Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The emergence of Tony Cingrani

Re: The emergence of Tony Cingrani

My only concern is Rick Ankiel syndrome. But it seems Cingrani is mentally tough enough to handle the pressure of the playoffs.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    My only concern is Rick Ankiel syndrome. But it seems Cingrani is mentally tough enough to handle the pressure of the playoffs.
    Playoffs did you say Playoffs?
    HUBBA A man who knows everything,just can't remember it all at one time.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Is that really a concern? I mean out of how many rookies in the history of the game to play in October, one guy loses it ten years ago and it's a concern?

5. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (09-06-2013),Redeyecat (09-06-2013),RedlegJake (09-07-2013),Tom Servo (09-06-2013),WrongVerb (09-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    So am I the only one who would rather see Cingrani make a playoff start over Leake...? And it's really nothing against Leake as I like him, but when it's big game time, my feeling is give me a guy who can strike guys out.
    I agree 100%.

7. Likes:

Edd Roush (09-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Power arms win post season games. If it were up to me I am going Latos, Bailey and then Cingrani. Correct me if I am wrong but aren't these three the only ones to get W's against the Cards?
    Absolutely. I'd even consider switching Bailey and Cingrani depending on who and where they're playing. That being said, there's no chance Cingrani beats out Arroyo for the 3 spot. Arroyo and Leake are great for the marathon that the season is, but I want pitchers that miss bats to start in the playoffs.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Latos and Bailey are the top Reds pitchers and it isn't even close (with Cueto injured).

Ranked 4th and 7th in the NL in WAR. The next best teammates would be Lee and Hamels at 9 and 10. The next best playoff team is the Dodgers at 2 and 18.

10. Likes:

Edd Roush (09-07-2013),HokieRed (09-06-2013)

I'm almost thinking Homer should start a one game playoff. So Latos can start game one of the next one.

If Cueto can get up to 60ish pitches, I wouldn't mind seeing a split game where Cueto throws 4 innings and Cingrani picks up from there. If Cueto is coming back as good as the reports are saying, the Cueto/Cingrani combo is another "ace" starter to add to the rotation
    Just call me Legs

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Power arms win post season games. If it were up to me I am going Latos, Bailey and then Cingrani. Correct me if I am wrong but aren't these three the only ones to get W's against the Cards?
    Yea, the fact that the Cards do a lot worse vs LH pitchers is another point in starting Cingrani.

I guess I am assuming Pitt still wins the division and we play StL in the wildcard.
    In that case, I would want Latos to start in the sudden death game with Cingrani on standby.

Yesterday's game, Leake pretty much shut down the Dodgers other than 1 HR.
    That's pretty darn impressive, as LA has won about 75% of their games after the AS break. It's a tough choice for sure. Tougher now that we've seen Cingrani pitch more. I could go either way, honestly.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Latos, Bailey and Cingrani. Cingrani brings it, he is a lefty, both points in his favor. I'm not afraid to use Leake or Arroyo, I just think Cingrani adds a balance to the rotation for the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Is that really a concern? I mean out of how many rookies in the history of the game to play in October, one guy loses it ten years ago and it's a concern?
    I don't think it's a big concern, but even before Ankeil's meltdown game, there was concern about the pressures of starting a rookie in the playoffs. There really haven't been that many rookie starters in the playoffs, as most teams do like to keep them in the pen for their first time in the playoffs.

The concern isn't that the player will be forever ruined, as what happened to Ankeil, but just that the rookie won't be able to handle the pressure and pitch a poor game. When every game is essential, that has to be a concern. We all saw what happened to the Reds their first time in the playoffs in 2010.

I don't think it's a big concern, but even before Ankeil's meltdown game, there was concern about the pressures of starting a rookie in the playoffs. There really haven't been that many rookie starters in the playoffs, as most teams do like to keep them in the pen for their first time in the playoffs.

The concern isn't that the player will be forever ruined, as what happened to Ankeil, but just that the rookie won't be able to handle the pressure and pitch a poor game. When every game is essential, that has to be a concern. We all saw what happened to the Reds their first time in the playoffs in 2010.
    I saw the pitching staff do awesome things, I saw Jay Bruce crush the ball. I saw veteran Scott Rolen go 1-11 with 8 strikeouts.

The whole rookie/veteran thing is overblown. Talent trumps it except in super rare situations like Ankiel.

I am much less worried about Cingrani throwing a poor game than I am about Arroyo or Leake getting hit around with their lack of swing and miss stuff.

17. Likes:

Old school 1983 (09-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I saw the pitching staff do awesome things, I saw Jay Bruce crush the ball. I saw veteran Scott Rolen go 1-11 with 8 strikeouts.

The whole rookie/veteran thing is overblown. Talent trumps it except in super rare situations like Ankiel.

I am much less worried about Cingrani throwing a poor game than I am about Arroyo or Leake getting hit around with their lack of swing and miss stuff.
    I saw a team fold under the pressure of the bright lights of the playoffs and embarrass themselves with the world watching. I got dozens of texts and emails from non Reds fan friends making fun of me, or feeling sorry for me. As I said back then, for 15 years, I wanted to see the Reds play in the playoffs in the worst way possible, and in 2010, I got my wish.

I have seen quite a few players, rookies and veterans overwhelmed by the pressures of the playoffs. It's a completely different game than the one played during the regular season. Some can handle it, some can't.

I don't think it will be an issue for Cingrani, but it's certainly something to think about.

I saw a team fold under the pressure of the bright lights of the playoffs and embarrass themselves with the world watching. I got dozens of texts and emails from non Reds fan friends making fun of me, or feeling sorry for me. As I said back then, for 15 years, I wanted to see the Reds play in the playoffs in the worst way possible, and in 2010, I got my wish.

I have seen quite a few players, rookies and veterans overwhelmed by the pressures of the playoffs. It's a completely different game than the one played during the regular season. Some can handle it, some can't.
    Or you know, maybe, just maybe, the other guys were just better.

Turn Off Ads?