Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Official waiver trade deadline thread (Sept. 30)

Re: Official waiver trade deadline thread (August 31)

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...n-waivers.html

Marlon Byrd Claimed Off Waivers
    By Steve Adams [August 27, 2013 at 9:29am CST]
    9:29am: A National League team was awarded the claim on Byrd, according to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports.

8:58am: Marlon Byrd has been claimed off revocable trade waivers by an unknown team, according to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com (Twitter link). Not long ago, this wouldn't have seemed as newsworthy, as the Mets had been steadfast in their stance against trading Byrd. However, as Rubin reported earlier this morning, the Mets are likely to make at least one trade in the next 24 to 48 hours.

Byrd, who turns 36 on Friday, is enjoying a surprising career year with the Mets. His 21 homers are a career-high, as is his 136 OPS+, and his .285/.330/.522 batting line has made him one of baseball's most productive right fielders. His defense grades out well in right, and he's owed just $130K for the remainder of the season.

The Mets will have 48 hours to work out a trade with the claiming team, so the latest we could find out resolution on the situation would be Thursday. Prior to the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline, the Reds, Pirates and Orioles were among the teams to show interest in Byrd.
    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/...ed-off-waivers
    Mets outfielder Marlon Byrd has been claimed off waivers by an unknown team, sources said, and the Mets could try to trade him.

Sources suggest it was a National League team that made the successful claim.

With his low salary ($700,000) and surperb season, it is likely he was claimed by multiple teams, but only the first eligible will have a chance t trade for him.
    Last edited by klw; 08-27-2013 at 10:37 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Interesting. Do the Reds claim him to keep him from the Pirates, who probably need him more? He's surpassed his career high in HR this year, already. The Orioles have no shot at him.
    sorry we're boring

The Reds (obviously) had waiver priorties over the Pirates, so if they wanted him they got him.

Only making 700k this year. Really no reason for the Reds not to have claimed him to be honest.

Would be a good option to fill in for Ludwick and platoon with Choo (.345/.383/.587 vL).
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

This would be an excellent move if it is, in fact the Reds.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    Byrd would have been a great acquisition in May. Mets weren't dealing him in May, but that's when he really would have helped most.

Now, with Ludwick back, with Heisey hitting ok, I don't really see the spot for him. Reds would be better off getting a lefty hitter who is better than Xavier Paul for the bench.

I think the Reds have liked Byrd for a long time. Whether they would we be willing to juggle their roster and guys' playing times at this point, I don't know.

He'd improve the team.

Can someone help me understand the implications of the Reds maybe blocking the Bucs here, whether they intend to make roster moves for Byrd or not?

The way I understand it (probably incorrectly) is if the Reds claimed Byrd with higher waiver priority than the Bucs, the Mets can only pull him back or exclusively work with the Reds on a trade deal.

If the Reds claimed him and didn't offer anything of value in a trade, what are the implications? That you take on the remainder of his salary (which is nothing this year) assuming the Mets let him walk?

Either way, I wonder if playing keep away from the Pirates is potentially worth exploring here.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I think the Reds have liked Byrd for a long time. Whether they would we be willing to juggle their roster and guys' playing times at this point, I don't know.

He'd improve the team.
    When would Byrd play? Ludwick/Heisey are both righty corner outfielders. Both are now healthy and playing.

When would Byrd play and whom does he replace?

When would Byrd play? Ludwick/Heisey are both righty corner outfielders. Both are now healthy and playing.
    He's playing better than both. He can sub for Choo against lefties.

I agree the Reds may be hesitant to sit one of their loyal soldiers. But I contend Byrd can give them better production out of LF than they're getting right now, with the added benefit of being able to play CF at times v. lefties.

11. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Byrd would have been a great acquisition in May. Mets weren't dealing him in May, but that's when he really would have helped most.

Now, with Ludwick back, with Heisey hitting ok, I don't really see the spot for him. Reds would be better off getting a lefty hitter who is better than Xavier Paul for the bench.
    It'd be hard to convince me that Byrd in left and Heisey in center wouldn't be a better outfield vs. lefties than Choo in center and Ludwick in left the rest of the season.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

13. Likes:

OneManBand (08-27-2013),Revering4Blue (08-27-2013)

Just A Couple Johnny's OneManBand's Avatar

When I read that Byrd had been claimed the Reds were my 1st thought.. Had this feeling same feeling just before the Reds made a deal to acquirer Eddie Guardado from the Mariners...

It'd be hard to convince me that Byrd in left and Heisey in center wouldn't be a better outfield vs. lefties than Choo in center and Ludwick in left the rest of the season.
    Ludwick had a .937 OPS against lefties last season. If the Reds aren't going to use him against lefties, why did they re-sign him?

Byrd is a veteran who is having a great year, so I guess he'd be a good addition. Just not sure when he would play, but I guess it would improve the team on paper. Whatever.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-27-2013 at 12:24 PM.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Ludwick had a .937 OPS against lefties last season. If the Reds aren't going to use him against lefties, why did they re-sign him?

Byrd is a veteran who is having a great year, so I guess he'd be a good addition. Just not sure when he would play, but I guess it would improve the team on paper. Whatever.
    They have to balance the Ludwick they re-signed with the Ludwick they actually have at the moment. Byrd's an improvement. Ludwick is signed for next year, so they probably won't worry too much about cutting his playing time in the here and now.

To me, Heisey is the guy who could end up buried if the Reds won the claim and trade for Byrd. He wouldn't necessarily be the first right-handed bat off the bench, and Derrick Robinson will be back in less than a week to add another bench glove.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

They have an expanded roster coming up. There is plenty of room for a guy that can actually hit.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

This.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    They have to balance the Ludwick they re-signed with the Ludwick they actually have at the moment. Byrd's an improvement. Ludwick is signed for next year, so they probably won't worry too much about cutting his playing time in the here and now.

Turn Off Ads?