Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you Rank the OF in the Reds System?

Re: How do you Rank the OF in the Reds System?

Not to highjack the thread on pitchers, but yea about that time things will get interesting for the pitching rotation. Gonna have to sign some dudes to long term deals soon...

Stephenson and Cingrani gives them some flexibility as they both look to be solid MLB players. Have to hope we develope and another stud in there... Maybe Lively.

But back to Yorman the kid hasn't filled out yet, but he has the frame to be 220@6'3... I think 30/30 may be a normal year for him...

Also to all the haters on my 1 to 1 strikeout ratio!!!!!
    Last edited by bellhead; 07-30-2013 at 03:08 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post

But back to Yorman the kid hasn't filled out yet, but he has the frame to be 220@6'3... I think 30/30 may be a normal year for him...

Also to all the haters on my 1 to 1 strikeout ratio!!!!!
    He is a plus runner right now, but he isn't going to be stealing 30 bags, especially if he fills out some.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He is a plus runner right now, but he isn't going to be stealing 30 bags, especially if he fills out some.
    yea 30/30 might be a bit much, but a 30/100 guy?

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    yea 30/30 might be a bit much, but a 30/100 guy?
    30, maybe. 100? Who knows or really cares. That is all about who is batting in front of him, not anything at all to do with his skillset.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Another big fly for Waldrop last night; he's up to 17.

He's still underrated by almost all of you.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Another big fly for Waldrop last night; he's up to 17.

He's still underrated by almost all of you.
    Other than showing good power in an extremely hitter friendly park, what are we supposed to be impressed by?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

8. Likes:

Edd Roush (08-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Other than showing good power in an extremely hitter friendly park, what are we supposed to be impressed by?
    I'm impressed by his month to month progress. .590/.751/.765/.917. And by his percentage of XBH's (no doubt somewhat helped by his ball park but still quite good): 46 XBH's out of 99 hits. K rate is acceptable; K to W needs to be better. At 21 he's interesting and getting more so.

Where Does Brandon Short rank among the Reds Outfielders?

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/6572/brandon-short

Brandon Short | Outfielder
    Team: Chicago White Sox
    Age / DOB: (24) / 9/9/1988
    Ht / Wt: 6'1' / 195
    Bats / Throws: Right / Right

Chicago White Sox Latest NewsRecent NewsBrandon Short underwent surgery Monday to repiar a torn labrum in his left shoulder.Short suffered the injury while crashing into the outfield wall in a Cactus League game. The 23-year-old outfielder has already been ruled out for all of 2012. Mon, Mar 12, 2012 12:43:00 PM

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...e-a-birmingham

Short was ranked as the Sox's 18th top prospect by Baseball America's 2012 Prospect Handbook. Short has a .285 batting average over four minor league seasons. He batted .262 with 29 doubles, 13 home runs, 60 RBIs and 21 stolen bases in 130 games at Double-A Birmingham last season.

Short batted .274 with four home runs, 15 RBIs and 23 runs in 29 games for Mesa of the Arizona Fall League.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I'm impressed by his month to month progress. .590/.751/.765/.917. And by his percentage of XBH's (no doubt somewhat helped by his ball park but still quite good): 46 XBH's out of 99 hits. K rate is acceptable; K to W needs to be better. At 21 he's interesting and getting more so.
    Tell me the improvement is driven by a skill-based improvement you can observe (change in approach, better pitch recognition, etc.) and I'll be impressed. But otherwise month-to-month performance variations are noise punctuated by arbitrary endpoints.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

13. Likes:

Edd Roush (08-02-2013)

Tell me the improvement is driven by a skill-based improvement you can observe (change in approach, better pitch recognition, etc.) and I'll be impressed. But otherwise month-to-month performance variations are noise punctuated by arbitrary endpoints.
    I'm wary of month to month improvements myself. In Waldrop's case, however, there was similar month to month improvement, of a steady kind, in his Dayton numbers last year. It's also noteworthy, IMHO, that his improvement this year is as consistent as it is--it's not as if there is variation from month to month; there's a clear progression, or what seems to be (with due skepticism taken). It's that together with his youth for the level that impresses me. One way to account for it is that this is a player who's been challenged and has shown he can do what the level requires--as his numbers at Dayton did last year. I'd agree entirely with your characterization of month to month numbers if the set being examined were all major leaguers; but when development is in question, as it is with minor leaguers, I don't see how one can throw them out altogether. Age relative to the level and development are key factors. Frankly I don't care at all what a minor leaguer is doing in April; I care what he's doing at the end of the season. If he's doing very badly in April, that simply tells me he's being challenged and is at the right level to learn. It's no trick whatever for an organization to inflate its prospects' numbers by manipulating the placements. Waldrop will be 22 at Pensacola next year; without checking it, I think I'm right to say that that will make him younger than any position player currently on that roster other than Yorman, whom I also very much like, by the way.

Question about Waldrip is whether the improved numbers are driven by real improvement or simply adjusting to the short porch in Bakersfield. IF it's an adjustment to the park, what happens when he no longer plays in that park. I hope it's real. I like guys with big power.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Question about Waldrip is whether the improved numbers are driven by real improvement or simply adjusting to the short porch in Bakersfield. IF it's an adjustment to the park, what happens when he no longer plays in that park. I hope it's real. I like guys with big power.
    Agree. We'll know more next year. But a .590 April to a .917 July looks encouraging and his age--only 21--is important.

You should be impressed due to his age and his ability to OPS at .750 or higher at every level, despite playing against older competition. I believe he can be a solid .800 OPS guy. He needs to prove it, but he's headed in the right direction. The question on him used to be whether the power would come. It's arrived. He still has flaws, but he's extremely young for his level and I believe is underrated by almost everyone (based on lists I've seen on this board).

15 steals too. He's headed for a 20/20 season. All at the age of 21 in high-A ball. If he continues to make improvements next year when he's playing AA ball in Pensacola, look out.

Turn Off Ads?