Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: Official waiver trade deadline thread (Sept. 30)

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Re: Official waiver trade deadline thread (August 31)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    As I've said, the Reds needed Byrd earlier, when Ludwick was out. Now, the Reds have both Ludwick and Heisey as RHH corner outfielders. Heisey isn't being moved, he's also the backup CFer.

So it's really too late for Byrd to get much playing time. Ludwick is the starting LFer, he isn't going anywhere, he isn't being benched. Heisey is needed because of CF.
    No, they need Byrd more now. For no other reason than to block the Pirates from getting him.

Other reasons too.

Less has to be given up now. He is cheaper now. Ludwick is a shell of who he was last year and we know more about Ludwick NOW. He's more like he was the three years earlier AND he's got a bad shoulder. Why does Ludwick get penciled in every day at the expense of a better bat? Loyalty? How much money he makes? The fact that they are stuck with Ludwick and his awful contract shouldn't prevent them from trying to get better for the remainder of this year.

And Heisey? C'mon KC. we know what we have with him. He's a 4th/5th OF. He is a AAAA replacement-level player. Nothing more.

2. Likes:

Redsfansince72 (08-27-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

If you read some of my earlier posts, I said exactly that -- it was not feasible to get Byrd earlier without paying up in prospects or money. Agree completely.

But -- the Reds' need was earlier. Not now. Now Ludwick is back, he's signed for two years, the Reds are not benching him.

Byrd would be sitting on the bench waiting for a lefty reliever. I don't think he's a fit with both Lud and Heisey active, unless the Reds moved one of them.
    I see what you are saying, but I don't think the Mets would have dumped him on us without us giving them something of significant value back. So let's say we put in a claim, then the Mets ask us for a player and we offer them nothing of value. Then they pull him back and at least the Pirates don't get him. I just don't understand why we did not at least do that. Even if we had no intentions of getting Byrd we should have at least put the claim in so the Pirates don't get him. That is the part that frustrates me.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    That's fine. Then the Pirates wouldn't have gotten either of them.

No downside to claiming Byrd.
    Not defending the no claim, but there is some downside.
    There's always the risk the Mets could've just let the Reds have him.
    My guess is that the Reds are seriously broke at this point.
    The budget was probably stretched past the max before the season even began, and thus they can not even take on 100k or whatever Byrd had left.

That said, the Pirates claiming Byrd is not a disaster by any means.
    It would not have likely made a huge impact to the Reds either.

The Reds aren't in a financial position to start claiming everyone that might help the Pirates, sadly.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Have you looked at Heisey's numbers? Another bad year. When will people stop over valuing him?
    Hilarious that anyone would argue that I'm overvaluing Heisey. You should read some of my posts.

Heisey's value is that he can play CF pretty well, so he covers the whole outfield. His hitting approach is lacking IMO but right now you just can't cast him out. Choo can't be the only CFer on the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    lol.

If you read some of my earlier posts, I said exactly that -- it was not feasible to get Byrd earlier without paying up in prospects or money. Agree completely.

But -- the Reds' need was earlier. Not now. Now Ludwick is back, he's signed for two years, the Reds are not benching him.

Byrd would be sitting on the bench waiting for a lefty reliever. I don't think he's a fit with both Lud and Heisey active, unless the Reds moved one of them.
    Yet, WHY ALLOW THE PIRATES TO GET HIM? I don't mean to be capitol letter guy, but c'mon. Why allow anything that strengthens them with so little risk?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

9. Likes:

BuckeyeRedleg (08-27-2013)

Byrd's 136 OPS+ would be second best on the Reds, behind Votto (Choo is at 131). He would have been a big upgrade in LF. The Reds have the third worst OPS out of their left fielders in the National League. It's hard to believe the Reds passed on him. At the very least they should have blocked him from the Pirates.

11. Likes:

BuckeyeRedleg (08-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    The budget was probably stretched past the max before the season even began, and thus they can not even take on 100k or whatever Byrd had left.
    Is this sarcasm? I'm seriously not sure, but was just wondering.

Not defending the no claim, but there is some downside.
    There's always the risk the Mets could've just let the Reds have him.

That said, the Pirates claiming Byrd is not a disaster by any means.
    It would not have likely made a huge impact to the Reds either.

The Reds aren't in a financial position to start claiming everyone that might help the Pirates, sadly.
    If the Reds are seriously so much at budget they can't take on 150k, than Walt did an incredible job squeezing what they could out of the budget this year.

But considering they were trying to sign Francouer a few weeks back, I kinda doubt this is actually the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Would be great if the Reds could pick up James Russell from the Cubs. Jimmy Russel.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

15. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (08-27-2013)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Would be great if the Reds could pick up James Russell from the Cubs. Jimmy Russel.
    Oh. my.

god.

17. Likes:

Tom Servo (08-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Choo resigning with the Reds is about as fantasy baseball as it gets. It is not going to happen.
    1. Can Byrd even play CF anymore? I honestly don't know the answer to this question.

2. Let's assume Byrd could play CF. Even if resigning Choo is a fantasy, it is really worth it? Think long term. Walt trying to sign another FA ballplayer, and selling them on coming to Cincy. Do you want the FA to be thinking in the back of his mind that Choo was having a great year, and the Reds bought in a guy to platoon with him, thus limiting his FA value?
    I think Walt's loyalty to the players has been rewarded. Maybe it doesn't 100% optimize the lineup, but you get guys like Ludwick, Votto, Phillips that want to play here. Heck, Arroyo wants to come back too, even though he acknowledges the money might not work. I'm sure Leake appreciated Dusty's vote of confidence when Leake was off to a slow start and Cingrani was blowing people away (Dusty said Leake's job was not in trouble).

It's very easy as a message board poster to not think of these people as humans.. but trust me, if Byrd was brought in to platoon with Choo, it would probably be deflating to the clubhouse. Everyone in there probably considers Choo one of the best hitters on the team, and they are right.

As someone else said.. we really can't cut Heisey to make room for Byrd. Heisey isn't a star, but he's been valuable, plus we need him for insurance in CF next year.. Drop Paul and be content with Hannahan being the only LH pinch hitter?
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

19. Likes:

bucksfan2 (08-27-2013)

So the Reds are so far up against the budget they can't claim Byrd for 17 dollars, but they're going to be able to give Choo 65+ million in the offseason!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

21. Likes:

Always Red (08-27-2013),mth123 (08-27-2013)

1. Can Byrd even play CF anymore? I honestly don't know the answer to this question.
    Byrd has only played two games in CF this year but supposedly has acquitted himself well in the field this season.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...byrdma01.shtml

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...john-buck.html
    Byrd is no longer a regular center fielder (just two games there in 2013), but his defense in right field grades out to a solid +6.6 UZR/150, and The Fielding Bible pegs him at nine runs saved.

So much for ALL IN by the Reds.. Letting Any talent get to the Pirates and or Cardinals is a joke and dont tell me this team is better than those two when they cant even beat them!!

Turn Off Ads?