Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Official waiver trade deadline thread (Sept. 30)

Re: Official waiver trade deadline thread (August 31)

Ludwick is only playing 2/3rds of the time anyways right now. Byrd could play CF vs. lefties. Seems like a perfect fit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Choo sitting against lefties just ain't happening.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

CEO - Hal Morris Fanclub OC_Red's Avatar

Along with Byrd, Gammons reporting that Twins have put Josh Willingham on waiver wire...not sure if he's worth a trade or not, but if he could re-find the swing that gave him 35 taters last year...might be worth a look.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...illingham.html

Quote Originally Posted by OC_Red View Post
    Along with Byrd, Gammons reporting that Twins have put Josh Willingham on waiver wire...not sure if he's worth a trade or not, but if he could re-find the swing that gave him 35 taters last year...might be worth a look.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...illingham.html
    "He's owed roughly $1.3MM for the remainder of the season and is owed $7MM in 2014 -- the final season of a three-year, $21MM contract."

That's a pretty decent amount of money to take on for a gamble (both given his propensity for injuries and declining production)... to say nothing of what they would give up.

It's an interesting thought since he was mentioned in the rumor mill last trade season, I just think IF the Reds are going to make any moves, a Byrd-like addition is probably more in line with the team's budget/appetite.

6. Likes:

OC_Red (08-27-2013),Tom Servo (08-27-2013)

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Byrd and John Buck to the Pirates

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...medium=twitter

Sigh...I don't get this one...WHY would Jocketty let Byrd go by? I am not a GM, nor do I pretend to understand things the way a guy like Walt does. Having said that, wasn't this the definition of a low-risk, high-reward move?!

I don't get it at all. Hopefully, one of the stellar cincy media will inquire as to the GM's thought process on this one.

So we didn't want to block that. Hmm.

Walt not claiming him makes absolutely zero sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    I figured they were the ones with the Byrd claim. Pity.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Ok, now I am mad. Walt allowed that? Seriously? We are stuck watching Chris Heisey and Xavier Paul in pinch hitting situations, and one of our main rivals for the playoffs this season, just acquired a player markedly better than either, who is essentially making the minimum?

This season is really aggravating me. I question the desire to win, from the top on down.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

"We like our team."

14. Likes:

texasdave (08-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by OC_Red View Post
    Sigh...I don't get this one...WHY would Jocketty let Byrd go by? I am not a GM, nor do I pretend to understand things the way a guy like Walt does. Having said that, wasn't this the definition of a low-risk, high-reward move?!

I don't get it at all. Hopefully, one of the stellar cincy media will inquire as to the GM's thought process on this one.
    From a pure salary/personnel standpoint, I can understand Cincinnati not pulling the trigger on a claim. But adding in the factor of their competition (Pittsburgh) from getting a solid upgrade, it does surprise me slightly they wouldn't want to take a risk in order to block Pittsburgh's claim.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I don't get it either. Why not even block him?

By the way, tonight's T-shirt Tuesday giveaway at the Mets' game?

And here's what is being reported as what the Mets got:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=herrer000dil

and a PTBNL.

Wow.

I am modifying my mantra from post-Latos trade...it's now "In Walt I *sometimes* trust"

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Didn't the Reds have an Austin Kearns bobblehead night after he was traded?

Turn Off Ads?