Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Marty calling out Votto

Re: Marty calling out Votto

Quote Originally Posted by bmwreds31 View Post
    hahaha i like this one. Barry bonds also use to....lol
    Fact is Bonds knew how to hit and was Hall Of Fame caliber, no matter if he was enhanced or not.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    This is the year

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    - makes claim

- asks others to look up stats because he is lazy

- proven wrong

- says people that looked up stats he asked for are acting like "gods of knowledge" and he is right even though he was proven wrong immediately.

Ok, makes sense...
    ok...
    i dont feed trolls very often so not really going to start now. Grats on looking up a stat.

This is the year

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Fact is Bonds knew how to hit and was Hall Of Fame caliber, no matter if he was enhanced or not.
    well i agree with you. However i dont believe too many would argue that bonds could clearly still jack one with ease choked up. And Votto has Warning track power when he is choked up.

Votto never pulls the ball anymore. Almost all of his homers are to left field.

This is the year

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Marty didn't play baseball more than I did. He certainly didn't play baseball more than some other guys on here who played in the minors and in college.

Marty is an experienced broadcaster. He has never worked on the baseball side of things. He has never coached. He never played the game for money. He never worked as a scout or in a front office. He is no more qualified as some sort of baseball expert than I am, or you are.
    Sorry but ill have to disagree. I wouldnt call him some baseball expert.

However at the same time. Im not sure who you really call a baseball expert. If you gathered every head coach from the majors that coached for more than 15yrs. They all would make different calls, and have different opinions on players.

ok...
    i dont feed trolls very often so not really going to start now. Grats on looking up a stat.
    You said you were lazy to look up the stats and asked others to do so.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Sorry but ill have to disagree. I wouldnt call him some baseball expert.

However at the same time. Im not sure who you really call a baseball expert. If you gathered every head coach from the majors that coached for more than 15yrs. They all would make different calls, and have different opinions on players.
    Why is Marty's opinion better than mine? Because he has watched more baseball?

Marty has watched more baseball than Joey Votto has. Who is a better expert on hitting?

Who I would call a baseball expert is a tough question. I think Joe Morgan would be a great guy to teach someone the mechanics of the game. How to hit. How to steal. How to field. I wouldn't want Joe Morgan managing a team or telling someone about the value of a player because he is clueless when it comes to things like that. He is an expert in one field and pretty darn poor at another.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Votto never pulls the ball anymore. Almost all of his homers are to left field.
    Joey Votto hasn't pulled the ball with any kind of frequency since he was a teenager.

This is the year

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Joey Votto hasn't pulled the ball with any kind of frequency since he was a teenager.

He pulled the ball more his MVP season. And struck out less.

How about this, name a playoff team this year that their 3 and 4 hole hitters have less than us. Im too lazy to look it up but im doubting it.
    I'll play this game. Reds have 30 (Votto 17, BP 13). Here are what some playoff teams are trotting out in their 3 and 4 holes this evening.

Atlanta Braves 29

Freddie Freeman 13
    Brian McCann 16

Oakland Athletics 25

Jed Lowrie 8
    Yoenis Cespedes 17

Tampa Bay Rays 29

Evan Longoria 21
    Wil Myers 8

Boston Red Sox 29

Dustin Pedroia 8
    David Ortiz 21

LA Dodgers 26

Adrian Gonzalez 15
    Yasiel Puig 11

11. Likes:

OC_Red (08-06-2013)

Still....7th in the NL in slugging percentage.

CEO - Hal Morris Fanclub OC_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Still....7th in the NL in slugging percentage.
    Stop using them there advanced SABER statistics...

*dripping sarcasm*

In all seriousness, this discussion wouldn't be happening if the SS, LF, C, and yes even the 2B would actually pull their weight in the box.

Joey Votto is not the issue, nor is his HR total.

14. Likes:

reds1869 (08-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by junkhead View Post
    Actually, Votto's stats with 2 strikes in this year are worse than those in 2012.

`12: .256 .394 .390 .784
    `13: .186 .300 .238 .538
    I guess it was last year's stats that were impressive. I don't know if it is a change in approach or not. It does seem like with two strikes that Votto has a lot of defensive swings this year where he looks like he is just trying to foul it off.

Joey now second in the NL in Ops (.951). However, he did fall to 8th in SLG (.512) behind David Wright's .512.

I'm not sure Votto's hitting, good or bad, really factored in to the recent STL series. However, against MIL, SD and a couple other series last month he did kind of blow it w/RISP in critical moments. Having said that, there are other guys on the team and the Reds probably could do a little better than 1 run in 40 innings or whatever it was.
    "I had a cigar in my back pocket...I didn't wanna break it." - Bartholomew "Bump" Bailey

Baseball is a game if failure, methinks some posting here don't get that aspect of the game as astutely as they should

Turn Off Ads?