Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Leake: Always giving up early runs

Leake: Always giving up early runs

Mike Leake -- the little boy of a pitcher in a man's sport -- starts the season by giving up another early-innings dinger and spotting his opponents two runs. Time and time again, this guy forces the Reds to play from behind, and here we go again.

Every time Leake makes a start, I'll be thinking: "If only this were Chapman".

Welcome to 2013.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Leake: Always giving up early runs

I would send him down..and make him a Second baseman. I don't think his "Stuff is good enough for majors. But I like his bat. Make him into a infielder.

There goes another two-run dinger from Leake. The Reds should just send him down, pencil in W's for 2/3 of the scheduled Leake games and save the wear and tear on the team.

Why make major league fans sit through his painful minor league development in major league parks? I love a good minor league game as much as the next guy, and like to see young players develop, but not when we're paying premium prices for major league tickets and broadcast subscriptions.

Hell, I can walk to the mound and lose 2/3 of my games (even more)

I don't like how the Reds letting him develop in the majors...with his stuff he must have Pin point accuracy. He can't afford to leave anything over the plate at all..I think Jocketty regrets that first round pick..to be honest thats why he wanted to cover it up with Chapman. They're willing to let Leake go through growing pains but not Mez..I just don't get it

Leake may make a major league pitcher someday, but he sure isn't ready yet. Thank God his day is over now. What a momentum killer he is, especially after last night's 15-0 Reds blowout over the same Washington team.

I've had an MLB subscription for my AppleTV and iPad since 2010 and watch a lot of games. However, I don't think I'm going to be able to watch many Leake games this season. It's just too painful to watch his lackluster, cringe-inducing efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by HDBoy View Post
    Mike Leake -- the little boy of a pitcher in a man's sport -- starts the season by giving up another early-innings dinger and spotting his opponents two runs. Time and time again, this guy forces the Reds to play from behind, and here we go again.

Every time Leake makes a start, I'll be thinking: "If only this were Chapman".

Welcome to 2013.
    Quoted for truth. Every time Leake takes the mound his performance will be measured against what people think Chapman would have given them. Leake is in a no-win situation. If Leake pitches well, that's nothing that Chapman wouldn't have done. If Leake gets roughed up, Chapman would have done better.
    Last edited by texasdave; 04-06-2013 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Quoted for truth. Every time Leake takes the mound his performance will be measured against what people think Chapman would have given them. Leake is in a no-win situation. If Leake pitches well, that's nothing that Chapman wouldn't have done. If Leake gets roughed up, Chapman would have done better.
    Think of it this way. Every time Chapman gets a big save, consider that it could have been Leake out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Think of it this way. Every time Chapman gets a big save, consider that it could have been Leake out there.
    Of course, we all know Leake would not have been out there. So that was pretty much a pointless suggestion. They would have not simply exchanged roles. But, whatever.

Leake has a career 3.45 ERA in innings 1-3.

11. Likes:

tomnuetten (04-06-2013)

he is just a below average pitcher and people need to stop getting their hopes up with him. Be happy we have very good 1-4 pitchers

Final: Washington 7, Reds 6. Damn. Together, Leake and Baker snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Why wasn't Chapman still pitching in the 11th? Why was JJ Hoover in again? Surely Chapman can do two innings in a tight game that would have ensured a series win. I know the Reds want to closely watch Chapman's innings, but this quick pitching change is a little extreme under these game and bullpen circumstances. If he can't do an occasional, two-inning stint, why is Chapman even the closer?

Also, apparently, 44 of the Reds' 97 victories in 2012 were come-from-behind wins. I wonder how many of those were Leake starts?

A crappy job, Baker and Leake.

Leake being Leake....not sure why this surprises anyone.

Leake pitched well enough today to win, Dusty left him in too long, he was near 100 pitches when he allowed the second homer.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by HDBoy View Post
    Why wasn't Chapman still pitching in the 11th? Why was JJ Hoover in again? Surely Chapman can do two innings in a tight game that would have ensured a series win. I know the Reds want to closely watch Chapman's innings, but this quick pitching change is a little extreme under these game and bullpen circumstances. If he can't do an occasional, two-inning stint, why is Chapman even the closer?

because they didnīt want chapman batting in the bottom of the 10, 2out and todd frazier in scoring position?!? a single would have ended the game, you donīt want your closer at bat...

Quote Originally Posted by Maker_84 View Post
    he is just a below average pitcher and people need to stop getting their hopes up with him. Be happy we have very good 1-4 pitchers

I agree... our #5 pitcher (who is 25 years old) had a worse outing than our #1-#4 ... surprising...

I donīt know if cingrani or everyone else we have at this moment could do any better. It was his first start of the season against one of the best teams in baseball and some guys want to send him down...

Turn Off Ads?