Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The ones who got away!

Just A Couple Johnny's OneManBand's Avatar

Re: The ones who got away!

Hamilton hurt.. When reading the thread I was thinking along deadline deals.. But after re-reading it Josh was a huge loss.. Money aside.. We found money for Votto, Phillips, Bruce, Cueto, Ludwick, Madson, Etc..

We may not of gotten Latos without moving Hamilton.. But his bat went on to bring him MVP honors the next year..

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 40YrRedsFan View Post
    Edwin Encarnacion?
    In many ways, not unlike trading away B.J Ryan, I'd classify this as a live now - pay later transaction. It still stings, though.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Just A Couple Johnny's OneManBand's Avatar

Greg Vaughn was another name I wish stayed.. He was good for this club the one year he was here.

Chad Mottola over Derek Jeter

6. Likes:

LexRedsFan (07-24-2013)

I don't consider Edwin Encarnacion a huge loss, because when we traded him in 2009, he was nowhere near having the success that started in 2012.

He had a lot of poor performances, as well as being released and free for anytime between 09 and 12.

8. Likes:

Tom Servo (07-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by OneManBand View Post
    Greg Vaughn was another name I wish stayed.. He was good for this club the one year he was here.
    I liked Vaughn too. Was the leader this team could sorely use now.

Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    I don't consider Edwin Encarnacion a huge loss, because when we traded him in 2009, he was nowhere near having the success that started in 2012.

He had a lot of poor performances, as well as being released and free for anytime between 09 and 12.
    Yep. I don't regret throwing in the towel on a guy in 2009, seeing all other teams pass on him, and having him finally bust out in 2012.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

11. Likes:

PepperJack (07-24-2013)

The Hamilton trade would probably be mentioned a lot more if we didn't end up winning a division title with Volquez on the roster and then winning another after using him as a piece in a trade.

13. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-24-2013)

If Travis Wood keeps pitching the way he does, and remains a viable bat in their lineup, he will be one of the ones that got away.

In January, 2006, the Reds signed an injured Grant Balfour and paid for his surgery and rehab. In October, 2006, Wayne Krivsky took over as GM and waived Balfour before Balfour had even finished his rehab.

Balfour is current the closer for the A's after six years as one of the league's best relievers. I never understood that move.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    In more recent times, Paul Oneil comes to mind
    Had he stayed with the Reds he would not have become what he was with the Yankees, the Reds wanted him to be a power hitter and the Yankees let him be who he was.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

17. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-25-2013)

the acquisition of marshall bridges was important

Quote Originally Posted by 40YrRedsFan View Post
    Mike Cuellar (released after pitching 2 games in 1959)
    You could add Claude Osteen to that too. Imagine the mid-late 60s with Cuellar-Osteen-Maloney-Ellis-OToole and Palmer had the Reds insisted on him rather than Pappas for Robby.

the reds decided to keep Howie Nunn instead of Osteen, they also felt Curt Flood was expendable for Ted Weiand

Quote Originally Posted by bob jones View Post
    the reds decided to keep Howie Nunn instead of Osteen, they also felt Curt Flood was expendable for Ted Weiand
    The flood trade was purely bigotry...with Pinson and Robby the Reds were afraid 3 black OFers would hurt attendance!

Turn Off Ads?