Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: Saw this on ESPN front page

  1. #1
    Member BungleBengals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    682

    Saw this on ESPN front page

    http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/...-loss#comments

    Do not get me wrong, I know it is from ESPNLA, but to put it on the front page is unbelievable. First off, its just strengthens the bias that is ESPN with bigger city teams. Second, I cannot believe a writer would make an excuse like the team was too tired. Last time I checked, they had zero errors, so their fielding was fine. We had 10 hits and they had 9 hits so their hitting wasn't bad. Greinke was pitching pretty well too. Besides two pitches he hung over the plate to X and Bruce, he was otherwise pretty solid IMO. Third, I cannot believe this was published.

    I am pretty sure that Dallas Latos got some flack earlier this year because she tweeted a picture of the Reds in flight menu. I am sure the Dodgers plane is capable to sleep guys and feed them well too. The article suggests they arrived around 3 AM. I know baseball players have a routine and have to show up so many hours early, but the game started at 7 PM Los Angeles time. That is 16 hours from arrival until game time. Take an hour out from airport to players' houses and another hour from houses to ballpark and they are still hovering around 14 hours. Probably have to be at ballpark around 4ish LA time so that still gives them 9 to 10 hours of sleep and rest on top of whatever rest they got on the plane plus the hours they were at the ballpark before the game since they had to skip batting practice. IIRC, the average human needs about 8 hours of sleep. Baseball is not that demanding either, so to come up with this excuse, especially when the writer is being published not only on ESPNLA but also the ESPN front page first story, is just unbelievable to me.

    But what really chaps my *** besides my lengthy rant in the previous paragraphs, is that the writer gives the Reds little to no credit. He mentions that Latos was strong and that Paul and Izturis are former Dodgers with RBI's, but thats it. He fails to mention that the Red are dead smack in the middle of a West Coast trip, they were nearly as hot as the Dodgers before last nights game, and they have played 4 games in the last 3 days.

    Sorry for the length, but just grown tired of the bias and ignorance against the Reds. I know we are small market, but it just gets annoying seeing writers chalk up excuses like this one, or watching an entire Sportscenter or Baseball Tonight waiting for a Reds highlight, only to see them not included in the show. Also, the disregard for Reds plays in Top 10 too. BP makes highlight reel plays every night and is rarely shown in Top 10 unless it is behind the back or between the legs. Puig throws a ball from RF to third and ump calls him safe, yet it is number 3 on Top 10. Bruce throws similar throw to home the other day and replay shows runner should have been out at home and ump calls him safe, yet no top play.
    2014 Attendance 0-3
    3/31/14, 4/12/14, 8/14/15

    2013 Attendance: 6-0
    4/3/13, 4/16/13, 4/17/13, 8/3/13, 8/21/13, 9/7/13

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,403

    Re: Saw this on ESPN front page

    It's ESPN LA, it's written from a Dodgers and LA perspective. It's supposed to be bias.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

  4. Likes:

    RadfordVA (07-26-2013), Wonderful Monds (07-26-2013)

  5. #3
    We Need Our Myths reds1869's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Overlooking GABP
    Posts
    4,467

    Re: Saw this on ESPN front page

    The sooner everyone learns ESPN exists solely to make money, the sooner everyone will stop caring about their opinion. Of course they are biased in favor of large markets. If the only eyeballs they get are in New York, LA, Chicago and Boston they are going to have excellent ratings. They really don't care about other markets so I really don't care about them.

  6. Likes:

    Big Klu (07-26-2013), Billy Hamilton's Legs (07-26-2013), Falls City Beer (07-26-2013), Joseph (07-26-2013), joshua (07-27-2013), TSJ55 (07-26-2013)

  7. #4
    Member smith288's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    New Albany, OH
    Posts
    7,252

    Re: Saw this on ESPN front page

    I can't wait to read the write up of this game on ESPNCIN....

  8. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    169

    Re: Saw this on ESPN front page

    Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    The sooner everyone learns ESPN exists solely to make money, the sooner everyone will stop caring about their opinion. Of course they are biased in favor of large markets. If the only eyeballs they get are in New York, LA, Chicago and Boston they are going to have excellent ratings. They really don't care about other markets so I really don't care about them.
    Agreed. I never get on espn's webpage, and I can't tell you the last time ESPN has been on my tv unless it's a live sporting event. Win the WS they will have to talk about them then, although I'll still be watching MLBN.

  9. Likes:

    dwyerbrg (07-26-2013)

  10. #6
    No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    8,068

    Re: Saw this on ESPN front page

    I think you are making far too much of this. The writer basically just used some facts about their travel schedule as convenient way to lead-in to some run-of-the-mill game coverage. He doesn't really use their fatigue as an excuse -- could have easily talked about some other random factoid.
    Last edited by RedEye; 07-26-2013 at 12:15 PM.

  11. #7
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,567

    Re: Saw this on ESPN front page

    Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    It's ESPN LA, it's written from a Dodgers and LA perspective. It's supposed to be bias.
    It's not supposed to be biased. It's supposed to be specialized content. There's a difference.

    No matter what kind of journalism, it's supposed to be free of bias as much as possible when writing. Of course, an editorial or opinion piece can interject some bias, but in the glory days, that would be clearly marked as such and not interwoven with a lame attempt of reporting.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  12. Likes:

    joshua (07-27-2013)

  13. #8
    We Need Our Myths reds1869's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Overlooking GABP
    Posts
    4,467

    Re: Saw this on ESPN front page

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    It's not supposed to be biased. It's supposed to be specialized content. There's a difference.

    No matter what kind of journalism, it's supposed to be free of bias as much as possible when writing. Of course, an editorial or opinion piece can interject some bias, but in the glory days, that would be clearly marked as such and not interwoven with a lame attempt of reporting.
    Lack of bias in media is a 20th Century invention. Before that it was well known what perspective a news source was coming from and no one expected to read an unbiased story. I think we are very much leaning back that way in the days of Fox News/MSNBC polarization.

  14. Likes:

    Big Klu (07-26-2013), Brutus (07-26-2013)

  15. #9
    Member Ironman92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,084

    Re: Saw this on ESPN front page

    Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/...-loss#comments

    Do not get me wrong, I know it is from ESPNLA, but to put it on the front page is unbelievable. First off, its just strengthens the bias that is ESPN with bigger city teams. Second, I cannot believe a writer would make an excuse like the team was too tired. Last time I checked, they had zero errors, so their fielding was fine. We had 10 hits and they had 9 hits so their hitting wasn't bad. Greinke was pitching pretty well too. Besides two pitches he hung over the plate to X and Bruce, he was otherwise pretty solid IMO. Third, I cannot believe this was published.

    I am pretty sure that Dallas Latos got some flack earlier this year because she tweeted a picture of the Reds in flight menu. I am sure the Dodgers plane is capable to sleep guys and feed them well too. The article suggests they arrived around 3 AM. I know baseball players have a routine and have to show up so many hours early, but the game started at 7 PM Los Angeles time. That is 16 hours from arrival until game time. Take an hour out from airport to players' houses and another hour from houses to ballpark and they are still hovering around 14 hours. Probably have to be at ballpark around 4ish LA time so that still gives them 9 to 10 hours of sleep and rest on top of whatever rest they got on the plane plus the hours they were at the ballpark before the game since they had to skip batting practice. IIRC, the average human needs about 8 hours of sleep. Baseball is not that demanding either, so to come up with this excuse, especially when the writer is being published not only on ESPNLA but also the ESPN front page first story, is just unbelievable to me.

    But what really chaps my *** besides my lengthy rant in the previous paragraphs, is that the writer gives the Reds little to no credit. He mentions that Latos was strong and that Paul and Izturis are former Dodgers with RBI's, but thats it. He fails to mention that the Red are dead smack in the middle of a West Coast trip, they were nearly as hot as the Dodgers before last nights game, and they have played 4 games in the last 3 days.

    Sorry for the length, but just grown tired of the bias and ignorance against the Reds. I know we are small market, but it just gets annoying seeing writers chalk up excuses like this one, or watching an entire Sportscenter or Baseball Tonight waiting for a Reds highlight, only to see them not included in the show. Also, the disregard for Reds plays in Top 10 too. BP makes highlight reel plays every night and is rarely shown in Top 10 unless it is behind the back or between the legs. Puig throws a ball from RF to third and ump calls him safe, yet it is number 3 on Top 10. Bruce throws similar throw to home the other day and replay shows runner should have been out at home and ump calls him safe, yet no top play.
    Many good points....but the Puig throw was insane and Jay Bruce does not have the arm Puig does...and he threw Harper out (sorry the umpire blew it)...but an impressive highlight.

  16. #10
    Member BungleBengals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    682

    Re: Saw this on ESPN front page

    I understand and know that it is from ESPNLA and the writer supports the Dodgers. But what gets me is that is was the front page story on their main website. I also agree and understand ESPN has to cater to larger markets, but journalism and reporting also have to look at both sides. I made the thread and the long rant because it seemed, at least to me, that they gave the Reds no credit. The only reason the Dodgers lost was because they were tired.

    Also, here is the preview for tonight's game: total Dodger bias. If ESPN were a sportsbook, you would think the Reds had a 30 to 1 shot to win tonight's game.

    http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/preview?gameId=330726119
    2014 Attendance 0-3
    3/31/14, 4/12/14, 8/14/15

    2013 Attendance: 6-0
    4/3/13, 4/16/13, 4/17/13, 8/3/13, 8/21/13, 9/7/13

  17. #11
    Member Crumbley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Toledo
    Posts
    757

    Re: Saw this on ESPN front page

    Easy solution: don't give ESPN your clicks or ratings. Plenty of alternatives.

  18. Likes:

    Always Red (07-26-2013), BungleBengals (07-26-2013), New York Red (07-26-2013)

  19. #12
    Member BungleBengals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    682

    Re: Saw this on ESPN front page

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    Many good points....but the Puig throw was insane and Jay Bruce does not have the arm Puig does...and he threw Harper out (sorry the umpire blew it)...but an impressive highlight.
    Do not get me wrong it is an awesome highlight and a heck of a play, but my argument is that the umpire called him safe and it is a top play. If Puig was a Red, I doubt that even makes the list, but since he is a Dodger it gets number 3. The combination of both a large market team and a player that ESPN fixates itself on (see Tebow, LeBron, Te'o, Gongzolez, Tiger) is what makes it the 3rd best play that night.
    2014 Attendance 0-3
    3/31/14, 4/12/14, 8/14/15

    2013 Attendance: 6-0
    4/3/13, 4/16/13, 4/17/13, 8/3/13, 8/21/13, 9/7/13

  20. #13
    Member Ironman92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,084

    Re: Saw this on ESPN front page

    Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    Do not get me wrong it is an awesome highlight and a heck of a play, but my argument is that the umpire called him safe and it is a top play. If Puig was a Red, I doubt that even makes the list, but since he is a Dodger it gets number 3. The combination of both a large market team and a player that ESPN fixates itself on (see Tebow, LeBron, Te'o, Gongzolez, Tiger) is what makes it the 3rd best play that night.
    If the Reds had a Cuban born player come up with extreme interest he's get the airplay (Chappy).....Puig came up and imitated Joe DiMaggio in production and Bo Jackson in highlights....when you do that you'll be the rave.

    I do understand your bias and NY/LA is going to take it.....but what Puig has done so far would be huge anywhere, but being in LA they make sure you are getting it.

    Don't read those articles....they'll just tick you off.

  21. #14
    Custodial Engineer Bob Sheed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    337

    Re: Saw this on ESPN front page

    It's almost as if national media is pandering to markets with the greatest population.

    Unreal!

    /end sarcasm
    "And why do false truths persist, getting passed down the decades as if they were fact? It comes back to the same point: People believe things that are wrong because, individually, people rarely investigate their own beliefs, particularly when what they believe makes sense intuitively. Even more so when those around them agree with them." -K.F.

  22. Likes:

    Chip R (07-26-2013), mth123 (07-26-2013), New York Red (07-26-2013)

  23. #15
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,187

    Re: Saw this on ESPN front page

    I have no idea why Reds fans get so worked up about national media.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25