Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: NFL 2014

Re: NFL 2013

Denver kicker, Matt Prater, just booted an NFL-record field goal from 64 yards. Nice.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    "So Fla Red"

With all the injuries around the league, I really think the league should expand the rosters to 55 or 57. Crazy the amount of serious injuries some teams (Bengals defense, Pats, etc.) are racking up this season.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Denver kicker, Matt Prater, just booted an NFL-record field goal from 64 yards. Nice.
    Really amazing to me that this record has stood for so long. Think of how athletes have gotten stronger and faster since Tom Dempsey yet that 63 yard record didn't budge until now. I can't figure out why

"So Fla Red"

Agree it has been a long standing record given the many times NFL teamc sould try a nothing to lose 64+ yd field goal at the end of a game. Hasn't it been tied a few times in the last several years?

Also remember the Iron Bowl finish. Didn't Ed Reed run one back 109 yds on a Monday night game in Denver? That's a factor too in any tie game.

6. Likes:

Chip R (12-09-2013)

Dallas getting steamrolled. I love it. The only NFL franchise I dislike more is Pittsburgh.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Really amazing to me that this record has stood for so long. Think of how athletes have gotten stronger and faster since Tom Dempsey yet that 63 yard record didn't budge until now. I can't figure out why
    I think when the soccer-style kicker era began, it ended any possibility of the record ever being broken, or extended by much if it did get broken. Also, Tom Dempsey wasn't exactly kicking with a normal foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It's not like coaches are going to have their kickers try a 64 yarder in the middle of the 3rd quarter. Now days if you miss and the other team doesn't return it, the defense gets the ball at the spot of the kick. So if you miss, you are giving them the ball at your own 46. The only time this is going to be tried is at the end of each half. How many times are you going to have the ball on your own 46 with a few seconds left and if it's in the 2nd half, you are going to be tied or down by 1, 2 or 3? If you actually try one that long, you're also risking a block or a return. Even if you did get into that situation you have to have a kicker with the kind of leg to do that. It has to be a perfect storm for the situation to even occur.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Did anyone catch the end of the Vikings-Ravens game? 42 total points were scored in the 4th quarter, including FIVE touchdowns in the final 2:05. Just an insane, video game style ending.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

This Packers Cowboys game is pretty bananas
    Witty signature.

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    This Packers Cowboys game is pretty bananas
    Epic collapse by Dallas.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

13. Likes:

New York Red (12-15-2013)

LOL at the Cowboys. You have the lead and the ball with 4:00 left and are averaging 7.5 yards per carry, so you throw the ball over and over. I don't know if that's on Garrett or Romo but I loved it. It'd be tough to stupid away a game more than they did.

Just an FYI, Eli Manning has virtually the same career QB rating as Neil O'Donnell and some folks still think he's a HOF.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

This was a cool story.

The Dolphins picked up Michael Thomas, an undrafted safety, off of San Francisco's practice squad (where he'd spent the last 2 seasons). He didn't even arrive in Miami until mid-week, and only got 2 practices with the team. He didn't even know the majority of the playbook, as they just planned on using him on special teams.

Then, due to multiple injuries in the Miami secondary, he is forced onto the field in his first ever NFL game. And he makes not one, but two game saving plays on the final drive vs. Tom Brady, including an interception on the last play of the game.

I read posts from Patriot fans making fun of the Thomas for crying on the field after the game, but I'm not sure I can blame the guy. It is a cool story that sort of gets lost in the shuffle.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

17. Likes:

Chip R (12-16-2013),HeatherC1212 (12-16-2013),New York Red (12-16-2013),RedFanAlways1966 (12-16-2013),Revering4Blue (12-16-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    This was a cool story.

The Dolphins picked up Michael Thomas, an undrafted safety, off of San Francisco's practice squad (where he'd spent the last 2 seasons). He didn't even arrive in Miami until mid-week, and only got 2 practices with the team. He didn't even know the majority of the playbook, as they just planned on using him on special teams.

Then, due to multiple injuries in the Miami secondary, he is forced onto the field in his first ever NFL game. And he makes not one, but two game saving plays on the final drive vs. Tom Brady, including an interception on the last play of the game.

I read posts from Patriot fans making fun of the Thomas for crying on the field after the game, but I'm not sure I can blame the guy. It is a cool story that sort of gets lost in the shuffle.
    I LOVE stories like this. Thanks for posting it.

Gotta hand it to the schedule makers.

In the 4 divisions where the top-2 teams are a game apart...3 of those pairs play in the final game of the year. The other (NO/Car) plays in week 16.

20. Likes:

New York Red (12-17-2013)

Turn Off Ads?