http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2012/index.jsp

14. Mesoraco
    34. Hamilton
    39. Alonso
    68. Grandal
    Choo got it, dude.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: MLB.com Top 100 Prospects

I am really starting to feel like I have something against Billy Hamilton because of how often I say that he is the most overrated prospect in baseball, but I really do think he is a good prospect, yet feel he is the most overrated prospect in the game.

I get that his speed is incredibly elite. Heck, he might be the fastest player in baseball. But he isn't THAT much faster than a guy like Michael Bourn or Drew Stubbs. The rest of his tools are still incredibly raw and he isn't a five tool guy. His hit tool and power tool are both likely to be below average. The only thing that might save that hit tool is the fact that he is so fast he can leg out infield hits.

Defensive first players who are in A-ball aren't Top 100 prospects to me, much less Top 50. His tools get him inside the Top 200 for now.

I wonder how close Corcino and Stephenson were to making their list.

I can't imagine there is that huge of a gap between Hamilton and those two. Personally, I'd put all three of them in the 75-100 range.

If Hamilton can prove he sticks at SS and OPS over .750 this year in California, then he becomes a Top 35 guy in my mind.

Otherwise I have visions of guys like Carlos Trunfiel, Antonio Perez, Chin-lung Hu, and even Felix Pie and Fernando Martinez holding me back from ranking him that highly. That said, he's still easily in the top 100 on my list.
    Last edited by Benihana; 01-26-2012 at 01:55 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am really starting to feel like I have something against Billy Hamilton because of how often I say that he is the most overrated prospect in baseball, but I really do think he is a good prospect, yet feel he is the most overrated prospect in the game.

I get that his speed is incredibly elite. Heck, he might be the fastest player in baseball. But he isn't THAT much faster than a guy like Michael Bourn or Drew Stubbs. The rest of his tools are still incredibly raw and he isn't a five tool guy. His hit tool and power tool are both likely to be below average. The only thing that might save that hit tool is the fact that he is so fast he can leg out infield hits.

Defensive first players who are in A-ball aren't Top 100 prospects to me, much less Top 50. His tools get him inside the Top 200 for now.
    I understand what you're saying. However, if everyone else has him inside the Top 50 and you barely have him in the Top 200, wouldn't you need to re-check your numbers?
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I wonder how close Corcino and Stephenson were to making their list.

I can't imagine there is that huge of a gap between Hamilton and those two. Personally, I'd put all three of them in the 75-100 range.

If Hamilton can prove he sticks at SS and OPS over .750 this year in California, then he becomes a Top 35 guy in my mind.

Otherwise I have visions of guys like Carlos Trunfiel, Antonio Perez, Chin-lung Hu, and even Felix Pie and Fernando Martinez holding me back from ranking him that highly. That said, he's still easily in the top 100 on my list.
    Personaly, I would like to see the reds bring Norris Hopper back in as a bunting instructor for Hamilton and Stubbs, but I do agree with the guys like The Cowboy who say that his batting average should go up as he faces guys who have better control.

I'm with you 100%. Having elite speed is just not worth that much. He has no power upside whatsoever, and his OBP skills are questionable at best. Oh, and there are questions about his glove?

Am I crazy? I just see a player who looks like he has only a decent chance of reaching his full potential, and that even then his full potential is pretty limited. IMO the Reds should have traded him yesterday.

I cannot get over how all the baseball media elite (heh... i went there) completely ignore JC Sulbaran.

6 guys in the CAL league had 150+ K's Sulbaran did it in the fewest starts and fewest IP. Of those 6 he gave up the third fewest runs and ER, and he did this in probably the smallest park in the league.

I'm frothing at the mouth to see what he can do this year at AA.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I cannot get over how all the baseball media elite (heh... i went there) completely ignore JC Sulbaran.

6 guys in the CAL league had 150+ K's Sulbaran did it in the fewest starts and fewest IP. Of those 6 he gave up the third fewest runs and ER, and he did this in probably the smallest park in the league.

I'm frothing at the mouth to see what he can do this year at AA.
    I told you before- find me a list in the world other than TRF's that ranks Sulbaran ahead of Corcino (or Stephenson for that matter). It's not just the "baseball media elite", it's everyone at this point.

Of course that could change, but for now it's the reality.
    Go BLUE!!!

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I told you before- find me a list in the world other than TRF's that ranks Sulbaran ahead of Corcino (or Stephenson for that matter). It's not just the "baseball media elite", it's everyone at this point.

Of course that could change, but for now it's the reality.
    http://bullpenbanter.com/index.php?o...cles&Itemid=11

I have no idea who Mr. Rentschler is, but he has Sulbaran one spot ahead of Corcino.
    Choo got it, dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    http://bullpenbanter.com/index.php?o...cles&Itemid=11

I have no idea who Mr. Rentschler is, but he has Sulbaran one spot ahead of Corcino.
    Perhaps he uses the online handle of "TRF"
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jredmo2 View Post
    I'm with you 100%. Having elite speed is just not worth that much. He has no power upside whatsoever, and his OBP skills are questionable at best. Oh, and there are questions about his glove?

Am I crazy? I just see a player who looks like he has only a decent chance of reaching his full potential, and that even then his full potential is pretty limited. IMO the Reds should have traded him yesterday.
    I don't question his glove. Heck, I don't think anyone REALLY questions it, just think that he would be better suited somewhere else up the middle where he still would have tons of value defensively.

Quote Originally Posted by alett12 View Post
    Personaly, I would like to see the reds bring Norris Hopper back in as a bunting instructor for Hamilton and Stubbs, but I do agree with the guys like The Cowboy who say that his batting average should go up as he faces guys who have better control.
    I honestly have never understood this theory. If guys with better control are facing you and you are swinging wildly against guys without control, wouldn't the guys with control be able to easily exploit your issues with being a hacker? Of course they would. The theory doesn't make sense. This isn't batting practice where you expect strikes. If Juan Francisco got strikes all day long, he would absolutely obliterated pitching. But he doesn't and guys don't throw him strikes because they know he will chase bad pitches.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I understand what you're saying. However, if everyone else has him inside the Top 50 and you barely have him in the Top 200, wouldn't you need to re-check your numbers?
    It tells me that scouts still highly overrate the speed tools while ignoring the hit tools on guys who are plus plus runners.

I saw Jake Marisnick (No. 58) in Dayton last year. I'm not sure what the "it" factor is, but he's got "it". In warm ups, at the plate, chewing bubble gum. He looked like a big league prospect.

What if SD wanted him rather one of Grandal or Alonso would you have kept them over Hamilton?
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

I think the first half of the MLB.com list looks pretty standard. The second half gets a little wonky. I think it is due to their foolish method of polling scouts for their top 50 lists, then assigning a point value to each prospect, then taking the top 100. That method would be acceptable if they asked each scout for their top 100. They shouldn't make a top 100 list assembled from top 50 lists.

In my opinion the list is fairly conservative. No really gutsy predictions. Nothing much new. The Yankee and Red Sox prospects are often ranked a little too highly, as are several guys that were top draft picks but have flopped in the minors.

Manny Banuelos, Mike Olt, Francisco Lindor, Andrelton Simmons, Bryce Brentz, Nathan Eovaldi , Chris Archer, Wily Peralta, Tim Beckham and Alex Meyer are good prospects but are ranked too highly here.

The only guys I would quibble with as being ranked way too low are Anthony Rendon and Oscar Tavares (who wasn't ranked at all but should be top 50).

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    What if SD wanted him rather one of Grandal or Alonso would you have kept them over Hamilton?
    No, I wouldn't.... but not because they aren't better prospects, which they are, but because we have Joey Votto and Devin Mesoraco.

Turn Off Ads?