Turn Off Ads?
Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536 LastLast

Thread: 7/25/13 - Reds @ L.A.

"So Fla Red"

Re: 7/25/13 - Reds @ L.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Congratulations once again to Jay Bruce, who passed Brandon Phillips for 13th place on the Reds' all-time home run list!

DatDude not gonna like that

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Mathematically, yes, but realistically, hard.
    Well, baseball is hard. When the reds have a good west coast road trip it is a good sign. It's not unrealistic

"So Fla Red"

Hard to jump two teams assuming the Pirates are for real, but things are definitely looking a lot better for the Reds faithful than this time last week. 5 games in 4 days including no travel day to the West Coast. And with the bats waking up and good starting pitching the pen is in excellent shape for the rest of the roadtrip.

The Cardinals have just been ridiculous this season, I think it will be realistically very difficult to catch them.

5. Likes:

WVRedsFan (07-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Well, baseball is hard. When the reds have a good west coast road trip it is a good sign. It's not unrealistic
    it's what jump started us last season
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Hard to jump two teams assuming the Pirates are for real, but things are definitely looking a lot better for the Reds faithful than this time last week. 5 games in 4 days including no travel day to the West Coast. And with the bats waking up and good starting pitching the pen is in excellent shape for the rest of the roadtrip.

The Cardinals have just been ridiculous this season, I think it will be realistically very difficult to catch them.
    Cards rotation is not set up for big innings......I predict the pitching staff will start fading fast in late August. These guys have either not pitched a lot of innings, or have been injured. That does not translate well into September pitching.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Mathematically, yes, but realistically, hard. But in postseason anything can happen. Reds are on fire, but you never know. I like the chances of bypassing Pittsburgh better that winning the division.
    Duh. In any event, the Cardinals are playing well against inferior competiton but they will be lucky to go .500 over the next two weeks. Look at the schedule. we're not talking about the '27 Yankees here. Its up to the Redlegs to keep getting it done. Forget that wild card foolishness. if we focus on that, Seelig wins.

The pirates bullpen is already showing signs of being worn out and its still July. The card should regress

Plus we have some help on the way:

"Left fielder Ryan Ludwick went 0-for-1 with a walk and reached on catcher’s interference in his second game of rehab for Single-A Dayton."

11. Likes:

reds1869 (07-26-2013)

"So Fla Red"

Looks like the Cardinals are toast from the optimistic post game tone on the game thread Shaping up to be a fun last two months, that's for sure,

And to all a good night...

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    Cards rotation is not set up for big innings......I predict the pitching staff will start fading fast in late August. These guys have either not pitched a lot of innings, or have been injured. That does not translate well into September pitching.
    That's true...Waino is the only one that can pitch 8 or 9 innings. However, the pen is quite solid. Medium and late relief.

When Luddy gets back, with the Reds better D and base running, they have plenty of time to make it damn close. If the Cards can manage to take 4 of 5 from the Bucs...who knows? The Reds CAN be close, very close to the Cards in say, a week or 10 days.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Magdal View Post
    That's true...Waino is the only one that can pitch 8 or 9 innings. However, the pen is quite solid. Medium and late relief.

When Luddy gets back, with the Reds better D and base running, they have plenty of time to make it damn close. If the Cards can manage to take 4 of 5 from the Bucs...who knows? The Reds CAN be close, very close to the Cards in say, a week or 10 days.
    I'd vote for that. Bury the Bucs and let the Reds and Cards battle it out. I just don't see that, but I can hope.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Of course, the Reds have no cakewalk in the schedule either, and somehow, the Cards are 7 games ahead on the loss side. Bottom line: the Reds must catch and destroy the Pirates. Watching Sports Center, I have detected signs that they are making stupid mistakes lately. They may very well be beginning the usual slide.

How many games left between them and the Reds?

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Duh. In any event, the Cardinals are playing well against inferior competiton but they will be lucky to go .500 over the next two weeks. Look at the schedule. we're not talking about the '27 Yankees here. Its up to the Redlegs to keep getting it done. Forget that wild card foolishness. if we focus on that, Seelig wins.
    I agree completely that it's ultimately up to the Reds to get it done. We can't count on anyone else giving us some help - that'll be gravy and there will be sometimes when that happens. But we're going to have to win as many games as we can.

I'm of the belief that it will be imprudent to assume anything about what the Cards or the Pirates will or won't do. I can't assume that the Pirates will have their usual second half swoon, although I understand that remains a possibility. And I clearly can't assume the Cardinals will struggle. They may well be a very lucky team and that luck will run out - but the times we've played them, I've been struck with how well they're playing. I hate it on one hand, but I clearly need to respect them. Some help from others would be nice, but then again, perhaps this is one of their years. Erardi used the quote from Rickey Henderson following the 1990 World Series loss to us, "Someone forgot to tell Rickey it was the Reds' year." I'm hoping such is not the case with the Birds.

No question we have our work cut out for us.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

The way the Reds are hitting now....doesn't matter who you play and the pitching isn't going anywhere.....when the Reds play poorly, they lose. This team controls it's own destiny.

Still 2 full months left....and it's completely unpredictable. Someone in the NL will probably tear off a 38-20 finish.....someone pretty good will probably have 25-35 finish.

Every series is unpredictable...that's why they don't stop now but play 162.

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    The way the Reds are hitting now....doesn't matter who you play and the pitching isn't going anywhere.....when the Reds play poorly, they lose. This team controls it's own destiny.

Still 2 full months left....and it's completely unpredictable. Someone in the NL will probably tear off a 38-20 finish.....someone pretty good will probably have 25-35 finish.

Every series is unpredictable...that's why they don't stop now but play 162.
    Yep. When this team hits, it wins. The pitching is sublime.
    Zero chance the Reds miss the playoffs!

Turn Off Ads?