Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indy Suggestions?

Indy Suggestions?

I'm heading to Indy on thursday, doing the children's museum on thursday, staying downtown at the union terminal hotel (can't recall the name, I've read mostly mixed reviews, but we get to sleep in a train car, which my 5 year old will love and is the reason for the trip, so we'll see on the hotel) then heading to the zoo on friday.

Looking for advice suggestions on places to eat. We'll have the 5 year old with us, as well as our 1 year old daughter, so no matter how much I want to eat at St Elmo's steak house, its simply not an option w/ kids that age. Would prefer to eat somewhere by the hotel thrusday evening (its by Lucas Oil Stadium) and perhaps a late lunch after the zoo on friday.

If anyone has advice on food, or perhaps other suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Med

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Indy Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    I'm heading to Indy on thursday, doing the children's museum on thursday, staying downtown at the union terminal hotel (can't recall the name, I've read mostly mixed reviews, but we get to sleep in a train car, which my 5 year old will love and is the reason for the trip, so we'll see on the hotel) then heading to the zoo on friday.

Looking for advice suggestions on places to eat. We'll have the 5 year old with us, as well as our 1 year old daughter, so no matter how much I want to eat at St Elmo's steak house, its simply not an option w/ kids that age. Would prefer to eat somewhere by the hotel thrusday evening (its by Lucas Oil Stadium) and perhaps a late lunch after the zoo on friday.

Thanks,
    Med
    Google these

Shapiros
    Acapulco Joe's
    The Rathskeller
    Milano Inn
    Iaria's

Shapiro's and Acapulco Joe's are probally the best place to take the kids but the others are ok also.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

thanks sparky, I'll look at those. There appears to be a mall w/ a number of dinning options a little north of the hotel, which would be ideal if we could walk/push the stroller there. I'm guessing most of the places are more chain type restaurants though.

thanks sparky, I'll look at those. There appears to be a mall w/ a number of dinning options a little north of the hotel, which would be ideal if we could walk/push the stroller there. I'm guessing most of the places are more chain type restaurants though.
    Plenty of chain type places downtown. There is a Colts theme restaurant near Victory Field. I havent tried it but you might check it out.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I'd like to skip out on a chain (at least a chain that I can get at home any old day) and find something local, appreciate the recs, the mexican place sounded like a possibility.

I'd like to skip out on a chain (at least a chain that I can get at home any old day) and find something local, appreciate the recs, the mexican place sounded like a possibility.
    Acapulco Joe's is good.

Shapiro's is a really good deli. You can get in and out real easy and is perfect for kids.

Other than that I am kinda scratching my head for real family friendly places downtown. You could always look at the City Market or Circle Center Mall but the mall has mostly chains.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Acapulco Joe's is good.

Shapiro's is a really good deli. You can get in and out real easy and is perfect for kids.

Other than that I am kinda scratching my head for real family friendly places downtown. You could always look at the City Market or Circle Center Mall but the mall has mostly chains.
    I haven't been back home in a couple years but isn't there a good local pizza place in Irvington now? Not too far from downtown, I can't remember the name though.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Jockamo Upper Crust Pizza
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Dunaways steak house is great.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Plenty of chain type places downtown. There is a Colts theme restaurant near Victory Field. I havent tried it but you might check it out.
    I live in Indy, and your probably referring to the Colts Grille, fantastic food at a great price. I know we may have the Pirates AAA affiliate, but the Indy Indians @ Victory Field offers great baseball at great prices, watched McCutchen hit many a home run out of The Vic. Hot Box Pizza downtown is absolutely fabulous also The Ram Restraunt and Microbrewey is great.
    Also check out The Indianapolis Museum of Art, some great things there.
    And This One Belongs To The Reds

Thanks,
    Med
    There are a couple of places downtown that should be kid friendly enough. Colts Grille & Weber Grille are probably the two best bets.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Jockamo Upper Crust Pizza
    Yes! That place is great.

George Anderson's recommendations are solid. Definitely would second Shapiro's and The Rathskeller (although Rathskeller may not be kids friendly). I might also throw out Punch Burger as well. It's newer, but great burgers. Cafe Patachou is great too. I also like Yatz too (Cajun/Creole). A trip to Long's Bakery if you want Indy's best donuts is worthwhile too.

Please tell my girl Ann I said "hello"
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Yes! That place is great.

George Anderson's recommendations are solid. Definitely would second Shapiro's and The Rathskeller (although Rathskeller may not be kids friendly). I might also throw out Punch Burger as well. It's newer, but great burgers. Cafe Patachou is great too. I also like Yatz too (Cajun/Creole). A trip to Long's Bakery if you want Indy's best donuts is worthwhile too.
    Good call on Yats, that place rocks.

It would be a good place for kids to.
    Last edited by George Anderson; 07-31-2013 at 08:22 PM.

Iaria's is great and inexpensive. Shapiro's has a humongous parking lot, the portions are almost as big, but it's a little pricey. Just south of Shapiro's on Meridian Street is Greek Islands, which is very good. Milano Inn is good and has adequate parking. There are tons of chain restaurants around Circle Centre Mall: P. F. Chang, Noodles and Company, Palomino, Rock Bottom, Weber Grill, etc. The food court at the mall has a Johnny Rockets and several other cheap sources of nourishment. It's located on the 3rd floor at the north end of the mall.

Turn Off Ads?