Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Source: ARod faces lifetime suspension

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Source: ARod faces lifetime suspension

My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Re: Source: ARod faces lifetime suspension

I tend to take everything NY Daily News reports with a grain of salt. That said, if this is true, we're only looking at the beginning of a drawn-out legal mudfight that leaves nothing resolved and everyone looking bad in the end.

I think MLB is bluffing about a lifetime ban in order to get A-Rod to cooperate, but in the event they're not, it will be interesting to see if the MLBPA fights for A-Rod. I'm still skeptical as to how MLB will justify a lifetime ban based on the parameters in place for the drug treatment program.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

4. Likes:

RedEye (07-28-2013)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    I think MLB is bluffing about a lifetime ban in order to get A-Rod to cooperate, but in the event they're not, it will be interesting to see if the MLBPA fights for A-Rod. I'm still skeptical as to how MLB will justify a lifetime ban based on the parameters in place for the drug treatment program.
    If they have proof he used for 3 different years, maybe they can use that as three failed tests?

I honestly don't know, but I have been wondering how they could get such a ban with the way things are currently written.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    If they have proof he used for 3 different years, maybe they can use that as three failed tests?

I honestly don't know, but I have been wondering how they could get such a ban with the way things are currently written.
    Kind of the "ongoing criminal conspiracy" stance used in law? That's the only thing I can figure too.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Those parameters are for a failed test. This is evidence of ongoing abuse and cover-up based on a paper trail and cooperation of other parties involved. The commissioner has a best interest of baseball clause to take action, and since no test is involved, I don't see why he'd be constrained by the number of failed tests at all. IMO he should have used those powers last year against Melky Cabrera. The failed test was 50 games, but the phony website used to cover the tracks would have been fair game for the commissioner to act outside the framework IMO.

FWIW, I think it's a bluff too. What the MLBPA does is interesting. Some agents are losing a lot of money here. We'll see if they can sway the union to fight or if all these guys saying they want to clean-up the game atually will vote against fighting.
    Last edited by mth123; 07-28-2013 at 08:14 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

If they have proof that ARod intentionally hampered the investigation, such as destroying evidence, intimidating witnesses, etc., they can do whatever they want. They don't even need a failed drug test for that.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    If they have proof that ARod intentionally hampered the investigation, such as destroying evidence, intimidating witnesses, etc., they can do whatever they want. They don't even need a failed drug test for that.
    I think that's how they get him.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    And I'm pretty certain they have A LOT of information that would go along with this line of thought.

I hope not, only because I want the Yankees to have to fully pay that idiotic contract.
    Go Gators!

12. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (07-28-2013),Hubba (07-29-2013),LoganBuck (07-29-2013),Red in Atl (08-01-2013),RedEye (07-28-2013),The Operator (07-30-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (07-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I hope not, only because I want the Yankees to have to fully pay that idiotic contract.
    "Ben Cherington likes this"

14. Likes:

dougdirt (07-28-2013),IslandRed (07-31-2013),RedEye (07-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I understand where you're coming from but who's the biggest villain here? I'm no Yankees fan but I don't want ARod to get that money. I want him screwed more than the Yankees

16. Likes:

Red in Chicago (07-30-2013),remdog (07-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I understand where you're coming from but who's the biggest villain here? I'm no Yankees fan but I don't want ARod to get that money. I want him screwed more than the Yankees
    Both. The Yankees and ARod are in the bed they made together. If the Yankees didn't know he was using PED's then they had their head buried in the sand. They signed an aging ARod, already admitted to PED usage, to a massive contract. Now they are doing everything they can to avoid playing him this season so insurance picks up the tab this year and then suspension allows them not to pay him into next year.

I hope MLB hands out the suspensions one minute after the trade deadline. If a team has benefited from a cheating player they shouldn't have time to trade to fill that missing piece. It irritated me that the Giants knew about Cabrera's suspension last season and were able to make a move to replace him. If Nelson Cruz is suspended, which many feel he will be, then make the Rangers pay the price during the playoff stretch. They sure were taking advantage of his talents while he was juicing.

18. Likes:

joshua (07-31-2013)

This would probably set a bad precedent but if ARod were to be suspended, his salary should go to some charity instead of ARod or the Yankees not having to pay it. At the very least it should count against their payroll in calculating the luxury tax.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

20. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (08-01-2013)

The discussion I was talking about in my above post had a comment that was pretty much, word for word, exactly what you just said. Was that you yesterday?

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

Turn Off Ads?