Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Official waiver trade deadline thread (Sept. 30)

Re: Official waiver trade deadline thread (August 31)

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Stanton would never make it to the Reds in the waiver process, but hypothetically lets say the Reds are the only team to claim Stanton and the Marlins are the only team to claim Heisey, yes they could be traded for each other.

Generally teams try to pass as many guys thru waivers as possible early on in August.
    I know Stanton would never make it to the Reds. My understanding is that once a guy is claimed on waivers, then the teams can negotiate a trade deal. So my scenario was we put Heisey or some other low level major leaguer on waivers and say the Marlins claim our guy.

What happens next? Can the teams negotiate anybody to trade? Is it possible to trade Cueto, Chapman, Heisey, Billy, HRod for Stanton and some prospects easily? Or does every elligible player in the trade have to go through waivers too?

Also, say my above scenario is correct where we make a huge trade on their Heisey waiver claim and it is found that Walt conspired this trade before time. Is it against the rules for GMs to conspired like this, i.e. put a low level major leaguer on waivers to trade more important, upper level major leaguers?
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    I know Stanton would never make it to the Reds. My understanding is that once a guy is claimed on waivers, then the teams can negotiate a trade deal. So my scenario was we put Heisey or some other low level major leaguer on waivers and say the Marlins claim our guy.

What happens next? Can the teams negotiate anybody to trade? Is it possible to trade Cueto, Chapman, Heisey, Billy, HRod for Stanton and some prospects easily? Or does every elligible player in the trade have to go through waivers too?

Also, say my above scenario is correct where we make a huge trade on their Heisey waiver claim and it is found that Walt conspired this trade before time. Is it against the rules for GMs to conspired like this, i.e. put a low level major leaguer on waivers to trade more important, upper level major leaguers?
    Everybody on the 40 man has to clear waivers to be traded.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Angels Release Ryan Madson

By Charlie Wilmoth [August 5 at 9:16pm CST]

The Angels have released reliever Ryan Madson, MLB.com's Alden Gonzalez reports (on Twitter). Madson signed a one-year, $3.5MM deal with the Angels last November to bolster what turned out to be a weak bullpen. But the investment hasn't paid dividends, since Madson hasn't pitched in the Majors since 2011 -- he spent all of 2012 recovering from Tommy John surgery, and has not yet returned to pitch in 2013, except in one May rehab appearance with Class A+ Inland Empire. Madson threw bullpen sessions in Arizona last month.

Madson has a 3.59 ERA with 7.8 K/9 and 2.7 BB/9 in 630 career innings pitched. He posted a 2.37 ERA with 9.2 K/9 and 2.4 BB/9 in 2011 with the Phillies.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post

Angels Release Ryan Madson

By Charlie Wilmoth [August 5 at 9:16pm CST]

The Angels have released reliever Ryan Madson, MLB.com's Alden Gonzalez reports (on Twitter). Madson signed a one-year, $3.5MM deal with the Angels last November to bolster what turned out to be a weak bullpen. But the investment hasn't paid dividends, since Madson hasn't pitched in the Majors since 2011 -- he spent all of 2012 recovering from Tommy John surgery, and has not yet returned to pitch in 2013, except in one May rehab appearance with Class A+ Inland Empire. Madson threw bullpen sessions in Arizona last month.

Madson has a 3.59 ERA with 7.8 K/9 and 2.7 BB/9 in 630 career innings pitched. He posted a 2.37 ERA with 9.2 K/9 and 2.4 BB/9 in 2011 with the Phillies.
    Proof for the crowd who was touting trusting the pen to Madsen on the assumption coming back from TJ is a foregone conclusion. I was reallly happy the Reds didn't bring him back and decided to pursue actual answers for the role he would have played. Counting on any guy coming back from injury is a poor practice IMO. It's why I thought the Reds needed to make a move or two to help the Pen and the OF this year. I hope these guys coming back can have an impact, but it's just a hope at this point.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

6. Likes:

REDREAD (08-06-2013)

The Laynce Nix Daynce Mix is available.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

8. Likes:

Big Klu (08-06-2013),cumberlandreds (08-07-2013),OC_Red (08-06-2013),OGB (08-08-2013),Redsfansince72 (08-06-2013)

Tigers Release Jose Valverde

By Steve Adams [August 7 at 1:18pm CST]

The Tigers have unconditionally released former closer Jose Valverde, the team announced on Twitter. The 35-year-old Valverde had previously accepted an outright assignment to Triple-A Toledo as he looked to regain his form after being designated for assignment at the end of June.

In 11 innings at Toledo, Valverde picked up seven saves with a 4.09 ERA, 10 strikeouts and six walks. While not stellar numbers, it's an improvement from the 5.59 ERA he posted in 19 1/3 innings as the Tigers' closer earlier this season. Valverde's return to the ninth inning for the Tigers started well, but over his final 7 1/3 innings he surrendered six homers, resulting in 11 runs and his subsequent DFA.

If the rumors are true about Ludwick's return this weekend, it couldn't come at a better time.

My plan would be to give Ludwick 2 weeks to see if he can regain his stroke and be helpful this year. If he can, great. If he can't, I try to swing a deal for Alex Rios (surprise, surprise). If he clears waivers and/or falls to the Reds in the claims process, it will be a pretty good indicator of his market value, and what the Reds might have to give up for him and/or how much of his salary the White Sox could or should be willing to cover. The money in 2013 should be negligible but $12.5M in 2014 might need to be addressed.

In any event, it's pretty clear we'll need a CF for 2014, and Rios could fit that bill perfectly.
    Go BLUE!!!

I keep reading that the Rangers are looking for nearly any outfielder that can produce some offense. Perhaps we can swing Paul or Heisey to them when Ludwick comes back?
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

Blue Jays' Mark DeRosa Claimed Off Waivers

By Zach Links [August 7 at 8:54pm CST]

Blue Jays veteran Mark DeRosa has been claimed off of waivers, sources tell Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter). The claiming team is not yet known, however. Toronto has until tomorrow to work out a trade, let him go, or pull him back off of waivers.

Blue Jays veteran Mark DeRosa has been claimed off of waivers, sources tell Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter). The claiming team is not yet known, however. Toronto has until tomorrow to work out a trade, let him go, or pull him back off of waivers.
    I wonder if its the Reds???? The way Frazier has been in a terrible slump... hmmm

Adam Dunn since May 30th (58 games)

.289/.404/.532

14 Hr
    40 RBi
    39 BB

This was about the same time as he stopped his "new approach" of being more aggressive early in the counts.

Thought maybe the Rangers would snag him. HR and OB% are almost exact of Nelson Cruz on the year.

15. Likes:

Edd Roush (08-08-2013)

I've thought for several years that he transformed his body by roids. He was Punch and Judy and then the next year he was bigger than Francoeur for the Braves.

I like him....but worry he is done.

I would have loved to have had DeRosa in about 2008 or so, but injuries and age have hit him hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    Adam Dunn since May 30th (58 games)

.289/.404/.532

14 Hr
    40 RBi
    39 BB

This was about the same time as he stopped his "new approach" of being more aggressive early in the counts.

Thought maybe the Rangers would snag him. HR and OB% are almost exact of Nelson Cruz on the year.
    If he is on waivers.. he wont make it out of the AL.. Somebody will claim him.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfansince72 View Post
    If he is on waivers.. he wont make it out of the AL.. Somebody will claim him.
    Never said he would.....sorry.

Turn Off Ads?