Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: NFL 2014

Re: NFL 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Just an FYI, Eli Manning has virtually the same career QB rating as Neil O'Donnell and some folks still think he's a HOF.
    As a New York Giants fan I could make both sides of that argument.

As someone who was watched every snap of Eli's career I am, personally, on the "no" side of the argument.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    As a New York Giants fan I could make both sides of that argument.

As someone who was watched every snap of Eli's career I am, personally, on the "no" side of the argument.
    Eli Manning makes me appreciate the entirety of one's career rather than 1 game or 2. Give me someone like Dan Marino all day instead of Elijah. (Heck, even his first Super Bowl win he was very average.) 2nd one, he was barely considered 'good.'

The NFL may do away with extra point kicks. I wouldn't mind this. I'd also like to see the goalposts narrowed.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...pats-abolished
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    The NFL may do away with extra point kicks. I wouldn't mind this. I'd also like to see the goalposts narrowed.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...pats-abolished
    Bleh. CANNOT WAIT for Goodell to screw off forever.

The kicks are barely missed? can say the same thing about all kicks under 40 yards, what a silly idea.
    Go Gators!

7. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-21-2014),Wonderful Monds (01-21-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    The kicks are barely missed? can say the same thing about all kicks under 40 yards, what a silly idea.
    The NFL wants to make the game safer so they are taking one of the least violent plays in the game and making it much much more violent?

Just had a crazy dream that the Packers went out and signed Peppers! If only it were true. Pinch me. Lets start the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Just had a crazy dream that the Packers went out and signed Peppers! If only it were true. Pinch me. Lets start the season.
    Peppers career was over before last year began. Foolish signing by the Packers.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Peppers career was over before last year began. Foolish signing by the Packers.
    That's what they said the last time Mr Thompson made a signing like this. Fellow named Woodson. How'd that work out? TT does not do anything "foolish".

7 sacks last year. Not bad for a guy who's "career was over".

Still waiting for that PM from you.

I apologize for not doing the pm mutaman. I forgot what that was about. If you want, though, I could give you the evidence as to why Pepper's career was over before last year began. I root for the Packers all the time. I wish only good things for them. Rodgers has to be pissed for losing his Center to Tampa Bay. But, this was a strange move. The Packers don't do anything in Free Agency. They stay far away. So, for them to sign a "name", who only value is his name and not his play, it's a real head-scratcher. Not because they could know something I and the rest of the world don't know, but why they would overpay for a player who has lost his ability to pass-rush.

Seven sacks don't mean didly. You have to look at the context of those sacks and the other 858 plays he was on the field for. He ranked 28th out of 36 qualifying Defensive Ends in Pass Rushing. He also ranked 28th out of 36 qualifying Defensive Ends in Run Stopping. He did fine in Pass Coverage, but he only went back into coverage 22 out of those 865 plays he was on the field. He's going to switch from a 4-3 that he's played all his life to a 3-4. How is he going to do that? His job will be to hold his ground and eat up space so his Linebackers can make the plays. He's never been asked to do that before. He couldn't do anymore what had been his job his entire career. Opposing Offensive Lines are going to create huge holes running at him, while he's going to fail to keep linemen off of his Linebackers.

Maybe he'll recommit himself in the weight room and film room because he's going to need a lot of time with both. If he does, he could be a decent 3-4 DE, but I don't see the integrity in his personality to commit to that kind of a late-career turnaround.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 03-16-2014 at 12:02 AM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

1. This signing only cost the Packers 7.5 mill guaranteed and 3.5 mill against the cap. In the big picture, a small investment.

2. Even if Peppers has absoulutely nothing left (doubtful) and does not step up because he is incredibly motivated to join the Packers (ya think? Julius clearly wants a ring.) it will still fill a hugh void. This signing isn't about how many sacks Peppers will have, its about how many Matthews will have. Peppers isn't here to get 15 sacks. He's here to help Clay get 15 sacks. For years Green bays problem has been finding someone who can keep one side of the offense occupied so Matthews is free to do his thing on the other side. I'd say - problem solved.

3. The Packers play the Bears twice a year. I'd say they know a little about the Bears. Do Thompson and McCarthy strike you as stupid? Does the Packers organization strike you as dumb? I think they have a pretty good idea if Peppers has any gas left in the tank.

4. This signing has fired up the state of Wisconsin something fierce. It has already stimulated the packer players and should have a major positive impact on the play of Daniels, Jones, and Neal. Nobodys claiming this is the next coming of Reggie but the signing will have big time positive intangible effects.

5. Julius Peppers for MD Jennings...that is a good trade.

Kingspoint, let me refresh your recollection A few months ago you posted that the Packers would not finish with one of the 10 best records in 2014. Since Aaron Rodgers playing with 21 others from Green Bay East High would win at least 10 games in the NFL, I immediately called you out and invited you to contact me and discuss this issue in a way which might be profitable to one or the other. Needless to say, I never heard from you.
    Last edited by Mutaman; 03-17-2014 at 12:52 AM.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Yeah, I don't think they signed a 34-year-old Peppers to be an every-down base 3-4 end and soak up blockers (although Kingspoint is correct, that's the primary thing 3-4 DEs are supposed to do against the run). He'll be a hybrid situational guy. Used correctly, this could be good for the Packers, although you never know for sure when a player's that long in the tooth.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Definitely going to have to see how signing peppers will play out...even though it's a small amount against their cap I still just see all those zeros and think of what a waste it is spending that amount of money on someone who may be iffy. GB could definitely use peppers in tactical situations, like IslandRed said, if used correctly...but still gotta see how it works out for them in the first few games. Luckily you can drop him at a 'low cost' if they aren't seeing potential

Good signing of James Starks by the Packers. Well worth the investment. Franklin isn't ready to be a #2, and especially not a #1 if Lacy gets injured again. Starks not only can carry the load as a full-time back if necessary for short spells, but as a complement to Lacy, he has great outside speed, makes people miss a lot and doesn't need to have huge holes to get yards. He's a much better blocker than Franklin.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Good signing of James Starks by the Packers. Well worth the investment. Franklin isn't ready to be a #2, and especially not a #1 if Lacy gets injured again. Starks not only can carry the load as a full-time back if necessary for short spells, but as a complement to Lacy, he has great outside speed, makes people miss a lot and doesn't need to have huge holes to get yards. He's a much better blocker than Franklin.
    Glad to see Starks resigned. He's big, fast, and likes to punish folks. Unfortunatly he's made out of glass, but that makes him a good #2. With DuJuan Harris and Franklin, Packers are really deep at the running back position.

Hate to see James Jones go to Oakland. A good guy and a big part of the Super Bowl champs. TT will have to draft a decent wide receiver. Rodgers obviously feels Boykins is capable of stepping up.

Turn Off Ads?