Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The emergence of Tony Cingrani

Re: The emergence of Tony Cingrani

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Cueto in his first major league start?
    "Only" 10 Ks.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I said after his first start that sooner or later he would start getting his brains beat in, because all he had was one pitch.

Well.... I'm still waiting for that to happen. I can't say that he's better than Fernandez or Miller, but when's the last time we had a lefty starter with this much potential? (Outside of considering Chapman as a starter, of course). You have to go back a lonnggggg ways.
    Last edited by cincrazy; 07-29-2013 at 10:26 PM.

4. Likes:

Slyder (07-29-2013)

His development has certainly opened some doors this offseason for potential deals.

At a minimum it has probably sealed Arroyo's fate with the team

Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Cingrani and Leake are a good 1-5.

Cueto, Latos, Chapman, Cingrani and Leake could also be a very good 1-5.

Cingrani's development makes a Bailey trade (maybe for Profar) more likely this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    His development has certainly opened some doors this offseason for potential deals.

At a minimum it has probably sealed Arroyo's fate with the team

Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Cingrani and Leake are a good 1-5.

Cueto, Latos, Chapman, Cingrani and Leake could also be a very good 1-5.

Cingrani's development makes a Bailey trade (maybe for Profar) more likely this offseason.
    I would rather sign Bailey to a LTC and trade Cueto. Both are under Reds control just through 2014. Homer might only have 5 wins but he has 13 QS only 2nd to Arroyo on the team

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    I would rather sign Bailey to a LTC and trade Cueto. Both are under Reds control just through 2014. Homer might only have 5 wins but he has 13 QS only 2nd to Arroyo on the team
    we have cueto through 2015
    Just call me Legs

So I am guessing, reading through this, that some folks are no longer dead certain that Cingrani can't make it in the bigs as a starter because he just has one pitch?

(Something that was never true)
    (narratives that get set based on false things are fun to watch die)

9. Likes:

WrongVerb (08-16-2013)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Tony C has been a revelation. Far surpassed any expectations I had for him. If we somehow manage to ink Homer to a ltc, I daresay our starting pitching will be better than it ever has in the history of this franchise.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Keep three of Latos, Leake, Bailey, Cueto. Add Cingrani and then Stephenson. With Corcino, Rogers, Lively, Cisco, Renken, Lorenzen et al, waiting if someone falters. And likely three first round picks next June and another the june after to add another Stephenson type arm or two. Pitching should not be much of a problem for a while.

12. Likes:

Benihana (08-16-2013)

Bump.

Hard to fathom where this team is without Cingrani this year. Stunning that Cueto has pretty much missed the season and this team hasn't really missed a beat filling in his spot.

Just really impressive.

14. Likes:

Benihana (08-16-2013),mdccclxix (08-16-2013),OnBaseMachine (08-16-2013),Tommyjohn25 (08-16-2013),wheels (08-16-2013)

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Keep three of Latos, Leake, Bailey, Cueto. Add Cingrani and then Stephenson. With Corcino, Rogers, Lively, Cisco, Renken, Lorenzen et al, waiting if someone falters. And likely three first round picks next June and another the june after to add another Stephenson type arm or two. Pitching should not be much of a problem for a while.
    do not tempt the baseball gods
    Last edited by Red Raindog; 08-16-2013 at 07:28 AM. Reason: typo
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

16. Likes:

mdccclxix (08-16-2013),Tom Servo (08-16-2013)

Reds really haven't missed a beat after Cueto went down once again. Cingrani has just been terrific. When he's more pitch efficient he will be all the better too.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Reds really haven't missed a beat after Cueto went down once again. Cingrani has just been terrific. When he's more pitch efficient he will be all the better too.
    Considering his youth, the last thing I worry about with him is his pitch efficiancy. That will improve, I suspect, as his career deepens and he garners experience. It is thrilling how effective he is right now just as he is, in my view, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Considering his youth, the last thing I worry about with him is his pitch efficiancy. That will improve, I suspect, as his career deepens and he garners experience. It is thrilling how effective he is right now just as he is, in my view, anyway.
    Not only will the experience and wisdom help, but let's not forget that he's still learning how to use his secondary pitches. Pretty darn impressive; I hope it keeps up.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Did anyone catch his interview on the post game show last night? He needs a little tutoring from Arroyo on how to give interviews.
    His facial expressions and answers kind of conveyed "Why are you asking me these dumb questions". Lots of shoulder shrugs too. Kind of awkward.. Not that I want to get rid of him though.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

21. Likes:

Old NDN (08-16-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    RedlegJake, I'm not singling you out, because I do this too, most of us do, but that long tail of AAAA starters is different every year and it never seems to mean much when the games are played, does it? At different times, I've listed Villareal, Corcino, Lecure, Wood, Chapman, Reynolds, Galaraga, Masset, Bray, etc, etc. At any one time, it's been at most 6 real quality rotation starters (which is awesome to say) and like 5 suspects that hold a little promise. Fortunately we've not had to rely on that long tail in quite a while, and when we did, Cingrani turned up aces. That said, hopefully Stephenson shows up ready and healthy to stay, if he's relied on as the 5th guy. Latos, Cueto, Leake, Cingrani, Stephenson is a mighty fine rotation. But Cueto's injury bug may continue, so I'm really hoping someone from the long tail of Chapman, Corcino, Rodgers, and FA vets can actually emerge. I'm not optimistic there. This off season might be a good one to let Bronson walk and pickup a buy low deal on Josh Johnson or the like to raise the profile of that long(shot) tail. /rant over

Turn Off Ads?