Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Marty calling out Votto

Re: Marty calling out Votto

It really seems like people expect Votto to hit 100 home runs, have 300 RBI and slide 20 feet in a split second to stop every ground ball.

2. Likes:

Larkin Fan (08-07-2013),RedsBaron (08-07-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    This is the year

Quote Originally Posted by OC_Red View Post
    Stop using them there advanced SABER statistics...

*dripping sarcasm*

In all seriousness, this discussion wouldn't be happening if the SS, LF, C, and yes even the 2B would actually pull their weight in the box.

Joey Votto is not the issue, nor is his HR total.
    I completely agree. This thread was just discussing votto specifically. I however do not think at all that he is "The problem" Or really even a problem. Im just really, disappointed with his change of approach at the plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    I guess it was last year's stats that were impressive. I don't know if it is a change in approach or not. It does seem like with two strikes that Votto has a lot of defensive swings this year where he looks like he is just trying to foul it off.
    exactly. I liked to see him pull a base hit through the right side of the infield last night though. But of course he only had one strike at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    It really seems like people expect Votto to hit 100 home runs, have 300 RBI and slide 20 feet in a split second to stop every ground ball.
    not at all.

And to the guy that listed all the teams HR stats in 3-4 hole. Thank you. Frankly im very surprised. However i dont think any of those ball parks are anywhere near as HR friendly as GABP.

A very interesting stat to know in this discussion. Unfortunately i have no idea how to look it up though. Oh god im lazy again. Is what the 3-4 hole for both teams HR total is. Only at GABP this year.

Moving goalposts, the best of both worlds

Quote Originally Posted by bmwreds31 View Post
    I completely agree. This thread was just discussing votto specifically. I however do not think at all that he is "The problem" Or really even a problem. Im just really, disappointed with his change of approach at the plate.

exactly. I liked to see him pull a base hit through the right side of the infield last night though. But of course he only had one strike at that time.

not at all.

And to the guy that listed all the teams HR stats in 3-4 hole. Thank you. Frankly im very surprised. However i dont think any of those ball parks are anywhere near as HR friendly as GABP.

A very interesting stat to know in this discussion. Unfortunately i have no idea how to look it up though. Oh god im lazy again. Is what the 3-4 hole for both teams HR total is. Only at GABP this year.

I'm curious why you keep ignoring:

Joey Votto 7th in the NL in slugging percentage (tied with David Wright)

Votto should be faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive and able to leap tall buildings in a single bound....
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Votto should be faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive and able to leap tall buildings in a single bound....
    Canadians don't show off

Too many holes in this line up right now. Votto should not be the main recipient of blame here. We are all hoping that things get better upon Ludwick's return.

10. Likes:

Tom Servo (08-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    Have said many times this year he's the perfect 2 hole man for this particular team as presently constructed. Why is this not an option?
    Votto bats 3rd, dude. It's in the book.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I'm curious why you keep ignoring:

Joey Votto 7th in the NL in slugging percentage (tied with David Wright)
    This. And I'm also curious as to why he is completely ignoring the fact that Votto's approach hasn't really changed since his 2010 MVP season. In fact, what has actually changed is the way that opposing teams/pitchers approach and pitch to him when he's at the plate.

Salukifan2

Can it be that this frustration stems primarily from his huge contract and the fact that this is his age 29 season? Meaning this year and the next are going to most likely be his peak carear seasons and if he is only .950 ops player (only? I know that sounds weird when we are talking about .950 ops) now what will he be in 10 years when he is making 26-28 million?

The reds weren't counting on him just being really good when they gave him that kind of money. They were expecting him to be prolific. We are talking about the 4th richest contract in MLB history.

Votto certainly isn't the reason the reds are in third but I understand some of the frustration reds fans have

Quote Originally Posted by Salukifan2 View Post
    Can it be that this frustration stems primarily from his huge contract and the fact that this is his age 29 season? Meaning this year and the next are going to most likely be his peak carear seasons and if he is only .950 ops player (only? I know that sounds weird when we are talking about .950 ops) now what will he be in 10 years when he is making 26-28 million?

The reds weren't counting on him just being really good when they gave him that kind of money. They were expecting him to be prolific. We are talking about the 4th richest contract in MLB history.

Votto certainly isn't the reason the reds are in third but I understand some of the frustration reds fans have
    The Reds have only had 13 guys ever with a .950 OPS in a season.

Nah, pretty sure the ridiculous frustration stems from Reds fans thinking way too highly of RBI, but thanks for chiming in. A .950 OPS over a season is prolific, as westofyou said, it has happened 13 times in the history of the oldest professional franchise in baseball history.

There is exactly one (1) player in the NL with a higher OPS than Joey.

Numbers are down all over but Joey's ops is right at his career norm.

This is not a Joey Votto problem.

Nah, pretty sure the ridiculous frustration stems from Reds fans thinking way too highly of RBI, but thanks for chiming in. A .950 OPS over a season is prolific, as westofyou said, it has happened 13 times in the history of the oldest professional franchise in baseball history.
    Well 20 times... by 13 players (Klu 53-55) Votto twice, Robby a mess (Hey he's old let's trade him... which was decision made when Deron Johnson drove in 135 runs in 1965 and DeWitt thought he'd pick up the slack (he did not))

Quote Originally Posted by bmwreds31 View Post
    You guys can act all you want like your the gods of knowledge when it comes to baseball.
    So who are the gods of RedsZone?
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?