Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This team needs a shake up...

Re: This team needs a shake up...

It's tough to gauge any player by the traditional stats, especially an inexperienced one like Frazier. Feel free to prove me wrong but here is my general "feeling" of the season thus far. If you look at him game-by-game, his performance is indicative of the team. When the team is hot, the guy drives in about one run per game; when the team is cold he will go 1-4 with a 2-out single with nobody on, at best.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jaydeebee21 View Post
    Not sure what people want out of Frazier. I think people have unrealistic expectations of what people want out of a third baseman in this era.

He is 12th in OPS among all MLB 3B.

Above names like Pablo Sandoval, David Freese and Chase Headley

Some of you may not accept it but he is having a better year then Brandon Phillips.
    Scouts have said he may not be a starting 3B coming up from the minors. I'm just stating he may be better served as a backup with spot starts like he did last year then a regular starting 3B on a contending team.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmiller21kg View Post
    Scouts have said he may not be a starting 3B coming up from the minors. I'm just stating he may be better served as a backup with spot starts like he did last year then a regular starting 3B on a contending team.
    His defensive WAR is slightly above average this year (0.3) but I agree with you in terms of a starting slot. Great locker room presence, decent in key situations, but very average on a day-to-day basis.

Quote Originally Posted by smith3t5 View Post
    It's tough to gauge any player by the traditional stats, especially an inexperienced one like Frazier. Feel free to prove me wrong but here is my general "feeling" of the season thus far. If you look at him game-by-game, his performance is indicative of the team. When the team is hot, the guy drives in about one run per game; when the team is cold he will go 1-4 with a 2-out single with nobody on, at best.
    Over the past 7 games, this team is batting .198 and, coincidentally, we have gone 2-5 over that said period. Low batting averages mean losses. You can toss in war, ops, etc all you want. But if a 3rd baseman and SS cannot hit about a .240 clip consistently, that team will struggle to win games.

A weak hitting SS has been part of many a great team. Lay the blame on Cozart? Are you kidding? No power from LF. No power against lefty pitching from practically anyone. Except for brief stretches the catcher spot has been abysmal all year. But lets lay the blame on the SS. And the 3B is who actually a bit above the league average. The offense is dysfunctional because the parts aren't well meshed - out of balance - but Cozart is not the problem. Frazier really isn't either. And neither is defensively.

7. Likes:

remdog (08-01-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by smith3t5 View Post
    His defensive WAR is slightly above average this year (0.3) but I agree with you in terms of a starting slot. Great locker room presence, decent in key situations, but very average on a day-to-day basis.
    Yep. I really like Frazier, but I feel he's better served in that situation. He's a guy who can come in and play LF as well. Perfect bench bat/spot start kind of guy.

Frazier's rookie season (last year) was good. This season isn't so much, but he's proven to be able to play defense. Give him his 3rd season before relegating him to the bench. Not every position can have an all-star player at it...average players are needed.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    A weak hitting SS has been part of many a great team. Lay the blame on Cozart? Are you kidding? No power from LF. No power against lefty pitching from practically anyone. Except for brief stretches the catcher spot has been abysmal all year. But lets lay the blame on the SS. And the 3B is who actually a bit above the league average. The offense is dysfunctional because the parts aren't well meshed - out of balance - but Cozart is not the problem. Frazier really isn't either. And neither is defensively.
    Frazier is above league average? What are you smoking, Jake? Out of 29 listed 3rd basemen, Frazier is listed 21 in BA. Out of 10 who qualify for awards etc., he is 9th out of 10 National leaguers. Above average? Come on. Let's call things as they are. Cozart and Frazier are a huge part of the problem.
    Last edited by armybrat45103; 08-01-2013 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by armybrat45103 View Post
    Frazier is above league average? What are you smoking, Jake? Out of 29 listed 3rd basemen, Frazier is listed 21 in BA. Out of 10 who qualify for awards etc., he is 9th out of 10 National leaguers. Above average? Come on. Let's call things as they are. Cozart and Frazier are a huge part of the problem.
    You gotta lose that fixation on BA. Try OPS and SP for a change.

I went to the Reds vs Braves game in Atlanta just before the All Star game. I played alot of baseball in my life and the big thing that jumped out at me about the Reds is that they have very bad body language. No hustle, lots of walking on and off the field, very lethargic, etc. I'm not saying that they aren't trying but they need to pick it up a bit and this starts with the manager. Someone needs to light a fire under these guys and Dusty Baker needs to lead the way. Dusty is a laid back individual himself and his team is reflecting his personality. It seems very evident that this team lacks leadership - both with the players and managers!

13. Likes:

remdog (08-08-2013)

Frazier is more of a 'platoon' guy...heck that's what he was in Louisville, honestly.
    "I had a cigar in my back pocket...I didn't wanna break it." - Bartholomew "Bump" Bailey

Turn Off Ads?