Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Official waiver trade deadline thread (Sept. 30)

Re: Official waiver trade deadline thread (August 31)

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    There's no defending this move. There's just not.
    Well since you put it that way, I guess we should just shut down all discussion on the matter
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Likes:

dubc47834 (08-27-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Technically, I suppose it is actually a lack of a move rather than a move. But I agree with your general sentiment.

Agree with Reds44, no defending this move.

Dude murders LHP and the Reds have a guy playing CF who can't hit left handed pitching to save his life. Not to mention Ludwick is only playing 2/3rds of the time right now. The Reds reserve right handed OFer has a sparkling .689 OPS right now and Paul has a .723 OPS.

There is literally 0 downside to claiming him. None. He's an upgrade over every single player currently on their bench, he would have cost you 150 grand, and at worst you keep him away from the Pirates.

It is very hard to see the logic of not putting a claim in. Like I said, it likely will mean very little, but it is very difficult to udnerstand the logic.
    I don't mean this to be condescending, but this isn't fantasy baseball. If you have any intentions of resigning Choo in the OF are you going to start platooning a player who is 2nd in the league in OBP? Its nonsense to think that the Reds are going to start platooning the 2nd best guy in the NL at finding 1b.

Ludwick is only playing 2/3 days right now but you probably will see that bumped up to 3/4 and then 6/7. But Ludwick isn't going anywhere and has little to do with Byrd. The Reds aren't going to release Ludwick for Byrd.

That pretty much leaves the decision down to Heisey vs 1.5 months of Byrd. If this were 3 months ago when the Reds were running out Robinson and Lutz in LF then I would have an issue with it. Walt doesn't seem like a GM who is going to put in a pointless waiver wire claim.

He didn't cost anything! What do you mean he's not a fit? The entire bench sucks. What does he not fit? Do you have to be awful to be on the Reds bench? Worst case is the Mets pull him back and the Pirates don't get him.

This. This. This.

Marlon Byrd has a higher OPS against LHP than any player on the Reds. I would be ripping Walt apart if I were a Reds beat reporter. This lack of a move is inexcusable.

He has been asleep at the wheel since the beginning of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I don't mean this to be condescending, but this isn't fantasy baseball. If you have any intentions of resigning Choo in the OF are you going to start platooning a player who is 2nd in the league in OBP? Its nonsense to think that the Reds are going to start platooning the 2nd best guy in the NL at finding 1b.

Ludwick is only playing 2/3 days right now but you probably will see that bumped up to 3/4 and then 6/7. But Ludwick isn't going anywhere and has little to do with Byrd. The Reds aren't going to release Ludwick for Byrd.

That pretty much leaves the decision down to Heisey vs 1.5 months of Byrd. If this were 3 months ago when the Reds were running out Robinson and Lutz in LF then I would have an issue with it. Walt doesn't seem like a GM who is going to put in a pointless waiver wire claim.
    Choo resigning with the Reds is about as fantasy baseball as it gets. It is not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I don't think Byrd was a fit at this point. The time to get Byrd was when Ludwick went out, early. Good player but a righty hitting left fielder not a priority any more.
    While the Mets have been a .400-.450 winning percentage team basically all year, I feel like the front office trading away one of their working pieces two or three weeks into the season would sort of be sending the wrong message to the fans and team, ya know?

For the record, I don't disagree that would have been the time to "get" him. But it takes two to tango and I'm not sure he was "gettable" then. Also, you'd be taking on closer to a million bucks than $150,000 at the pro-rated August levels.

I'm with you that MAYBE Walt might have a move or two in him before the deadline and agree that he deserves the benefit of that. And yeah, Byrd may not have been a terrific positional fit (before rosters expand, anyway). But I would be willing to bet that there is no player that will get claimed off waivers who represents better offensive value than Byrd could have off the bench.... and that's to say nothing of the implications about blocking the Bucs.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I'm sure Walt is content with the bench he currently has and doesn't believe in blocking other teams. I mean, how else do you explain passing on an .848 OPS bat (21 HR, 71 RBI) that has an OPS of .980 this year vs. LHP that could have been had for pennies?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    I'm sure Walt is content with the bench he currently has and doesn't believe in blocking other teams. I mean, how else do you explain passing on an .848 OPS bat (21 HR, 71 RBI) that has an OPS of .980 this year vs. LHP that could have been had for pennies?
    He is literally napping in a rocking chair is the only explanation I can come up with.

He didn't cost anything! What do you mean he's not a fit? The entire bench sucks. What does he not fit? Do you have to be awful to be on the Reds bench? Worst case is the Mets pull him back and the Pirates don't get him.

As I've said, the Reds needed Byrd earlier, when Ludwick was out. Now, the Reds have both Ludwick and Heisey as RHH corner outfielders. Heisey isn't being moved, he's also the backup CFer.

So it's really too late for Byrd to get much playing time. Ludwick is the starting LFer, he isn't going anywhere, he isn't being benched. Heisey is needed because of CF.

XPaul's spot can be upgraded, but it's the spot for a lefty hitter. Not Byrd. So, yes, Byrd is not a fit. He wouldn't replace infielders, I don't see him backing up shortstop.

I think there's a need to wait until Saturday. There are obviously guys on the market, better fits probably. A lefty or switch hitting bench guy to replace X, a reliever. Nobody wants moves more than me, but this move didn't really fit the Reds.

lol u guys mad
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

14. Likes:

BuckeyeRedleg (08-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post

This doesn't matter, we didn't have to acquire him unless the Mets just gave him to us (which I don't think would happen). You just put in a claim, Mets pull him back and at least the Pirates don't get him. No defending this move.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    lol u guys mad

17. Likes:

BuckeyeRedleg (08-27-2013),Tom Servo (08-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    As I've said, the Reds needed Byrd earlier, when Ludwick was out. Now, the Reds have both Ludwick and Heisey as RHH corner outfielders. Heisey isn't being moved, he's also the backup CFer.

So it's really too late for Byrd to get much playing time. Ludwick is the starting LFer, he isn't going anywhere, he isn't being benched. Heisey is needed because of CF.

XPaul's spot can be upgraded, but it's the spot for a lefty hitter. Not Byrd. So, yes, Byrd is not a fit. He wouldn't replace infielders, I don't see him backing up shortstop.

I think there's a need to wait until Saturday. There are obviously guys on the market, better fits probably. A lefty or switch hitting bench guy to replace X, a reliever. Nobody wants moves more than me, but this move didn't really fit the Reds.
    Have you looked at Heisey's numbers? Another bad year. When will people stop over valuing him?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin88 View Post
    While the Mets have been a .400-.450 winning percentage team basically all year, I feel like the front office trading away one of their working pieces two or three weeks into the season would sort of be sending the wrong message to the fans and team, ya know?

For the record, I don't disagree that would have been the time to "get" him. But it takes two to tango and I'm not sure he was "gettable" then. Also, you'd be taking on closer to a million bucks than $150,000 at the pro-rated August levels.

'.
    If you read some of my earlier posts, I said exactly that -- it was not feasible to get Byrd earlier without paying up in prospects or money. Agree completely.

But -- the Reds' need was earlier. Not now. Now Ludwick is back, he's signed for two years, the Reds are not benching him.

Byrd would be sitting on the bench waiting for a lefty reliever. I don't think he's a fit with both Lud and Heisey active, unless the Reds moved one of them.

Turn Off Ads?