Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice needed on likely spider bite

Re: Advice needed on likely spider bite

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    most "spider bites" are actually not spider bites. a lot of these are bacterial infections especially MRSA infections. MRSA can affect ill people in many ways (pneumonia, urine infections, blood infections). in healthy people it can still cause serious skin abscesses. people usually end up needing an I&D (incision and drainage) in the emergency room or in the operating room. from what you are describing you need to get this looked at. if you do have a bacterial infection (especially MRSA) the sooner you get treatment started the better.
    I appreciate it. I'm sure it's a spider bite though. It's got the two very distinct bite marks in the center of the red area that have scabbed over, with smallish white rings about both, and my room has been a hotbed for spiders recently as I see them very often. And there isn't any puss whatsoever, which my understanding was often more indicative of an infection.

The fang marks are pretty distinct in this case.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    I appreciate it. I'm sure it's a spider bite though. It's got the two very distinct bite marks in the center of the red area that have scabbed over, with smallish white rings about both, and my room has been a hotbed for spiders recently as I see them very often. And there isn't any puss whatsoever, which my understanding was often more indicative of an infection.

The fang marks are pretty distinct in this case.
    As a general rule, the absence of pus doesn't rule out an infection. Infections (especially of the Staphylococcus aureus variety) are quite often misdiagnosed as being spider bites. But I'd expect that you'd be in a considerable amount of pain with the symptoms spreading beyond the area that they've been localized to by now, rather than experiencing just itching. However, if the redness begins to spread out from beyond that area and the symptoms worsen in any way, you'll really need to get it checked out further ASAP.

4. Likes:

BoxingRed (07-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin Fan View Post
    As a general rule, the absence of pus doesn't rule out an infection. Infections (especially of the Staphylococcus aureus variety) are quite often misdiagnosed as being spider bites. But I'd expect that you'd be in a considerable amount of pain with the symptoms spreading beyond the area that they've been localized to by now, rather than experiencing just itching. However, if the redness begins to spread out from beyond that area and the symptoms worsen in any way, you'll really need to get it checked out further ASAP.
    Thanks a ton. I will definitely do that.

Fortunately the discomfort is mostly gone now outside of the immediate area, and the swelling below the target area has subsided considerably. So it seems that it's improving.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Ignore it and it will go away. Your leg that is.

Echoing Will, I thought I had a spider bite a few years ago, but it turned out to be MRSA. My leg swelled up and turned black from knee to ankle. If I had waited a little longer before going to the doctor, I might have lost it.

Not to alarm you or anything....

otoh, I had a co-worker a few years earlier who was bitten by a brown recluse. I miss her.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Has your leg fallen off yet? Have you turned into Spiderman?

He can't respond because the webbing keeps clogging up his keyboard.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Has your leg fallen off yet? Have you turned into Spiderman?
    haha I am happy to report that I do not have a "spidey sense" about me.

The swelling has completely subsided and it's returning to normal. The bite area is still really red and a bit itchy, but everything else is A-OK.

10. Likes:

dougdirt (07-31-2013),Roy Tucker (08-01-2013)

Normal for now, maybe, but wait 'til morning. Have you read Kafka?

Turn Off Ads?