Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Official waiver trade deadline thread (Sept. 30)

Re: Official waiver trade deadline thread (August 31)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Is this sarcasm? I'm seriously not sure, but was just wondering.
    It could be true.
    Walt did a lot of spending over the offseason.
    Perhaps he talked Cast into stretching the budget on the agreement that this was it.

I guess I don't see Byrd being a huge impact either way.
    Now if Byrd gets the big hit that wins a playoff game against us, I will admit that I'm wrong..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Likes:

Tom Servo (08-27-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfansince72 View Post
    So much for ALL IN by the Reds.. Letting Any talent get to the Pirates and or Cardinals is a joke and dont tell me this team is better than those two when they cant even beat them!!
    u 4got 2 say OMG!!!!!!!!
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    If the Reds are seriously so much at budget they can't take on 150k, than Walt did an incredible job squeezing what they could out of the budget this year.

But considering they were trying to sign Francouer a few weeks back, I kinda doubt this is actually the case.
    Actually, Walt just said they talked to Francouer's agent and it was not a good fit.

That could mean that Francouer's people called the Reds, and Walt was polite and listened to them. Doesn't necessarily mean the Reds pursued Francouer.

I believe Francouer was released by the Giants. If the Reds really wanted him, seems like they could have gotten him then.

So I guess I can not agree that the Reds were actively trying to get Francouer. They had a phone call, that's it. Walt isn't going to be a jerk and tell the media that a player called begging for a job but since the player stinks, the Reds aren't interested He will say "We talked, but it was not a good fit"
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

6. Likes:

remdog (08-31-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    So the Reds are so far up against the budget they can't claim Byrd for 17 dollars, but they're going to be able to give Choo 65+ million in the offseason!
    Nope, I doubt it's realistic to think the Reds have a chance at signing Choo.
    Walt said at the time of the trade, it was just a one year rental.

Maybe they will make a run at bringing Bronson back, but that may be wishful thinking too.

Remember, the trade to get Choo involved sending Stubbs and getting cash to make the trade payroll neutral. I think they are against the budgetary wall.

I just don't think the Mets would have gave him away for nothing. Walt makes the claim, tells the Mets he is giving them nothing in return and the Mets pull him back. Then the Pirates don't get him. This is a no brainer for me.

9. Likes:

Always Red (08-27-2013),BlackPete Ibold (08-27-2013),Larkin Fan (08-27-2013),OnBaseMachine (08-27-2013),Raisor (08-27-2013),toledodan (08-27-2013)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sammonator View Post
    I just don't think the Mets would have gave him away for nothing. Walt makes the claim, tells the Mets he is giving them nothing in return and the Mets pull him back. Then the Pirates don't get him. This is a no brainer for me.
    That doesn't cost a penny, and keeps the Pirates from getting what they want.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Reds are clearly satisfied to be the number 2 wild card. Bryd has either a huge character flaw they didn't want to deal with or the organization is flat busted broke. Really no reason otherwise not to put a claim on Bryd. He's been more productive than anything else the Reds have had in LF and he's comes cheap on top of that.
    Would a PED suspension count as a huge character flaw?
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/80...ets-suspension

Outfielder Marlon Byrd, who admitted to working with the man whose center triggered a federal investigation of steroids use and distribution among athletes, has tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs.

The league announced on Monday that the free agent has received a 50-game suspension after testing positive for Tamoxifen. He will be put on the restricted list and will remain there until Aug. 20.

Tamoxifen -- its brand name in the United States is Nolvadex -- is a medicine that blocks the effects of the estrogen hormone in the body. It is used to treat breast cancer in women or men and is used by steroid users to prevent the growth of breast tissues in men and to stop post-cycle crashes.

While with the Cubs in spring training, Byrd admitted that he was the only player in baseball who still worked with Victor Conte. Conte's Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative was at the center of the steroid scandal surrounding Barry Bonds, among others.

Byrd's biggest flaw is that he was mediocre in 2011 (95 RC+, .719 OPS), horrible in 2012 (25 RC+, .488 OPS, traded for PTBNL and then released), has a .350 BABIP this season, and has a HR/FB% (16.9%!) that is more than double any of his in the last 3 seasons, and the highest in his career. Byrd is somehow managing to do this while striking out at the highest rate in his career (26.7%) and walking just over 5% of the time. He turns 36 in 3 days.

Frankly, the Pirates would likely be better suited just playing Travis Snider and Jose Tabata on a daily basis in RF.

Byrd is a pumpkin. There's nothing to be upset about.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

13. Likes:

dwyerbrg (08-28-2013),Patrick Bateman (08-27-2013),Tom Servo (08-27-2013)

Salukifan2

I hope these two give the pirates the same spark that Dereck Lee and Ryan Ludwick did.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    My guess is that the Reds are seriously broke at this point.
    The budget was probably stretched past the max before the season even began, and thus they can not even take on 100k or whatever Byrd had left.
    They'll spend more than that on September callups. $100K isn't going to break this team by any means.

17. Likes:

Ben from Cincy (08-27-2013)

I'm sure it's not money. Is it considered bush league to block someone you have no intention of trading for? Is it one of those goofy "honor code" things?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I have a hard time believing no one in the AL would put in a claim on Morneau.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Pirates Designate Russ Canzler For Assignment

By Charlie Wilmoth [August 27 at 5:15pm CST]

The Pirates have designated utilityman Russ Canzler for assignment, Michael Sanserino of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports (via Twitter). The team also placed pitcher Kyle McPherson on the 60-day DL. The two moves clear space on the Pirates' 40-man for Marlon Byrd and John Buck, who they acquired from the Mets earlier today.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Rosenthal tweeting that DeJesus is back on waivers

Turn Off Ads?