Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Source: ARod faces lifetime suspension

Re: Source: ARod faces lifetime suspension

Jeeps just give AROD the 50 games and baseball can move on with it's life already.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Jeeps just give AROD the 50 games and baseball can move on with it's life already.
    But it's personal with A Rod. It also involves the Yankees and the possibility they can save some $$ on that idiotic contract and acquire more talent for their regularly scheduled game on ESPN.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

4. Likes:

Donder (08-01-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    The discussion I was talking about in my above post had a comment that was pretty much, word for word, exactly what you just said. Was that you yesterday?

Rem
    Nah, but whoever it was had to be particularly

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    He deserves a lot more than 50 games as a repeat offender, lying to investigators and inhibiting the investigation and gathering of facts

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    He deserves a lot more than 50 games as a repeat offender, lying to investigators and inhibiting the investigation and gathering of facts
    obstructing and coercing witnesses as well.
    sorry we're boring

An interesting part of this story to me is baseball's continues zeal to go after these players. No other American sports league seems to go after its own players like baseball. Why? Allen Barra of the Atlantic asked the same question here:
    http://www.theatlantic.com/entertain...ecords/278224/

I'm more interested in the motivation for the action than the action itself. Baseball has a number of reasons for going after these guys (and particularly Braun and A-Rod).
    1) Shame: They want the previously indignant Braun to eat his words after mocking MLB's testing system and its flaws.
    2) Eliminating PED's: This one is obvious but is almost impossible to do. I don't think baseball really thinks they can do this.
    Now we get to the one that is the most interesting to me:
    3) Weakening the Players Union: The MLBPA might be the strongest union in the country. They have had an almost perfectly unified front since the days of Marvin Miller. But, PED's have begun to shows some cracks in the organization. Players are speaking out against players in ways that they didn't (even during the Bonds/Giambi era). http://www.semissourian.com/story/1988325.html http://www.slate.com/articles/sports..._division.html
    Here is MLB's best chance to divide the union in a way that wasn't previously possible.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Keeping Arod out of the Mays, Ruth, Aaron triumvirate is a pleasure I will take from any of this.

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    An interesting part of this story to me is baseball's continues zeal to go after these players. No other American sports league seems to go after its own players like baseball. Why? Allen Barra of the Atlantic asked the same question here:

I'm more interested in the motivation for the action than the action itself. Baseball has a number of reasons for going after these guys (and particularly Braun and A-Rod).
    1) Shame: They want the previously indignant Braun to eat his words after mocking MLB's testing system and its flaws.
    2) Eliminating PED's: This one is obvious but is almost impossible to do. I don't think baseball really thinks they can do this.
    3) Weakening the Players Union: The MLBPA might be the strongest union in the country. They have had an almost perfectly unified front since the days of Marvin Miller. But, PED's have begun to shows some cracks in the organization. Players are speaking out against players in ways that they didn't (even during the Bonds/Giambi era). http://www.semissourian.com/story/1988325.html http://www.slate.com/articles/sports..._division.html
    Here is MLB's best chance to divide the union in a way that wasn't previously possible.
    To be fair, I think the MLB kind of had to cannabilize their own after the Federal Government started going after their guys. Better they be seen as taking action instead of acting surprised when they get caught.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post

Yes but it is still a slap on the wrist compared to how Track and Field and even cycling treats offenders. With Track, unless there is cooperation and extenuating circumstances, first time offenders get a two year suspension. With A Rod we are looking at potentially a little over a year suspension for someone who is an admitted prior user. While this is a huge hit compared to the joke of the NFL program, it is still light compared to T&F.

Baseball is a much larger business than track and field and cycling. I don't think they can afford those kind of suspensions when there is still big names to be punished.

If they can make A Rod the poster boy for the steroid era and get rid of him for good while simultaneously deterring future generations from using (as much as possible granted) then it's a win/win for MLB. Win/win/win if you want to count how much they profited off players using PEDs in the late 90s and early 2000s

As for the NFL, nobody really cares if those guys use b/c the fans aren't as attached to history and numbers as baseball fans are. It's more "entertainment" and less romantic than baseball.
    Last edited by TSJ55; 08-01-2013 at 10:02 AM.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Because Braun made a deal and it never had to go this far.
    But baseball didn't go as hard after Braun as they are ARod. It doesn't sound like a lifetime ban was on the table for Braun. To me, what Braun did was far worse than ARod, Braun totally embarassed baseball, said this huge injustice was done, and got a man who makes waaaay less money than him, fired from his job. From what I have read, the guy didn't really do anything wrong, and from 1st hand experience in dealing with urinalysis, this guy didn't do anything wrong. Don't get me wrong, ARod deserves everything coming his way, but Braun got off easy!

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Yes but it is still a slap on the wrist compared to how Track and Field and even cycling treats offenders. With Track, unless there is cooperation and extenuating circumstances, first time offenders get a two year suspension. With A Rod we are looking at potentially a little over a year suspension for someone who is an admitted prior user. While this is a huge hit compared to the joke of the NFL program, it is still light compared to T&F.
    And why can they suspend the way they do? Because they don't have a union to deal with. If there were a super strong international cyclists union, they would have fought against the suspensions.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

15. Likes:

klw (08-01-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    But baseball didn't go as hard after Braun as they are ARod. It doesn't sound like a lifetime ban was on the table for Braun. To me, what Braun did was far worse than ARod, Braun totally embarassed baseball, said this huge injustice was done, and got a man who makes waaaay less money than him, fired from his job. From what I have read, the guy didn't really do anything wrong, and from 1st hand experience in dealing with urinalysis, this guy didn't do anything wrong. Don't get me wrong, ARod deserves everything coming his way, but Braun got off easy!
    I think they are basically doing the same thing with both players. Braun just agreed right away not to fight the suspension, whereas A-Rod is brandishing his team of attorneys like a menace. A lot of this is just both sides puffing their feathers. I think we'll see an agreement shortly. Probably a longer suspension than Braun got, just because A-Rod already has documented use in 2003-2004. I'm guessing at least a full season.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I think they are basically doing the same thing with both players. Braun just agreed right away not to fight the suspension, whereas A-Rod is brandishing his team of attorneys like a menace. A lot of this is just both sides puffing their feathers. I think we'll see an agreement shortly. Probably a longer suspension than Braun got, just because A-Rod already has documented use in 2003-2004. I'm guessing at least a full season.
    I personally expect A Fraud to "retire" and still receive a portion of his pay check from the Yanks to just "go away".
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    I personally expect A Fraud to "retire" and still receive a portion of his pay check from the Yanks to just "go away".
    Sounds about right. He is 38 years old with a serious injury, so a year or more suspension would basically do just this.

Turn Off Ads?