Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
Stanton would never make it to the Reds in the waiver process, but hypothetically lets say the Reds are the only team to claim Stanton and the Marlins are the only team to claim Heisey, yes they could be traded for each other.

Generally teams try to pass as many guys thru waivers as possible early on in August.
I know Stanton would never make it to the Reds. My understanding is that once a guy is claimed on waivers, then the teams can negotiate a trade deal. So my scenario was we put Heisey or some other low level major leaguer on waivers and say the Marlins claim our guy.

What happens next? Can the teams negotiate anybody to trade? Is it possible to trade Cueto, Chapman, Heisey, Billy, HRod for Stanton and some prospects easily? Or does every elligible player in the trade have to go through waivers too?

Also, say my above scenario is correct where we make a huge trade on their Heisey waiver claim and it is found that Walt conspired this trade before time. Is it against the rules for GMs to conspired like this, i.e. put a low level major leaguer on waivers to trade more important, upper level major leaguers?