Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deep breath time, Redszone.

Re: Deep breath time, Redszone.

I think they of course care and in fact they all look like they're going bonkers internally. Frazier, Votto especially.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Looking at the schedule with an optimistic eye, if they just play well enough to win the series against the bad teams and then start picking up some payback series vs the Cards, Rats, and the returning west coast teams, they could still push 95 wins. But they have to stay healthy and return 2 of the 4 who are missing.

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire123 View Post
    Hubby keeps saying there is something seriously wrong in the clubhouse for the team to be this lackadaisical towards offense. Thoughts on that idea?

There doesn't seem to be any fire or drive to this team lately, like they just don't really care....
    Of course they care, and no one cares more than their best hitters, Choo and Votto. But you can tell they are exhausted from trying to carry this offense on their backs. Baseball requires concentration, concentration requires lots of energy, even if it doesn't "look" overly physical.

Votto and Choo, with the occasional white hot week or two from Bruce, have no backup. So it all looks in disarray.

Hubby keeps saying there is something seriously wrong in the clubhouse for the team to be this lackadaisical towards offense. Thoughts on that idea?

There doesn't seem to be any fire or drive to this team lately, like they just don't really care....
    I think that may be where Luddy has his biggest impact...even if the shoulder is weak (and by the few statements I saw, he was hitting balls pretty hard in BP before his rehab started, granted, its BP and he's currently 2-12 in rehab), but his clubhouse presence was one of the keys to last season, something I think the team needs. May not fix all ills, but I see a good run coming in August/September.

Everyone looks lackadaisical walking back to the bench after a strikeout.

7. Likes:

KittyDuran (07-31-2013),mth123 (07-31-2013),RedEye (08-01-2013),remdog (07-31-2013),vaticanplum (07-31-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Of course they care, and no one cares more than their best hitters, Choo and Votto. But you can tell they are exhausted from trying to carry this offense on their backs. Baseball requires concentration, concentration requires lots of energy, even if it doesn't "look" overly physical.

Votto and Choo, with the occasional white hot week or two from Bruce, have no backup. So it all looks in disarray.
    Yep, relying too much on 3 guys to carry your team offensively (and only two of the 4 bats they do have consistently get on base or hit at any particular period of time)...has to be draining over a season's time...let alone 3, 4, 5 seasons now, while your GM constantly relies on 35-36 yr old, declining and broken-down vets to play 3B and LF.

I almost hope they drop out of the race so that they can make some trades and re-tool for next season, as there's just no way this team goes anywhere again in the post season, they are no different ultimately than they were the last two trips.

That said, I don't really "want" to see that, but, it wouldn't be so bad either, this team is still broken and incomplete, and I've lost patience with Dusty and Jocketty after just doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    Yep, relying too much on 3 guys to carry your team offensively (and only two of the 4 bats they do have consistently get on base or hit at any particular period of time)...has to be draining over a season's time...let alone 3, 4, 5 seasons now, while your GM constantly relies on 35-36 yr old, declining and broken-down vets to play 3B and LF.

I almost hope they drop out of the race so that they can make some trades and re-tool for next season, as there's just no way this team goes anywhere again in the post season, they are no different ultimately than they were the last two trips.

That said, I don't really "want" to see that, but, it wouldn't be so bad either, this team is still broken and incomplete, and I've lost patience with Dusty and Jocketty after just doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    If this team makes it past the 1 game wild card, it's crazy to say they can't win it all. Maybe not likely, but we have the pitching necessary.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Hmmm, I thought this was supposed to be the "get off the ledge" and "try to be positive" thread but I guess we can't even have one of those on the board right now. Back to lurking...
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

11. Likes:

Big Klu (08-01-2013)

Bullox

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    Everyone looks lackadaisical walking back to the bench after a strikeout.
    I always sprint back to my seat from the fridge though. Why can't the players be more like me?!

14. Likes:

Gapper (08-02-2013),remdog (08-10-2013),RFS62 (08-10-2013)

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

We're looking at the second wildcard at best.
    Do we have your permission to hold you to this?
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

They'll be fine. I'm concerned about playoffs......but they will make it with little problem.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Time to revisit the op's point of this thread: You know, to remain positive.

Our favorite team took care of business -- while the Cards and Pirates both stumbled -- and now are in a much more favorable position than one week ago -- with even more favorable matchups on the horizon. The divisional title that was thought to be out of reach to some not that long ago seems more plausible by the day.

It's a great time to be a Reds fan!
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Just take it one game at a time and one series at a time.

One game is out of the way in the current series, with chances to both win the series and sweep the series.

There's still time to do enough winning for the season that the big picture will take care of itself.
    /r/reds

Turn Off Ads?