Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Official waiver trade deadline thread (Sept. 30)

Re: Official waiver trade deadline thread (August 31)

Diamondbacks designated OF Jason Kubel for assignment.
    Kubel hadn't been playing much lately and didn't produce when he was in the lineup, batting just .220/.288/.324 this season over 89 games. He'll clear waivers, with the D'Backs having to pick up the remainder of his $7.5 million salary for this season, as well as a $1 million buyout for 2014.

There's a guy I'd rather have over X-Paul, though I don't know if he could be released/signed by us by Sept 1.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Likes:

OneManBand (08-28-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Pirates acquire C John Buck and Marlon Byrd for a minor league prospect and PTBNL. Wow. Nice pickup for the Buccos.

EMAW

Walt has no interest in improving the team if it means adding payroll, very evident

Quote Originally Posted by EMAW View Post
    Walt has no interest in improving the team if it means adding payroll, very evident

But the fact that he could have prevented the Pirates from improving their team, while costing the Reds no money, makes this a gaffe regardless of whatever excuse John Fay or Dusty ponies up in defense.

7. Likes:

BuckeyeRedleg (08-27-2013),LoganBuck (08-28-2013),Reds/Flyers Fan (08-28-2013),Redsfansince72 (08-28-2013)

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I'm sure it's not money. Is it considered bush league to block someone you have no intention of trading for? Is it one of those goofy "honor code" things?
    I don't know if it's an honor code but it's almost assuredly a golden-rule situation. Way back in Ball Four, Bouton talked about GMs having tacit you-don't-block-mine-I-won't-block-yours understandings. Stepping out and outright blocking a move still happens, but with the understanding that eventually it'll cost the GM a trade he wanted to make.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

ok, I'm now convinced that it probably wasn't monetary.

But calling this a huge blunder by the Reds is going overboard.

I'd rather the Pirates win the division over the Cards anyhow, so I hope Buck and Byrd play well for them.
    The last 2 days have proved we aren't going to win the division anyhow...
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Why shouldn't the Reds have been interested in improving the offense even if it would have just blocked the Pirates?

Heisey? Choo against lefties? 145K for the rest of the season? Ludwick not yet in 'baseball shape'? Ludwick also isn't playing day games after night games...

He'd have the 3rd highest OPS on the team, the highest against lefties,

.287BA, 21HR, 71RBIs, and a .330OBP

11. Likes:

cumberlandreds (08-28-2013),malcontent (08-28-2013),mth123 (08-28-2013),OneManBand (08-28-2013),Redsfansince72 (08-28-2013)

Just A Couple Johnny's OneManBand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Diamondbacks designated OF Jason Kubel for assignment.
    Kubel hadn't been playing much lately and didn't produce when he was in the lineup, batting just .220/.288/.324 this season over 89 games. He'll clear waivers, with the D'Backs having to pick up the remainder of his $7.5 million salary for this season, as well as a $1 million buyout for 2014.

There's a guy I'd rather have over X-Paul, though I don't know if he could be released/signed by us by Sept 1.
    I was actually hoping for a Kubel & Kennedy combo deal prior to Kennedy getting dealt to San Diego. Kubel is a guy who I think would be a good situational guy. He's having a down year this year and frankly at the end of last season as well.. But maybe a change of scenery would do him some good.

13. Likes:

malcontent (08-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by OneManBand View Post
    I was actually hoping for a Kubel & Kennedy combo deal prior to Kennedy getting dealt to San Diego. Kubel is a guy who I think would be a good situational guy. He's having a down year this year and frankly at the end of last season as well.. But maybe a change of scenery would do him some good.
    I think he could 'mash some taters at GABP
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    I have a hard time believing no one in the AL would put in a claim on Morneau.
    Seeing is believing.

Because Morneau has already cleared waivers, Morneau is free to be traded to any team, but he must be on a new team prior to Sept. 1 to be eligible for postseason play.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Why shouldn't the Reds have been interested in improving the offense even if it would have just blocked the Pirates?

Heisey? Choo against lefties? 145K for the rest of the season? Ludwick not yet in 'baseball shape'? Ludwick also isn't playing day games after night games...

He'd have the 3rd highest OPS on the team, the highest against lefties,

.287BA, 21HR, 71RBIs, and a .330OBP
    Totally agree and makes no sense to me at all.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Rays Release Cory Wade

By Steve Adams [August 28 at 10:04am CST]

The Rays have granted right-hander Cory Wade his release from Triple-A Durham upon his request, the team announced on Twitter. He signed a minor league deal with Tampa Bay back in May after struggling through 16 innings with the Cubs' Triple-A affiliate.

Wade, 30, saw a drastic turnaround in the Rays organization, pitching to a brilliant 2.17 ERA with 6.0 K/9 and 2.5 BB/9 in 49 1/3 innings of relief for the Durham Bulls. His Major League career has been up and down, as he's twice pitched a full season with a sub-3.00 ERA (in 2008 with the Dodgers and 2011 with the Yankees) and twice posted an ERA north of 5.50 in significant action (2009 with the Dodgers and 2012 with the Yankees).

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Seeing is believing.
    Indeed. Definitely would not have seen that coming.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Just A Couple Johnny's OneManBand's Avatar

Josh Willingham has been apparently claimed off waivers per MLBTraderumors

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Padres Place Volquez On Release Waivers

By Zach Links [August 28 at 4:09pm CST]

WEDNESDAY: San Diego has requested release waivers on Volquez, according to Chris Cotillo of MLBDailyDish.com (on Twitter).

Turn Off Ads?