Turn Off Ads?

Thread: I learned a new word today, skeumorphism

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I learned a new word today, skeumorphism

So I upgraded my ipad to iOS 7 and immediately noticed that the notepad and calendar now no longer bear any resemblance to their physical counterparts, and I can't say I necessarily like that. I went online to see why the heck they would have done that and I found much mention of this word, skeumorphism, which basically means making things look real, but what I wasn't prepared for was the large number of people who actually like the change.

So am I the only person who misses the look of the old calendar and is searching the App Store for a more accurately rendered version from a third party? Am I the only one who is slightly paranoid that they will revamp iBooks as well and take away the bookshelf and the realistic looking pages? Is this pretty much a young vs. older folks kind of preference?
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I learned a new word today, skeumorphism

Possibly an old vs. young thing. I'm not a huge fan of the specific iOS 7 graphics, but in general I can't stand skeumorphism, as it usually detracts from functionality. A book looks the way it does because it's on paper, is bound, has a physical cover that is a different material, etc. Mimicking that with pixels has never made sense to me. I don't need to see fake leather to know I'm looking at a book, or what have you.

But ultimately, yeah, I'm sure it's a personal preference kind of thing.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

It's not a matter of needing it, but a matter of liking it. I like iBooks the way it is now, the way it mimics real page turns. I like that look. I liked the notepad and the calendar the way they were. Maybe they should give people a choice with the apps, let you pick the look you want.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Is this pretty much a young vs. older folks kind of preference?
    many within the ranks of Apple felt that skeumorphism clashed with Apples industrial design of Simple and Functional. It was extra code that added no value.

One of the things that Jony Ive got rid of immediately. He believes that beauty comes from that simplicity. Simple shapes, colors, etc.

I liked it though.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post
    many within the ranks of Apple felt that skeumorphism clashed with Apples industrial design of Simple and Functional. It was extra code that added no value.

One of the things that Jony Ive got rid of immediately. He believes that beauty comes from that simplicity. Simple shapes, colors, etc.

I liked it though.
    Steve Jobs passing is the worst thing that could've ever happened to Apple. I doubt they will keep their top spot in their market for a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Steve Jobs passing is the worst thing that could've ever happened to Apple. I doubt they will keep their top spot in their market for a very long time.
    Apple started their slip under his watch. They rest too long on their laurels.

7 major updates to ios and they have yet to update the UI..

Turn Off Ads?