Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This team needs a shake up...

This team needs a shake up...

I, for the life of me, cannot figure out how Brook Jacoby has kept his job. While I don't blame all of this offensive inconsistency on a guy that doesn't take a swing in a game...I don't understand why we can't seem to hit with runners in scoring position. I mean easily should have had 6-7 runs in the game tonight.

I believe Dusty proclaimed that hitting with RISP could be taught...well it's been 3 years since he uttered those words and nothing has changed. Poor approaches, too many strike outs, too many unproductive outs, and while it's off subject...this team is terrible on the base paths.

This team needs a shake up. I don't see guys playing with any sense of urgency. Had a chance to make up at least two games in the standings and we can't even average a run a game in the last 4 games.

2. Likes:

joshua (07-30-2013),malcontent (07-30-2013),Redsfansince72 (07-30-2013),remdog (07-31-2013),toledodan (07-30-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: This team needs a shake up...

It seems beating the Giants 6 games to 1 was all they seem to wanted to do for loosing the playoffs last year to them.. they played like a 1st place team against the Giants. everybody else, they have ZERO fire.. and No accountability on the coaching staff either

5. Likes:

Pacman Fever (07-30-2013),remdog (07-31-2013),toledodan (07-30-2013)

I've wanted Jacoby gone for awhile. He was a free swinger and that's what this Reds team is. Some players may not be really MLB starting talent (Frazier, Cozart) Definitely need better bats if we want to contend though.

7. Likes:

joshua (07-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Jmiller21kg View Post
    I've wanted Jacoby gone for awhile. He was a free swinger and that's what this Reds team is. Some players may not be really MLB starting talent (Frazier, Cozart) Definitely need better bats if we want to contend though.
    I doubt getting rid of a hitting coach is going to make these guys all of a sudden approach the at-bat differently. They are who they are at this point. One more consistent bat would be nice and maybe we get that with Ludwick.

The Reds do lead the NL in walks and are 4th in strikeouts...3rd in the NL in runs...I think last night was a night of missed opportunities and can't happen again.

CEO - Hal Morris Fanclub OC_Red's Avatar

I'm curious to know just how much instruction comes straight from Dusty himself...he was talking in a pregame recently about how he keeps telling Frazier he needs to "get the bat head out there" and "attack"....sounds a lot like the approach of everyone not named Votto, Choo or (sometimes) Bruce for this entire season...

coincidence, or causation?

10. Likes:

joshua (07-31-2013)

[QUOTE=OC_Red;2924568]I'm curious to know just how much instruction comes straight from Dusty himself...he was talking in a pregame recently about how he keeps telling Frazier he needs to "get the bat head out there" and "attack"....sounds a lot like the approach of everyone not named Votto, Choo or (sometimes) Bruce for this entire season...

I firmly believe the reaseon Votto does as well as he does is, because of the book by Ted Williams, which is his constant companion Maybe, if Frazier and Cozart followed suit instead of listening to Baker the Division title wouldn't be
    up in the air, let alone the Series.

12. Likes:

joshua (07-31-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by OC_Red View Post
    I'm curious to know just how much instruction comes straight from Dusty himself...he was talking in a pregame recently about how he keeps telling Frazier he needs to "get the bat head out there" and "attack"....sounds a lot like the approach of everyone not named Votto, Choo or (sometimes) Bruce for this entire season...

so you ruled out 3 of 8... and the complaint with cozart the entire first half was that he was too patient, so that's 4.

maybe the problem isn't that baker doesn't "give enough instruction" or "gives the wrong instructions" on how to hit, maybe it's that the hitters aren't hitting. funny how people are always desperate to find some underlying reason for a cold streak.

14. Likes:

dwyerbrg (07-30-2013)

I think we have to come to the belief that until Dusty/Jacoby are gone this team will never play to it's fullest potiential, thus there is only one thing to happen, they must lose out the rest of the season and hope Bob wakes up, anything else won't improve our situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmiller21kg View Post
    Not sure what people want out of Frazier. I think people have unrealistic expectations of what people want out of a third baseman in this era.

He is 12th in OPS among all MLB 3B.

Above names like Pablo Sandoval, David Freese and Chase Headley

Some of you may not accept it but he is having a better year then Brandon Phillips.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydeebee21 View Post
    Not sure what people want out of Frazier. I think people have unrealistic expectations of what people want out of a third baseman in this era.

Some of you may not accept it but he is having a better year then Brandon Phillips.
    RBIs man!

Quote Originally Posted by OC_Red View Post

During one of Choo's slumps, he talked about talking to Votto and Bruce about hitting. I've read about those three talking to each other a lot in interviews.

coincidence or causation?

Maybe Frazier can talk to those guys through a mirror or something.

Quote Originally Posted by dwyerbrg View Post
    RBIs man!
    81 of them!

After last night's debacle against yet another pitcher with a 5+ ERA, changes have to be made. Cozart is my sacrificial lamb after last night's base running blunders. Not only does his plate approach drive me crazy, but he's not been real steady at short on this road trip.

This team needs a spark. I know I will get crucified, but I'd move BHam back to short, put him on the major league roster and play him over Cozart. Yes, I know he's not hitting at AAA...Cozart is not hittting at the Major League Level. Yes, I know he might make an error every other game. Having this kind of speed on the major league roster, would take a tremendous load off our hitters. He has the kind of speed to score on a pop up to deep 2nd Base or in some cases a ground ball back to the mound. He can steal bases when he wants and this team can't "move 'em over" consistently.

It may not work, in fact, it may fail miserably. But, this lineup isn't working either and I don't see things changing. No one else in baseball has a weapon like we have sitting down at Louisville. The day he puts on a major league uniform, is the day he arguably becomes the fastest player to ever play in the major leagues. I've sat and watched every game on this road trip and last night after the 2nd base running blunder, I turned the channel. They are not fun to watch at all!

Quote Originally Posted by bha View Post
    After last night's debacle against yet another pitcher with a 5+ ERA, changes have to be made. Cozart is my sacrificial lamb after last night's base running blunders. Not only does his plate approach drive me crazy, but he's not been real steady at short on this road trip.

This team needs a spark. I know I will get crucified, but I'd move BHam back to short, put him on the major league roster and play him over Cozart. Yes, I know he's not hitting at AAA...Cozart is not hittting at the Major League Level. Yes, I know he might make an error every other game. Having this kind of speed on the major league roster, would take a tremendous load off our hitters. He has the kind of speed to score on a pop up to deep 2nd Base or in some cases a ground ball back to the mound. He can steal bases when he wants and this team can't "move 'em over" consistently.

It may not work, in fact, it may fail miserably. But, this lineup isn't working either and I don't see things changing. No one else in baseball has a weapon like we have sitting down at Louisville. The day he puts on a major league uniform, is the day he arguably becomes the fastest player to ever play in the major leagues. I've sat and watched every game on this road trip and last night after the 2nd base running blunder, I turned the channel. They are not fun to watch at all!
    Frazier is much more responsible for last nights loss than Cozart. Frazier has basically cost the Reds the last two games with his inability to get a guy home from third with less than two outs.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydeebee21 View Post

How about a batting average about .260? That would be nice. To me, that is the only stat that matters. You can dig forever and find a favorable stat for anyone. But in the end, how many times you hit a ball and get on is all that matters in baseball.

Turn Off Ads?