Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: UC Football 2013 ("The Afterthought Athletic Conference")

Re: UC Football 2013 ("The Afterthought Athletic Conference")

2. Likes:

KYRedsFan (12-09-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

UC's play calls in the red zone were very odd.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Was pulling big for UC, but Bridgewater pulled it out down the stretch with a couple of ridiculous plays. Fun game to watch in the last quarter.

Needed to go for the TD at the end of regulation. Didn't like a couple of the calls on the last UC drive. Would have preferred a run on 1st down to eat clock + the way they were controlling the line.
    No reason for Tommy to call those trick plays there at the end of regulation. They had Louisville on the run. Go for the heart and score a TD. Throw it vertically. Some think TT's gadget plays are a positive to his coaching methods. I disagree

"So Fla Red"

UC and OSU had some odd playcalling sequences this weekend. OSU ran Hyde 4 times after getting a 24-17 lead. Insanity.

Cincy had Louisville on the run and the last series let them off the hook.

What's UC look like for 2014? That OSU/UC game should be a good one.

UC/UNC is a pretty attrctive bowl game for the Bearcats, I think. UNC had been playing very well until their last game against Duke, so I would expect this to be a pretty tough, entertaining affair.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    UC/UNC is a pretty attrctive bowl game for the Bearcats, I think. UNC had been playing very well until their last game against Duke, so I would expect this to be a pretty tough, entertaining affair.
    I'm disappointed. After shooting for a BCS Bowl up until the last seconds on Thursday night, to end up at the same Bowl as last year is a downer. I'd like to think that UC improved this year but their prize at the end of the year doesn't show that.

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I'm disappointed. After shooting for a BCS Bowl up until the last seconds on Thursday night, to end up at the same Bowl as last year is a downer. I'd like to think that UC improved this year but their prize at the end of the year doesn't show that.
    And another Bowl Season with a road game in the opponents home state. UC probably feels like a B1G team now.

UC should beat UNC this season.

And another Bowl Season with a road game in the opponents home state. UC probably feels like a B1G team now.

UC should beat UNC this season.
    As a UC fan, I'd like to play a ranked team or at the very least, a team that received a vote or mention of any kind in the AP poll:

http://collegefootball.ap.org/poll

I do think UC has a challenge on its hands playing UNC in Charlotte but the polls won't see it that way. They'd get a lot more bang from a strength of schedule standpoint if they'd face a top 25 team.

"So Fla Red"

UC is one of the most fun teams in the county to watch play. Love that they are on the map in CFB. Growing up there I always had a soft spot for UC football even through some gawd-awful decades.

Tell your AD and President to get into the Big 12.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    It's an attractive game, but I think they're going to have a tough time convincing their core traveling fans to take another trip to the same destination.

I suspect they're going to eat a lot of their required ticket allotment on this one.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

What's UC look like for 2014? That OSU/UC game should be a good one.
    There are a lot of question marks IMHO. Quarterback is the biggest one. Although they'll have two highly regarded sophomores on the roster, Coney has been underwhelming in limited appearances. And although Kiel was the top QB recruit in the country, he has no in-game experience. There's a change their starting QB from this season could be back if rehab is on schedule and if he's granted another season. But even if the team has Legeaux, his experience is almost offset by his uninspiring play.

At running back, UC used three different backs: Abernathy, Williams, and Green. Although each showed promise, no one really took the reigns. To further complicate things, it seemed like the coaching staff didn't know how to use what it had. Abernathy is a small, quick back in the Darren Sproles mold, but the staff continually ran him between the tackles all season. Green is a big, physical back that, IMHO, didn't see enough playing time. If the parts are used properly, this could be a position of strength. If not, it won't be the worst thing in the world if they match this year's production.

O-Line is a position of strength this year (although the injury bug hit hard). It should be as well next year, but they're losing some talent. Bujnoch is a big departure and an anchor on the line.

WR is as deep as its ever been, especially in the slot. Shaq Washington runs perfect routes and has a knack for getting open. On the outside, if Mekale McKay continues to progress, he could be a dangerous target. He had a solid year even though his hardship transfer from Arkansas kept him out of spring practice. At 6'6 with plenty of speed, he could be an absolute beast.

D-Line was a pleasant surprise this season. They'll lose two starters inside in Jordan Stepp and Adam Dempsey, but Mouhon and Harrah showed a ton of promise. I'm worried DT will be thin.

Although they'll lose arguably their best LB in Greg Blair, this will still be a position of strength next year with Luc and Temple back in the fold. It will be interesting to see the impact of Luc moving back to his natural position at MLB.

The secondary is still an area of concern IMHO. Zach Edwards probably had the best year of anyone in this group as a true freshman. They held their own, but largely against poor competition.

Special teams is on life support. John Lloyd has been acceptable at punter, but when the QB gets half as many punts as the punter, you know what you're dealing with. UC cannot and will not see any measure of success next season if it doesn't find a quick solution at kicker. Miliano was a nightmare this season, as he made only 6 of 15 kicks. Yes, you read that right.

As you look to next season, a lot of the team's success will come down to coaching. I think it's a great test for Tuberville. If the coaches maximize the parts they have (for example, by going spread instead of pro-style), they have a chance at a decent season. At best, I think they can hope for a 2-2 record out of conference (L-the U; L-OSU; W-Toledo; W-Miami). That means in order to have any shot at another 9 or 10 win season, they'll have to be perfect or near perfect in conference. They can do it, but that means no head scratching losses like USF. Given the questions at QB especially, I'm skeptical. But I think there's an opportunity for a decent season.

I'm excited to see OSU on the schedule, even if we have little chance to win. I wish it happened more often.

**one factor I forgot to list - Nippert will be shut down next year for renovations. I don't expect much of a home field advantage at Paul Brown Stadium.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

14. Likes:

Boss-Hog (12-09-2013)

Turn Off Ads?