Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 248

Thread: Source: ARod faces lifetime suspension

  1. #16
    Member Ironman92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,581

    Re: Source: ARod faces lifetime suspension

    Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Can't do what?
    When Pete and his lifetime ban get discussed the sign saying do not bet on baseball always come up.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,267

    Re: Source: ARod faces lifetime suspension

    Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    Anything that brings more attention to the word "lifetime ban" and I am all for it.....I want everyone, including the media to play every avenue of the the term lifetime ban.....maybe this will get baseball back in favor of Pete.....I am still salty over this whole PED mess that baseball is in and guys are given a 50 game suspension for altering records and averages and stats and wins and losses and Pete gets life for betting on games that he had no direct influence over.....

    Disclaimer: I am not trying to say Pete is innocent or anything like that....all I am merely saying is Pete Rose has done his time and done far more time than almost every PED user in all of MLB history....add up every PED users suspension and they still don't equal the years that Pete has been banned.....to me, that is a disgrace. Pete is guilty and deserved his punishment, every bit of it.....but it's time to end and end now. Arod has possible cheated stats and wins and losses and might even have cheated his way to a World Series title and MVP and all people can do is talk about a 50 game or 1 year suspension? Please, get this guy and every other PeD user out of MLB for life, I would feel the sake way if Votto had made a simple mistake a failed one test.....1 failed test should mean at the very minimum your career stats re-set to zero.
    Pete has no one to blame for his current situation but himself. Pete accepted an agreement with Bart Giamatti whereby he was put on the permanently ineligible list without a hearing, with the understanding that he could apply for reinstatement. However, Giamatti told him he had to reconfigure his life. To make a comparison to the legal system, it is the equivalent to a criminal defendant pleading no contest without a trial and the judge imposing the maximum sentence with the provision that the judge would do a sentence review after a cerain period of time if the defendant could show that he has turned his life around. In such situations, if the defendant can show that they've worked hard to get a job or go to school, engaged in treatment if necessary, volunteered to help others with similar problems, etc., the judge is likely to grant a hearing and reduce the sentence. If the defendant continues to engage in behavior that indicates a likelihood to reoffend, the judge has the discretion to reject the request for a hearing.

    Applying that to Pete, what has he done since being banned to show he's changed? He continued to deny the allegations and played himself as a victim, all the while continuing to hang out at casinos and horsetracks. When he finally came clean, he used it as a chance to cash in and now sells his confession as part of an autograph. And he still hangs out at casinos. To me that shows no remorse and a complete lack of respect for the man who gave him a glimmer of hope of getting back into baseball. Again, if he were a defendant asking for a sentence reduction, I don't know of any judge who would grant it under the circumstances. So let's stop saying Pete has done his time. His time is permanent ineligible. If he wanted a reprieve, he was told what to do. Unfortunately for him, he hasn't done it and now I think the time has passed.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  4. Likes:

    bucksfan2 (08-01-2013), dougdirt (07-30-2013), dubc47834 (07-30-2013), Roy Tucker (07-31-2013), SporkLover (07-30-2013), The Operator (07-30-2013)

  5. #18
    No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    8,442

    Re: Source: ARod faces lifetime suspension

    Okay. Am I the only one who wishes that both Pete Rose and Alex Rodriguez would just go away?

  6. Likes:

    blumj (07-31-2013), bucksfan2 (08-01-2013), Dom Heffner (08-01-2013), dubc47834 (07-30-2013), SporkLover (07-30-2013)

  7. #19
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,267

    Re: Source: ARod faces lifetime suspension

    Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Okay. Am I the only one who wishes that both Pete Rose and Alex Rodriguez would just go away?
    No.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  8. Likes:

    blumj (07-31-2013)

  9. #20
    Maple SERP savafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    17,584

    Re: Source: ARod faces lifetime suspension

    http://nesn.com/2013/07/report-mlb-s...t-drug-policy/

    MLB may be looking to suspend ARod under the CBA, not PED rules.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

  10. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,012

    Re: Source: ARod faces lifetime suspension

    Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    You lost me there. He was managing one of the teams he bet on.
    You got me there....at least he was betting them to win and his wagers did not affect any records or stats or cost anyone a job.....these PED users are costing union members jobs, they are altering records and they are directly affecting the outcome of a game.....while both peds and gambling on your team are both bad and deserve punishment, one does more damage than the other.

  11. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,012

    Re: Source: ARod faces lifetime suspension

    Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Okay. Am I the only one who wishes that both Pete Rose and Alex Rodriguez would just go away?
    I wish Pete would not pass go, collect 200 dollars and go straight to the HOF....I hate that reds fans have almost all but turned their backs on Pete. It's time to forgive and move on, not forget, but still move on.....Pete did his time, lets let him enjoy the game and the career that made us all happy. He deserves his time at the podium.

  12. Likes:

    remdog (07-30-2013)

  13. #23
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,889

    Re: Source: ARod faces lifetime suspension

    Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    I wish Pete would not pass go, collect 200 dollars and go straight to the HOF....I hate that reds fans have almost all but turned their backs on Pete. It's time to forgive and move on, not forget, but still move on.....Pete did his time, lets let him enjoy the game and the career that made us all happy. He deserves his time at the podium.
    No he doesn't.

    He broke the rules. He is paying the price.

  14. #24
    Member Norm Chortleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,516

    Re: Source: ARod faces lifetime suspension

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    Is there a sign saying you can't do this?
    Nope. Only for gambling and pepper.

  15. #25
    No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    8,442

    Re: Source: ARod faces lifetime suspension

    Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    I wish Pete would not pass go, collect 200 dollars and go straight to the HOF....I hate that reds fans have almost all but turned their backs on Pete. It's time to forgive and move on, not forget, but still move on.....Pete did his time, lets let him enjoy the game and the career that made us all happy. He deserves his time at the podium.
    I'm fine with him going to the HOF. I'm also fine with him not. I can see both sides. Either way, this discussion has run its course many, many times.

  16. #26
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cincy West
    Posts
    5,088

    Re: Source: ARod faces lifetime suspension

    Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I'm fine with him going to the HOF. I'm also fine with him not. I can see both sides. Either way, this discussion has run its course many, many times.
    We just had this discussion about Pete this month.

    Our regular Pete Rose/gambling/HoF "discussions" are scheduled quarterly.

    You're right, it's far too early.

  17. Likes:

    RedEye (07-30-2013), smith288 (08-01-2013)

  18. #27
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,629

    Re: Source: ARod faces lifetime suspension

    Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I hope not, only because I want the Yankees to have to fully pay that idiotic contract.
    I understand where you're coming from but who's the biggest villain here? I'm no Yankees fan but I don't want ARod to get that money. I want him screwed more than the Yankees

  19. Likes:

    Red in Chicago (07-30-2013), remdog (07-30-2013)

  20. #28
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,290

    Re: Source: ARod faces lifetime suspension

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I understand where you're coming from but who's the biggest villain here? I'm no Yankees fan but I don't want ARod to get that money. I want him screwed more than the Yankees
    Both. The Yankees and ARod are in the bed they made together. If the Yankees didn't know he was using PED's then they had their head buried in the sand. They signed an aging ARod, already admitted to PED usage, to a massive contract. Now they are doing everything they can to avoid playing him this season so insurance picks up the tab this year and then suspension allows them not to pay him into next year.

    I hope MLB hands out the suspensions one minute after the trade deadline. If a team has benefited from a cheating player they shouldn't have time to trade to fill that missing piece. It irritated me that the Giants knew about Cabrera's suspension last season and were able to make a move to replace him. If Nelson Cruz is suspended, which many feel he will be, then make the Rangers pay the price during the playoff stretch. They sure were taking advantage of his talents while he was juicing.

  21. Likes:

    joshua (07-31-2013)

  22. #29
    Pimpin...literally!!! dubc47834's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Terre Haute, In
    Posts
    1,504

    Re: Source: ARod faces lifetime suspension

    Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    Anything that brings more attention to the word "lifetime ban" and I am all for it.....I want everyone, including the media to play every avenue of the the term lifetime ban.....maybe this will get baseball back in favor of Pete.....I am still salty over this whole PED mess that baseball is in and guys are given a 50 game suspension for altering records and averages and stats and wins and losses and Pete gets life for betting on games that he had no direct influence over.....

    Disclaimer: I am not trying to say Pete is innocent or anything like that....all I am merely saying is Pete Rose has done his time and done far more time than almost every PED user in all of MLB history....add up every PED users suspension and they still don't equal the years that Pete has been banned.....to me, that is a disgrace. Pete is guilty and deserved his punishment, every bit of it.....but it's time to end and end now. Arod has possible cheated stats and wins and losses and might even have cheated his way to a World Series title and MVP and all people can do is talk about a 50 game or 1 year suspension? Please, get this guy and every other PeD user out of MLB for life, I would feel the sake way if Votto had made a simple mistake a failed one test.....1 failed test should mean at the very minimum your career stats re-set to zero.
    No, Pete has not done his time yet. His time was a lifetime ban. I don't think I have seen a Pete Rose obituary yet!

  23. Likes:

    PuffyPig (07-31-2013)

  24. #30
    Pimpin...literally!!! dubc47834's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Terre Haute, In
    Posts
    1,504

    Re: Source: ARod faces lifetime suspension

    Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    I wish Pete would not pass go, collect 200 dollars and go straight to the HOF....I hate that reds fans have almost all but turned their backs on Pete. It's time to forgive and move on, not forget, but still move on.....Pete did his time, lets let him enjoy the game and the career that made us all happy. He deserves his time at the podium.
    Pete turned his back on us Reds fans to make a dollar. Also, turned his back on us when he refused to admit to what he done. Me, you, or anyone know for sure if he didn't bet on the Reds to lose. Sure, Pete had a HOF career, but the HOF isn't just about the game according to the by-laws!!!

  25. Likes:

    PuffyPig (07-31-2013), redhawkfish (07-31-2013)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25