Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Source: ARod faces lifetime suspension

Re: Source: ARod faces lifetime suspension

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Sounds about right. He is 38 years old with a serious injury, so a year or more suspension would basically do just this.
    ARod always struck me as an egomaniac. I don't see someone like that leaving all that money on the table and retiring.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    ARod always struck me as an egomaniac. I don't see someone like that leaving all that money on the table and retiring.
    Yeah, there's that side of things, too. Well, we'll know a lot more about what is going to happen in the next 36 hours or so, won't we?

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

I think they are basically doing the same thing with both players. Braun just agreed right away not to fight the suspension, whereas A-Rod is brandishing his team of attorneys like a menace. A lot of this is just both sides puffing their feathers. I think we'll see an agreement shortly. Probably a longer suspension than Braun got, just because A-Rod already has documented use in 2003-2004. I'm guessing at least a full season.
    Yeah, but Braun also had the "failed" test...oh well man. Just can't wait for this to be over with. I'm tired of hearing about it!!!

5. Likes:

Captain13 (08-01-2013),RedEye (08-01-2013)

I'm glad he's going down, I just hope the Yankees still have to pay out that horrible contract.

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysawarrior View Post
    I'm glad he's going down, I just hope the Yankees still have to pay out that horrible contract.
    Do you think that because...?

A.) You feel they should legally be obligated to
    B.) Because you just don't like the Yankees

IF A-Rod received the Yankee contract based off of production sustained while on PED's, then the Yankees, effectively, had bad information that they based their investment off of. While I personally cannot stand the Yankees organization, I don't feel they should be penalized for a contract that was handed out due to bogus numbers from a player that was using a banned (performance enhancing) substance.

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    Do you think that because...?
    IF A-Rod received the Yankee contract based off of production sustained while on PED's, then the Yankees, effectively, had bad information that they based their investment off of. While I personally cannot stand the Yankees organization, I don't feel they should be penalized for a contract that was handed out due to bogus numbers from a player that was using a banned (performance enhancing) substance.
    A-Roid's contract is by far the worst in the history of baseball. The Yankees should be penalized for:
    1. Thinking he could be worth $20+ million at ages 37-42.
    2. Bidding against themselves. No one else was offering anything close IIRC.

Trust me, I get that point.

As stupid as the contract is, (and it IS very stupid), I also see the other side where the Yankees gave a contract based on "manipulated" statistics. There has to be SOME legal mumbo-jumbo that they can look for and assess to A-Roid as a breach of contract.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Trust me, I get that point.

As stupid as the contract is, (and it IS very stupid), I also see the other side where the Yankees gave a contract based on "manipulated" statistics. There has to be SOME legal mumbo-jumbo that they can look for and assess to A-Roid as a breach of contract.
    I agree in that I think the Yankees have no problem at all with anyone taking PEDS, posting gargantuan numbers, and playing full time until they're 42 or so.

Unless they get caught.

In a way, ARod and the Yankees deserve each other. I for one am enjoying the show, and rooting for no one.
    sorry we're boring

Ok, but Im looking at this from a big-picture standpoint. If MLB rules the Yankees do NOT have to pay A-Rod's salary, that sends a pretty big message to other players who have used or are currently using PED's. Getting caught is one thing...getting caught and not getting paid is a MUCH harsher penalty. If MLB is serious about cleaning up the sport, which they appear to be, players should not be paid their contract under ANY suspension. Braun isn't getting paid his remaining 2013 salary so why should A-Rod?

I agree that if MLB puts the Yanks money where its mouth is this will be huge -- and will for once enforce a policy that will mainly be lip service until there are serious financial repercussions for those who dip in the PED well.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Interestingly enough ARod has a bonus in his contract where he is supposed to get $30M in marketing bonuses once he reaches 660 HRs. He's currently at 647. That's not including his regular salary. So if he's suspended for life, the Yankees catch a $30M break.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

14. Likes:

dubc47834 (08-02-2013)

I really do think that A-Rod will not be paid under whichever suspension is handed to him. Especially if it is just through 2014 or 2015 as speculated. With A-Rod changing his tune and now cooperating I suspect there won't be a true lifetime ban but rather a ban long enough to keep him off the field until he'd no longer be able to produce at the MLB level.

I really do think that A-Rod will not be paid under whichever suspension is handed to him. Especially if it is just through 2014 or 2015 as speculated. With A-Rod changing his tune and now cooperating I suspect there won't be a true lifetime ban but rather a ban long enough to keep him off the field until he'd no longer be able to produce at the MLB level.
    In which case it will actually be more like a forced retirement.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

One interesting tidbit being reported. A-Rod's PED of choice?

HGH, not steroids.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

In which case it will actually be more like a forced retirement.
    Exactly. The only difference being he likely won't be banned from MLB sanctioned events like Pete Rose is currently.

Turn Off Ads?