Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed on likely spider bite

Advice needed on likely spider bite

Was hoping there were some doctors in the house, or at least anyone that has some experience/expertise with probable spider bites.

I have a really bright red mark on my ankle about an inch in diameter, with two distinct brownish bite marks in the middle. It certainly looks like a spider bite. That area is itchy in itself, but furthermore, the 3-5 inch area below it -- about 2-3 inches wide -- is also very itchy, slightly pink and showing signs of swelling a good deal. There is not any severe pain but some mild discomfort when touching the area.

I don't have reason to believe this is a serious issue, as I've not experienced any nausea, cramping, breathing problems or vomiting. I noticed it this morning when I woke up, but thought it was just a mosquito bite as they are common around here, especially when it's been rainy or moist. But the severity of the itching, redness and swelling has increased throughout the evening. I am not sure if it could lead to those other symptoms if I don't address the bite, so I'm hoping there is someone out there that could give some advice whether I should go get it checked out.
    Last edited by Brutus; 07-29-2013 at 02:36 AM.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Advice needed on likely spider bite

R.I.P Brutus
    Melbourne to Cincinnati - September 1st - 12th 2013

4. Likes:

Red in Chicago (07-29-2013),TeamCasey (07-29-2013),Tom Servo (07-29-2013)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Was hoping there were some doctors in the house, or at least anyone that has some experience/expertise with probable spider bites.

I have a really bright red mark on my ankle about an inch in diameter, with two distinct brownish bite marks in the middle. It certainly looks like a spider bite. That area is itchy in itself, but furthermore, the 3-5 inch area below it -- about 2-3 inches wide -- is also very itchy, slightly pink and showing signs of swelling a good deal. There is not any severe pain but some mild discomfort when touching the area.

I don't have reason to believe this is a serious issue, as I've not experienced any nausea, cramping, breathing problems or vomiting. I noticed it this morning when I woke up, but thought it was just a mosquito bite as they are common around here, especially when it's been rainy or moist. But the severity of the itching, redness and swelling has increased throughout the evening. I am not sure if it could lead to those other symptoms if I don't address the bite, so I'm hoping there is someone out there that could give some advice where I should go get it checked out.
    Good luck. I would probably sleep on it and check it in the morning, but if it is any worse I would head to a doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by Australian Red View Post
    R.I.P Brutus
    Very direct style you have there
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Good luck. I would probably sleep on it and check it in the morning, but if it is any worse I would head to a doctor.
    That's where I am currently leaning, but given the rapid nature of swelling and area of discomfort the last several hours, my attentiveness to the issue has certainly grown.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Had a similar encounter recently, only on my hip, which really sucked (being a side-sleeper). You're probably fine since there are no other serious symptoms, but may wanna get it checked out for ease of mind and perhaps something for the itching.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

"This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Whatever you do ...... do not google spider bite images !!!!
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

11. Likes:

RedlegJake (07-29-2013)

I called poison control early this morning and they said it didn't exhibit the signs of a Black Widow or Brown Recluse, which were the only two spiders in the U.S. they'd immediately advise someone to seek medical attention. They said there are other spiders that can cause severe local swelling and discomfort, but that I should give it a couple of days to see if the swelling and itchiness subsides. It's still swollen but it hasn't gotten worse since last night, so it looks like it will be fine.

High five!

Do you have any vampire cats in your house?

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Do you have any vampire cats in your house?

I banned all bloodsuckers, both in the human and feline form. I've found the need for far fewer blood transfusions this way.

15. Likes:

dougdirt (07-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    Whatever you do ...... do not google spider bite images !!!!
    WebMD is best in small doses too. If you're not careful, you can convince yourself you have everything from gout to bubonic plague.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

unless you actually saw the spider most "spider bites" are actually not spider bites. a lot of these are bacterial infections especially MRSA infections. MRSA can affect ill people in many ways (pneumonia, urine infections, blood infections). in healthy people it can still cause serious skin abscesses. people usually end up needing an I&D (incision and drainage) in the emergency room or in the operating room. from what you are describing you need to get this looked at. if you do have a bacterial infection (especially MRSA) the sooner you get treatment started the better.
    Last edited by Will M; 07-29-2013 at 03:51 PM.

18. Likes:

BoxingRed (07-30-2013)

one more thing. the fact that it itches is probably a good thing. it makes it more likely that it is a reaction to a bite rather than a bacterial infection. however, its impossible to make a good diagnosis without actually looking at your leg.

A few years ago I had what I thought was a spider bite on my hip. It ended up being a skin absess as Will M is describing. I was lucky and it was no MRSA though, just a random bacterial infection. Personally I would not wait a couple days and go to the doctor ASAP. The sooner you are on antibiotics the better.

Turn Off Ads?