and play first if Bakersfield promotes Selsky (or an outfielder, then move Selsky back to the outfield). Not sure if that will happen.

I could see Lorenzen going up any time. There is an odd murmur from scouts that he will be in the big leagues before the end of the season. Not sure if they think that will be based on performance or contract. He is the real deal.

Ervin...not ready and no vacancies in the Dayton outfield. Tools are there, but .290 in Billings translates to about .230 in Dayton. No reason to do that. Still raw.

Silva...organizational player. When they are signing guys like Durango and Mather, that tells you something.

Lively...the issue here is they want to limit his innings and you can have a starter going 3 innings per start on a staff when you have a 12-man bullpen but not on a team with 7-8 in the pen. If he is promoted, he would have to pitch out of the bullpen. Would not rule that out.

Constante...I think there is a visa issue.

Winker...He is a player but not ready to move up. I love the kid but still some things to work on. He's hitting .278. If it was .338, might be another story.

Barnhart...not really a reason to move him up and Pensacola sure needs him. P-cola and Bakersfield are already awful and you don't want to put your players in a situation that is absolutely embarrassing. Guys on teams getting drubbed nightly do not play/develop at the same level of urgency.

15. Likes:

mace (07-24-2013),OesterPoster (07-25-2013)

Turn Off Ads?