Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Official waiver trade deadline thread (Sept. 30)

Re: Official waiver trade deadline thread (August 31)

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    Pirate fans are bursting at the seems with excitement. Neil Huntington has energized his already energized fanbase.
    Twins fans are even more excited, and they probably have no idea who Alex Presley is.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Likes:

Big Klu (09-12-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    It's kind of weird to think how much of this season hinges/hinged on the health and production of Ludwick. And how bad this organization's farm system is.
    For years you complained that the Reds held unto their prospects instead of turning them into immediate help.

Then when they trade some upside prospects for immediate pitching help like Latos and Marshall, thereby weakening their farm system, all you do is complain about the farm system.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Name recognition is pretty powerful, but the Pirates really aren't getting a big upgrade here.
    Morneau isn't an upgrade over who? Gaby Sanchez, Travis Snider, Brandon Inge, Alex Presley, Josh Harrison? Those are the types of guys he'll take PA away from. He's a major upgrade over all of them.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Morneau isn't an upgrade over who? Gaby Sanchez, Travis Snider, Brandon Inge, Alex Presley, Josh Harrison? Those are the types of guys he'll take PA away from. He's a major upgrade over all of them.
    Pirates first baseman this year: .260/.336/.432 (117 OPS+)
    Justin Morneau this year: .259/.315/.426 (102 OPS+)

7. Likes:

Brutus (08-31-2013)

He's a first basemen with a .315 OBP. That and "major upgrade" don't compute.

The next 28 games are what matter. Quote all the OPS+ and OB% you want. As the 3rd or 4th hottest slugging player in MLB over the past month He improves their chances at winning games down the stretch vs. the players that would otherwise get those chances. Hands down.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

The next 28 games are what matter. Quote all the OPS+ and OB% you want. As the 3rd or 4th hottest slugging player in MLB over the past month He improves their chances at winning games down the stretch vs. the players that would otherwise get those chances. Hands down.
    So you are just ignoring edabbs' post about having a .790 OPS in last 28 days, and even worse in 2nd half?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    So you are just ignoring edabbs' post about having a .790 OPS in last 28 days, and even worse in 2nd half?
    9 HRs in the last 28 games. Not ignoring that. Are you?

You can change the criteria all you want but it still isn't true.

Morneau is 26th in the majors in SLG in August for players with min 75 PAs.

9 HRs in the last 28 games. Not ignoring that. Are you?
    I didn't realize that homeruns were the only way to accumulate runs.

Morneau has been a substandard 1st basemen 3 years running, hasn't had a particularly good year, and homeruns aside, hasn't had a particularly good month.

I'm just not seeing the spin you are. He's been roughly less valuable than Cozart has been this year. Think about that for a moment. Can you imagine the reaction if the Reds "upgraded" a position to get to Zack Cozart level production? Jocketty wouldn't get out of the city in a bodybag.

More on the subject of Morneau, he literally has 30 points of OPS on Cozart post all star break.

I guess that makes Cozart, what, the 5th or 6th hottest slugger in baseball at the moment?

2 outs bottom of the ninth, the division on the line. A HR is a great way to accumulate a run. This is a chess match, late inning threat upgrade, not a starting player upgrade. Maybe that's why we're not seeing eye to eye.

2 outs bottom of the ninth, the division on the line. A HR is a great way to accumulate a run. This is a chess match, late inning threat upgrade, not a starting player upgrade. Maybe that's why we're not seeing eye to eye.
    You're thinking of hypothetical possibilities of what he could do, instead of looking at what he actually has done all year, second half, or even the last 30 days.

Truthfully, we are not seeing eye to eye because you are making up statistics.

Morneau isn't Justin Morneau anymore.

Being in a lefty and Morneau likely won't be accumulating anything but a seat on the bench.

Turn Off Ads?