Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you Rank the OF in the Reds System?

Re: How do you Rank the OF in the Reds System?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Ryan LaMarre, age 24, at AA this year: .667 OPS
    Yorman Rodriguez, age 20, at AA this year: .726 OPS

I just don't buy that the rankings were updated. The draft picks may have been added in, but I don't believe for a second that anything beyond that was done to the team rankings.

I fully agree that his list seems like it was a half-(hearted) effort.

I mean Ryan Wright, Lotzkar and others seem way out of place.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think debate over the Reds OF depth in their minor leagues is timely. They have drafted OFs in the first or second round the last four years. So here is my ranking of our depth:

1. Hamilton - A learning year, unfortunately.
    2. Winker - quality draft pick
    3. Ervin - quality draft pick
    4. Yorman - big improvement this year.
    5. Reynoso - making progress this year.
    6. Kyle Waldrop - His power performance this year has blossomed. His patience at the plate has regressed a little. He continues to make steady progress overall.
    7. Lutz - continues to progress. Not sure he is an outfielder.
    8. Aristides Aquino - this guy is very projectable, but he and Reynoso have ideal OF tools.
    9. Gabriel Rosa - His power and patience are improving this year. Still a little behind in his development because of the lost year to injury last year.
    10. Jeff Gelalich -- I am disappointed in his lack of power, but his plate approach is so sound and his skill set is so well rounded for an OF that I still believe he will turn into something.

Rest of the group: Silva has a good plate approach but is so slow and unathletic. LaMarre can't seem to hit any more. Duran swings at everything

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    I think debate over the Reds OF depth in their minor leagues is timely. They have drafted OFs in the first or second round the last four years. So here is my ranking of our depth:

6. Kyle Waldrop - His power performance this year has blossomed. His patience at the plate has regressed a little. He continues to make steady progress overall.
    8. Aristides Aquino - this guy is very projectable, but he and Reynoso have ideal OF tools.
    9. Gabriel Rosa - His power and patience are improving this year. Still a little behind in his development because of the lost year to injury last year.
    10. Jeff Gelalich -- I am disappointed in his lack of power, but his plate approach is so sound and his skill set is so well rounded for an OF that I still believe he will turn into something.

Rest of the group: Silva has a good plate approach but is so slow and unathletic. LaMarre can't seem to hit any more. Duran swings at everything
    I just went through the Reds minor league teams and looked at the individual stats. Obviously, not just outfielders, I know the thread is about outfielders.

Frankly, trying to be objective, statistically I can't remember a worse season for the Reds minor league players overall. Particularly at AA and AAA.

Stephenson did great in A ball and Ervin has terrific stats at Billings. Winker did well given his age, although his numbers have fallen off from last year at Billings.

But for those in the know, is the system that weak? Objectively, it seems so.

Even some of the outfielders listed here as having progressed or improved, many of them are hard to consider strong prospects given their numbers.

If any of those who seriously follow the Reds minors have thoughts, I'd like to hear them. Sorry for going slightly off topic.

5. Likes:

dfs (07-29-2013)

Thaks for the post. I'm always interested in gathering more opinions.

From what I've seen of Lutz, I think he'll be just fine in an OF corner at least for a few years whle he's young. He's not as slow as his size would suggest and seems pretty athletic. Not sure about his arm so he may be limited to LF.

I'm surprised to read those comments about Silva. The guy is 6-0, 190 LBs. He's played his fair share of CF and had 25 SB in 2012 and 19 so far in 2013. He does get caught too much for my taste, but is "slow and unathletic" really an accurate description. I'd buy "not a good base stealer" or "not a real burner," but "slow and unathletic" seems a little much. Brandon Phillips is a guy who I consider to have decent speed but isn't a burner. Slow and unathletic brings visions of Corky Miller. Chris Heisey would be a guy with good speed and Robinson would be a burner. Where on that scale would you place Silva? Milleresque slow? Phillipslike decent? Heiseyish fast? Probably not as fast as Robinson from what I'm gathering.

It sounds like you may have more information about Reynoso and especially Aquino than presented here. Can you inform about their tools? Power, Speed, Defense, etc.? Maybe a iink to a report if you've got one. Those guys are just unreliable rookie league stats on a page for me with the exception of BA adding Reynoso to the top 10 this year, but BA's reports seem a little limited.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

What does everyone think of Steve Selsky? Is he a prospect? Seems to be hitting now that he's back in Bakersfield.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    What does everyone think of Steve Selsky? Is he a prospect? Seems to be hitting now that he's back in Bakersfield.
    I'd move him back to Pensacola and see if he can do it. Then move SMB to Bakersfield and let Vidal DH the rest of the way if necessary. Still, IMHO, the most interesting outfielder at Bakersfield is Waldrop, because of the steady month to month improvement (very similar to last year's), the very high percentage of XBH's (well over 40), and his young age (21).

9. Likes:

mace (07-29-2013)

I'm not saying I'd rank these guys, because they're far too unproven, but I think it's worth noting that a few 17-year-old outfielders are strutting some stuff in the DSL:

Jose Siri: .790 OPS, 11 steals, a bunch of assists.

Diohanky Mejia: .445 OBP.

Daniel Jimenez: 5 triples, 11 steals, .347 OBP.

Just guys to keep eyes on.

11. Likes:

mth123 (07-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The top four are in a group of their own and the gap to the next set of guys is rather huge IMO.
    How many MLB starters do you see?

I just want Diohanky Mejia to succeed in the worst way, I want to root for a guy named Diohanky. His mother should be strung up. Or given an award. I'm not sure which.

14. Likes:

mace (07-30-2013)

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

1. Hamilton
    2. Winker
    3. Ervin (although it's real close between 1-3)
    4. Waldrop (underrated by almost every Reds fan)
    5. Lutz
    6. Yorman
    7. Arias

No one else is really even notable/has a chance at making the Majors, IMO.

Here is a thought on a comp for Winker that I haven't heard before:

Yonder Alonso

Sure Winker can hopefully play a better LF than Alonso could as he's probably slightly quicker/more athletic. But they strike me as similar profiles at the plate. Maybe Winker has a little more power with a slightly lower AVG?

On the other hand Kyle Waldrop strikes me as a really poor man's Jay Bruce. At best I think he projects to the 2008-2009 version of Bruce when he was first breaking into the big leagues. More likely he becomes a lefty power bat off the bench, a la a Xavier Paul or John Vander Wal.
    Last edited by Benihana; 07-30-2013 at 07:01 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Seems reasonable except where is Arias? I'd think he slots in around #5 on this list?
    Go BLUE!!!

Look at Yorman's last 10 games at AA... Youngest player in the league putting up all-star numbers in a pitchers league.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...pbp&pid=550298

.324 avg. .419 obp. 6 BB 7 SO .878 OPS.... Elite...

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    Look at Yorman's last 10 games at AA... Youngest player in the league putting up all-star numbers in a pitchers league.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...pbp&pid=550298

.324 avg. .419 obp. 6 BB 7 SO .878 OPS.... Elite...
    Yorman has forged ahead this season, pushing himself back into serious prospect territory. Maybe a poster boy on why you don't give up on teen age prospects with tools - now let's see him continue this all year and into next season. His rise has sure helped the look of the system. Add him to Winker and Ervin, add the catchers in Billings (both playing well), Waldrop's steady improvement, and Mejias-Brean's bat coming around and the system is beginning to trend back up. Still thin at the top but you can see some nice players getting closer. Infielders remain sketchy. By the end of next summer Pensacola should finally have an exciting team.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Yorman has forged ahead this season, pushing himself back into serious prospect territory. Maybe a poster boy on why you don't give up on teen age prospects with tools - now let's see him continue this all year and into next season. His rise has sure helped the look of the system. Add him to Winker and Ervin, add the catchers in Billings (both playing well), Waldrop's steady improvement, and Mejias-Brean's bat coming around and the system is beginning to trend back up. Still thin at the top but you can see some nice players getting closer. Infielders remain sketchy. By the end of next summer Pensacola should finally have an exciting team.
    What is most exciting about this is that the Reds could have a situation in 2015/2016 that looks a whole lot like 2007/2008, with 4-5 elite prospects all arriving at the same time.

Rodriguez, Ervin and Winker all look to be arriving right around then. Ditto for Robert Stephenson, especially since that is right when Latos, Leake, and Cueto's contracts all expire (and one or more of them will likely price themselves out of town). You never know with Billy Hamilton, although the way he has looked this year, he appears to need another year in AAA, putting his ETA right around the others sometime in 2015.

In other words, Rodriguez/Ervin/Winker/Hamilton and Stephenson could be the new Votto/Bruce/Cueto/Bailey and form the new core of this team heading into the second half of the decade.

Hopefully (and probably) some of the key vets like Votto, Bruce, and Latos will still be hanging around to supplement them and provide veteran leadership.

Just about all of the other prospects currently in the system outside of those 5 appear to be several more years away from contributing, if they end up contributing at all (ie Travieso, Garrett, Reynoso, etc.)

And who knows - maybe SMB will be the Frazier to those guys' Votto/Bruce/Cueto/Bailey, less highly touted/hanging around the system but coming through and stepping into the starting 3B job a couple years after the main group's arrival.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?