Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puig and his slide into home

CEO - Hal Morris Fanclub OC_Red's Avatar

Puig and his slide into home

I have never liked the Dodgers going back to my younger days when the Reds were in the West with them. I didn't get to see yesterday's game live, but I just got to watch Puig's walkoff on MLB.com...I have heard that Puig was a bit of a hot dog, but after watching that ridiculous slide into home to cap off the trot that started with his bat flip deal I am pretty annoyed.

Remember Chapman's somersault after he closed out a game against Milwaukee? I wasn't thrilled about that either (not that it matters since I'm persona non grata)

The Reds play the trolley dodgers for 3 games in Cincy Sept 6-8. Will Puig be dusting himself off on the first pitch of his first at bat? I don't know, I kinda hope not. If I had my druthers I would love to see the Reds just absolutely destroy them three straight. Forget about beanball wars, instead break out the bats and throw up a whole bunch of crooked numbers on them.

Maybe I am overreacting? Maybe Puig was just channeling a Ricky Henderson-like love for the game and I just need to go with it. Thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Puig and his slide into home

All I know is Hal Morris would never have done that!

4. Likes:

OC_Red (07-29-2013)

Surprised it took this long for the subject to come up. I'm as old school, act like you've been here before, play the game the right way as anyone can be....

That in mind, the slide is nothing to get my panties in a bunch over. No. Big. Deal. I look to the lack of Reds offense if I want something to be mad about.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

6. Likes:

OC_Red (07-29-2013),remdog (07-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    Surprised it took this long for the subject to come up. I'm as old school, act like you've been here before, play the game the right way as anyone can be....

That in mind, the slide is nothing to get my panties in a bunch over. No. Big. Deal. I look to the lack of Reds offense if I want something to be mad about.
    I don't disagree, I guess I am more curious to gage reaction on it. I read that Puig just didn't want to mess up his leg like his former Cuban teammate did jumping onto home (Kendrys Morales, anyone?) So he decided to slide.

Quote Originally Posted by OC_Red View Post
    I don't disagree, I guess I am more curious to gage reaction on it. I read that Puig just didn't want to mess up his leg like his former Cuban teammate did jumping onto home (Kendrys Morales, anyone?) So he decided to slide.
    I came across that somewhere too and it makes sense. I always want to look away when I see a player jumping on the plate like that. I didn't notice the bat flip but will go back a watch the replay now.

ETA: Nah, the bat toss wasn't excessive either for me. A walk off bomb in extras earns some leeway.
    Last edited by TSJ55; 07-29-2013 at 02:06 PM.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

Much ado about nothing IMHO.

He's just a young talented kid and he's not very humble. Whatever. Baseball is full of those sorts of personalities.

Besides... it was a big hit... some celebration was in order.

Quote Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post
    Much ado about nothing IMHO.

He's just a young talented kid and he's not very humble. Whatever. Baseball is full of those sorts of personalities.

Besides... it was a big hit... some celebration was in order.
    plus we've got our own Cuban who needed a lesson in humility at one point.

Besides, Puig can be as cocky as he wants for all I care... may just lead to more baserunning mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by TitosLoveChild View Post
    All I know is Hal Morris would never have done that!
    Hit a home run? No, he wouldn't have

12. Likes:

OC_Red (07-30-2013),SporkLover (07-29-2013)

He was just excited he hadn't struck out for the fourth time in the game.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Quote Originally Posted by OC_Red View Post
    I really could not care less about the slide but that reasoning is just flat ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by gfas View Post
    plus we've got our own Cuban who needed a lesson in humility at one point.

Besides, Puig can be as cocky as he wants for all I care... may just lead to more baserunning mistakes
    Enjoyed listening to Scully during the series. He doesn't appear to be a big fan of Puig's antics. In Scully's own words, "he's got a lot to learn."

LOVE Vin Scully. One of the many perks of living in SoCal is getting to listen to him pretty regularly. Makes Sour Grapes Marty look bad. (I love Marty, but the older he gets the more Negative Nancy he becomes)

I want more players like Puig in the league. Looks like he enjoys playing and I enjoyed watching him. He knows he's good. Nothing wrong with that. Just wish that enjoyment came while watching the Reds sweep that series.

18. Likes:

dubc47834 (07-30-2013)

Didn't bother me. From what I have seen of Puig, he has trouble hitting the breaking stuff. Willy Mo Pena revisited. Don't think he will be some great player or hall of famer.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

The slide into home was nothing. Didn't bother me at all. But watching the relays of the pose he struck after hitting the ball makes me think the Reds might buzz him a time or two the next time they see him.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Turn Off Ads?