Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The emergence of Tony Cingrani

Re: The emergence of Tony Cingrani

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    Agreed. Although I think the biggest knock against him at this point is his efficiency. Every few starts, he has a high PC going into 4th or 5th inning. Also, he is quick between pitches and I believe one team exploited that by taking time between pitches (can't remember who though).

I think if he is consistent with current productivity, the end of the year numbers will be hard to differentiate from the other guys if their numbers are consistent as well.

Also, thinking more about ROY. I think Cingrani and Teheran might get more consideration considering their teams' offensive production. Miller has the Cardinals who have arguably the best offense in MLB which doesn't make him as valuable as the Reds and Braves need their rookie SP.
    Cingrani and Teheran get more consideration because their teams have the 3rd and 4th most runs in the NL, as opposed to the 1st?
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

2. Turn Off Ads?

It'll probably be Puig as a make up for not being chosen for the ASG and the fact he plays his games in L.A.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Cingrani and Teheran get more consideration because their teams have the 3rd and 4th most runs in the NL, as opposed to the 1st?
    My argument is that Teheran and Cingrani are more valuable to their teams because they need the defense more.
    2014 Attendance 0-3
    3/31/14, 4/12/14, 8/14/15

2013 Attendance: 6-0
    4/3/13, 4/16/13, 4/17/13, 8/3/13, 8/21/13, 9/7/13

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

I think it's between Fernandez and Miller at this point. Those guys have both been phenomenal all year -- and are close to 3 WAR. Cingrani has been about as good, but for a shorter amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    ROY consideration aside, what I wanted to focus on is how favorably he compares to Matt Harvey. Same dominat K ability as Harvey in his rookie year, more innings pitched. The Reds have been able to keep his innings down as to not overtax him at the MLB level. It's been remarkable how good he's been.
    I hope Cingrani can duplicate Harvey by starting in the all-star game in 2015.

How could you not love this kid? He'll see some growing pains once the league gets more reads, right? Who knows. Like Doug said, if Tony can improve his control with time he'll be a monster for this team. But even now, he's pretty much untouchable in my book unless Giancarlo Stanton is on the table.

I try not to use terms like "scrappy" or "gamer", but you can just tell by watching Cingrani that he is gritty as hell. Tenacious.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    How could you not love this kid? He'll see some growing pains once the league gets more reads, right? Who knows. Like Doug said, if Tony can improve his control with time he'll be a monster for this team. But even now, he's pretty much untouchable in my book unless Giancarlo Stanton is on the table.

I try not to use terms like "scrappy" or "gamer", but you can just tell by watching Cingrani that he is gritty as hell. Tenacious.
    Guy looks crazy on the mound. Real intense.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

Small sample, but his k/9 would be #1 in the NL against all other qualified starters.

That said, why is his stuff so untouchable?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Small sample, but his k/9 would be #1 in the NL against all other qualified starters.

That said, why is his stuff so untouchable?
    It seems to me that it's a combination of hiding the ball really well on his delivery and having good, downward action on his fastball.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

11. Likes:

TheBigLebowski (08-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    It seems to me that it's a combination of hiding the ball really well on his delivery and having good, downward action on his fastball.

I agree he must hide the ball really well. Also, he seems to me to have a really slow arm action for sitting at 92-94 most of the time. Some guys throw hard and look like they're throwing hard. Tony throws hard and his deliver looks almost of that of a soft-tossing lefty.

Deception, both in terms of hiding the ball and arm action, would be my guess.

Cingrani's minor league career ERA is 1.65. Yikes!
    A summer watching a bad Reds' team, is still a pretty good summer.

I put this in another thread last night, but it'd be more appropriate to put it here.

Interesting tidbit from ESPN Insiders notes, Re: yesterday's game.

*Tony Cingrani is the 1st Reds pitcher with at least 7 innings and 11 strikeouts while allowing no more than 1 hit and 1 walk since Johnny Vander Meer in 1941.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

I'd also like to see him continue to develop his changeup. Hopefully Mario Soto will help him out there.

Really love this kid. He should be untouchable in trade talks.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    I put this in another thread last night, but it'd be more appropriate to put it here.

Interesting tidbit from ESPN Insiders notes, Re: yesterday's game.

*Tony Cingrani is the 1st Reds pitcher with at least 7 innings and 11 strikeouts while allowing no more than 1 hit and 1 walk since Johnny Vander Meer in 1941.
    Cueto in his first major league start?
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Cueto in his first major league start?
    10 k's for Cueto.
    Chapman to the rotation!!!! Do it already!!!!

Turn Off Ads?