Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Dominican LHP Luis Tejada for $600,000

Reds sign Dominican LHP Luis Tejada for $600,000

http://www.baseballamerica.com/inter...r-luis-tejada/

19 year old with mid 90's fastball along with a slider and developing changeup. Sounds like a solid signing.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 07-24-2013 at 02:01 PM.

2. Likes:

coachpipe (07-24-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds sign Dominican LHP Luis Tejada for $600,000

I hear he has some problems with control. He was originally signed by the Braves for $125,000, but then MLB made him ineligible for one year because he lied about his age. In the meantime his fastball improved from the 88-92 mph range to the mid-nineties.

Not knowing how the rules work, I'd say he's headed to the DSL.

Edit: I guess I should have looked at your link first, because all of that info was in there LOL

5. Likes:

coachpipe (07-24-2013)

Nice to hear. Seems like a similar type signing to Constante.

Hopefully they can get those guys to Dayton at some point next year (once their visa issues clear up).
    Go BLUE!!!

7. Likes:

coachpipe (07-24-2013)

I wish they'd get busy signing some hitters

9. Likes:

mdccclxix (07-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I wish they'd get busy signing some hitters
    I am partial to the middle infielders coming out of Latin America, especially considering

1. The success of Latin American middle infielders
    2. The dearth of quality middle infielders in the last couple drafts
    3. The dearth of quality middle infielders currently in the Reds system.

Gleyber Torres was the guy I really wanted to see this year. Sucks he went to the Cubbies.
    Go BLUE!!!

Minorleagueball ranked him the 47th best International FA and compared him to Jacob Constante (printed back in April before they knew he would sign with the Reds):

47) Luis Tejada, LHP, 6'2" 185lbs, Dominican Republic

Trainer: Franklin Ferreira

One of the older prospects available for July 2nd, Tejada is a late blooming lefty pitcher in the mold of Luis Constante, who signed with Cincinnati recently for $725,000 as an over-age prospect. Like Constante, the 19-year-old Tejada is tall and projectable, and has really developed over the past year to fulfill that projection. He now features an intriguing power arsenal that includes a fastball that sits in the 90-93 range with a peak of 95, with a sharp 83-84mph slider, and a fringe-average changeup at 82-83mph. Tejada is described as having a smooth delivery. His command and control grade out at 5 presently with a future 6 projection. Is likely to get a bonus range of $500,000 or close to what Constante received.

Comparison: Rafael Perez
    Go BLUE!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post

Gleyber Torres was the guy I really wanted to see this year. Sucks he went to the Cubbies.
    I'm sure it was never even considered. He would have literally taken up every penny the Reds were allowed to spent.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I'm sure it was never even considered. He would have literally taken up every penny the Reds were allowed to spent.
    Yeah and?

Reds could also have traded fringy prospects for more cap space (like the Cubs did with our very own Ronald Torreyes)
    Go BLUE!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Yeah and?

Reds could also have traded fringy prospects for more cap space (like the Cubs did with our very own Ronald Torreyes)
    And spending your entire wad on one guy is not something teams want to do.

They may have been able to trade for more space though, but the Cubs spent what, half of their initial cap on the guy then traded for a few hundred thousand extra? That is a lot different than the Reds spending 95% on one guy, then adding enough to sign two more guys to 6 figures.

BTW with Cingrani up in the show, Guillon and Garrett in Dayton, and now Constante and Tejada in the DSL, Reds are starting to build a nice crop of southpaws to go along with all the righties in the system.
    Go BLUE!!!

1-1/2 to two years from now, with a bit of luck and guys staying healthy, the Reds are gonna have a heckuva pitching pipeline from top to bottom.

Yeah and?

Further proof that it is not difficult to expand your cap space:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...nal-money.html

I would have happily dealt a guy like Josh Ravin and Theo Bowe for the chance to sign a premier international guy like Torres (and still have room left over). Just saying.

Look at our top prospects. Yorman Rodriguez, Junior Arias, and Ismael Guillon are all top 15 guys, and all guys we signed out of the international market to six figure deals. Constante and Tejada could make that Top 15 soon as well (once they start pitching in full season ball). Even Juan Duran is making strides this month- certainly not the player we hoped when we signed him to a $2MM deal, but he's still only 21, and it seems to me that risks like this (for an aggregate $1-2MM per year) are worth taking for smaller market clubs. I'd certainly rather do that then sign/extend disposable parts like Logan Ondrusek to multiyear deals.

Of course this doesn't even touch on Aroldis Chapman, although he was admittedly a different kind of international free agent.
    Go BLUE!!!

I am partial to the middle infielders coming out of Latin America, especially considering

1. The success of Latin American middle infielders
    2. The dearth of quality middle infielders in the last couple drafts
    3. The dearth of quality middle infielders currently in the Reds system.

International players aside, I think their recent drafts have been too top heavy on pitching and it's showing in the hitting numbers throughout the minor league system

International players aside, I think their recent drafts have been too top heavy on pitching and it's showing in the hitting numbers throughout the minor league system
    Maybe it has hurt the hitting somewhat but pitching wins. As long as the Reds can cherry pick a really good hitting prospect or two each year, like Ervin this year, and Winker and Mejias-Brean the year before they'll be okay. Add Ortiz and some darkhorses like Arias and I still like the pitching emphasis.

Define recent. Ervin was the top pick this year. Last year they got Winker in the sandwich round. Higher round guys like Jeff Gelalich, Ryan Lamarre, Tanner Rahier, Devin Lohman, Brodie Greene and Gabriel Rosa haven't come through, but there is still time for some of them. Hamilton was a second rounder who has a lot of promise. I'm pretty happy they went with Stephenson in 2011 and Leake in 2009. They took Grandal in 2010 and before those were Yonder, Mesoraco and Stubbs.

Keep that pitching pipeline producing and they can trade the older pitchers who are getting expensive for high caliber guys who've already passed much of the minor league test and are at exact positions where we need them.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?