Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Official waiver trade deadline thread (Sept. 30)

Re: Official waiver trade deadline thread (August 31)

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    That's fine. Then the Pirates wouldn't have gotten either of them.

No downside to claiming Byrd.
    100000000% on point
    Larkin is a First-Ballot HOFer in my book...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Remember 12 months ago when we were all piling on Neil Huntington and how poorly he was running the Pirates?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Remember 12 months ago when we were all piling on Neil Huntington and how poorly he was running the Pirates?
    No?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

5. Likes:

reds44 (08-27-2013)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I don't remember everyone necessarily, but yeah it was a lot of RZ, probably me included.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    No?
    It was in that thread about Huntington having players take Navy Seal training.

I have stood up for the move or non-moves this team have made this year. This has pushed me over the edge. I have not been a frequent poster by any means, but I need somewhere to blow steam off.

Anyone have a cat I can punch?
    Larkin is a First-Ballot HOFer in my book...

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

It was in that thread about Huntington having players take Navy Seal training.
    I posted that thread, so yeah, includes me.

That WAS really dumb though.

10. Likes:

Tom Servo (08-27-2013)

Don't really understand all the outrage over the Reds not claiming Byrd. Who would you replace if you claimed Byrd? They aren't going to replace Paul. Paul is the left handed power bat off the bench. He is a pinch hitter who is a very good fastball hitter. He is a guy who Dusty clearly likes having on the bench. He isn't going to get many starts from here on out.

The Reds clearly like Heisey and don't want to risk losing him going forward. Also it appears as if Billy Hamilton is on the horizon, coming up and probably being on a post season roster. Byrd isn't going to start over Ludwick, Choo or Bruce so basically your saying the Reds should claim a guy to be a glorified 4th OF?

As for claiming him so the Pirates don't get him, that doesn't seem to be Walt's MO. It appears as if Walt is a well respected GM and doesn't really dive into antics that some GM's would do. You could have a shyster like Jim Bowden who was willing to do anything and everything to piss other GM's off, or you could have a professional GM. Claiming or not claiming Byrd isn't going to put the Reds or Pirates over the top this season. The Reds have maintained that they are going to go to bat with the status quo and hope to get production from the guys coming off the DL. Its something that I don't have a problem with.

I do find it funny for every non move that Walt makes he gets called an idiot or a bad GM.

12. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (08-27-2013),REDREAD (08-27-2013),remdog (08-27-2013)

Not a concern if you're Walt since inter division trades happen very rarely.

Could this have anything to do with Votto refusing to give Byrd a high-five after he scored in the All-Star Game a few years back?
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Don't really understand all the outrage over the Reds not claiming Byrd. Who would you replace if you claimed Byrd? They aren't going to replace Paul. Paul is the left handed power bat off the bench. He is a pinch hitter who is a very good fastball hitter. He is a guy who Dusty clearly likes having on the bench. He isn't going to get many starts from here on out.

The Reds clearly like Heisey and don't want to risk losing him going forward. Also it appears as if Billy Hamilton is on the horizon, coming up and probably being on a post season roster. Byrd isn't going to start over Ludwick, Choo or Bruce so basically your saying the Reds should claim a guy to be a glorified 4th OF?

As for claiming him so the Pirates don't get him, that doesn't seem to be Walt's MO. It appears as if Walt is a well respected GM and doesn't really dive into antics that some GM's would do. You could have a shyster like Jim Bowden who was willing to do anything and everything to piss other GM's off, or you could have a professional GM. Claiming or not claiming Byrd isn't going to put the Reds or Pirates over the top this season. The Reds have maintained that they are going to go to bat with the status quo and hope to get production from the guys coming off the DL. Its something that I don't have a problem with.

I do find it funny for every non move that Walt makes he gets called an idiot or a bad GM.
    Dude murders LHP and the Reds have a guy playing CF who can't hit left handed pitching to save his life. Not to mention Ludwick is only playing 2/3rds of the time right now. The Reds reserve right handed OFer has a sparkling .689 OPS right now and Paul has a .723 OPS.

There is literally 0 downside to claiming him. None. He's an upgrade over every single player currently on their bench, he would have cost you 150 grand, and at worst you keep him away from the Pirates.

It is very hard to see the logic of not putting a claim in. Like I said, it likely will mean very little, but it is very difficult to udnerstand the logic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

16. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (08-27-2013),OC_Red (08-27-2013)

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by It8ifyifitsgrif View Post
    Totally no possible way for the entire organization to defend this move. Just an absolute complete sign of apathy by all involved.

Word.

Its fun watching people make conclusions about another's actions based on their own dubious presuppositions.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

19. Likes:

dubc47834 (08-27-2013),Joseph (08-27-2013)

I don't think Byrd was a fit at this point. The time to get Byrd was when Ludwick went out, early. Good player but a righty hitting left fielder not a priority any more.

Let's give Walt to the end of the week. Hopefully there are other guys who fit better. A lefty or switch hitting outfielder; a reliever; maybe even a shortstop to alternate with Cozart, someone who is a better hitter.

I'm very disappointed in the front office this season, but at this point let's see what happens by the 31st, which is Saturday.

21. Likes:

REDREAD (08-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I don't think Byrd was a fit at this point. The time to get Byrd was when Ludwick went out, early. Good player but a righty hitting left fielder not a priority any more.

Let's give Walt to the end of the week. Hopefully there are other guys who fit better. A lefty or switch hitting outfielder; a reliever; maybe even a shortstop to alternate with Cozart who is a better hitter.

I'm very disappointed in the front office this season, but at this point let's see what happens by the 31st, which is Saturday.
    He didn't cost anything! What do you mean he's not a fit? The entire bench sucks. What does he not fit? Do you have to be awful to be on the Reds bench? Worst case is the Mets pull him back and the Pirates don't get him.

There's no defending this move. There's just not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

23. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (08-27-2013),BuckeyeRedleg (08-27-2013),mth123 (08-27-2013)

Turn Off Ads?