Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Frazier

Re: Frazier

I don't think so.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I see no purpose to sending Frazier down.

But he is now at .237 BA and .718 OPS for this season, 410 PAs so far.

This hasn't been just a brief slump. It's a season long issue and has come at an inopportune time with Ludwick's injury.
    Which makes him an above average 3B in this league.

4. Likes:

pahster (08-03-2013),Raisor (08-03-2013),RedEye (08-03-2013),reds44 (08-03-2013)

Todd is beat down, like someone ran over his dog and his GF dumped him.
    Never seen him look so depressed...

"Baseball is 90% mental -- the other half is physical."

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Which makes him an above average 3B in this league.
    The NL averages for all 3B, meaning everyone at that position.... this year so far are .256/.324/.397/.721.
    Todd Frazier is at .237/.327/.391/.718.

That is not above average. It is barely average. But at least it is average.

He has been below average for over a month though...after a great April and good May.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    The NL averages for all 3B, meaning everyone at that position.... this year so far are .256/.324/.397/.721.

He has been below average for over a month though...after a great April and good May.
    When you add his defense he has been, in fact, above average

A lot of guys have their best season as a rookie. The league adjusts and they have a down year in year two. It's a common pattern. Year three, the guy adjusts back and goes on to a decent career or he doesn't and becomes Corey Patterson, Kevin Maas, Drew Stubbs, Jerome Walton, Joe Charboneau, Bob Hamelin ....

The lesson is to not expect Rookie or first full year numbers to be the norm. I wasn't expecting an .800 OPS from Frazier this year. I expected a drop-off. I didn't expect this much of a drop. My eyes tell me he's an easy out for any pitcher who just wants to start him off on the outside corner and keep going farther and farther into the LH batter's box with their pitch locations. Frazier seems to want to pull those balls into LF. He swings and misses, hits a weak pop off the end of the bat or rolls over on one and grounds to the LF side. His early season numbers have propped up his overall totals, but right now he has the look of a number 7 hitter who may hit an occassional long ball and not much else. Cozart looks like a better bet at this point in time, and I think Cozart's numbers are a fairly accurate reflection of what he is.

I think sending him down isn't a bad idea at all. He is probably the best answer for 3B on the team, but a couple weeks hitting against minor league pitching might take off some pressure and get him going a little. I'd give Soto a look at 3B for a couple weeks while Todd tries to get right. Hannahan would be a fine caddy to come in late for defense. I don't really see that much to lose. If Soto stinks (and he easily could) they can bring Todd back-up. Sending him down wouldn't be the end of the world. Maybe Soto has one of those rookie over his head two week stretches and gives the team a shot in the arm.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by xsteve1 View Post
    Any chance the Reds could send him down to Louisville for a week or two? He's just lost right now.
    Wouldn't be a bad thing.

Brooks Robinson was sent down during a similar situation at the same time of his career.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    A lot of guys have their best season as a rookie. The league adjusts and they have a down year in year two. It's a common pattern. Year three, the guy adjusts back and goes on to a decent career or he doesn't and becomes Corey Patterson, Kevin Maas, Drew Stubbs, Jerome Walton, Joe Charboneau, Bob Hamelin ....

The lesson is to not expect Rookie or first full year numbers to be the norm.
    100% spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post

Should be comparing him to averages of Starting 3B who qualify for a batting championship (making them true starters).

12. Likes:

mth123 (08-03-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Should be comparing him to averages of Starting 3B who qualify for a batting championship (making them true starters).
    Man do I agree. League average is a really low bar. Using the qualifier standard, Frazier is 13th out of 21 in OPS for 3B. For comparison's sake, Cozart is is 14th of 19 at SS. The general belief is that Frazier is OK and Cozart is awful. In actuality they are both below average but probably not the reason a team loses if there are good players elsewhere to be the primary pieces.

The last 30 days, Frazier .630, Phillips .604 and Cozart .591. The Reds don't have even a remote alternative for 2B or SS, but Soto might be worth a try at 3B while Frazier tries to get going. What does the team have to lose? The Red Sox weren't afraid to send their starter to AAA and they are in first place. Why are the Reds so reluctant to make these kinds of moves?
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    When you add his defense he has been, in fact, above average
    Not repeating my post in RedEye's thread about Baker. But Frazier offensively is not league average. He is slightly below league average for all NL third basemen, further below if you include his batting average.

Among the eleven qualified third basemen (starters with a qualified number of at bats) he is clearly below average offensively. In the composite wRC+ stat he is tenth of the eleven. OPS he is eighth of the eleven.

His defense is clearly above average according to UZR.

More specifics are in the other thread.

15. Likes:

mth123 (08-03-2013)

Typically, RHP's try to get RHB's to chase pitches low and outside. Although every batter can look bad at times on such pitches, Frazier seems to be worse than most at laying off these pitches. At times he visibly lunges for the ball. I recall seeing him swing at a pitch that actually bounced at the front edge of the LH batters box. As a result, he is seeing a few more of these pitches than other RH batters on the Reds.

IMO, his ceiling is around .260 average with 20 HR's, what used to be called a 'hard' .260. That would be fine. If he moderate his tendency to chase unhittable pitches, I think he will reach those numbers. At the moment, however, he looks really lost.

It's nice to see a 3B perform so well against the Cardinals.

Totally overrated. Never understood why it won so many Emmys, Seinfeld was so much better. Although I did like Eddie, the dog.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

19. Likes:

RedEye (08-03-2013),Rojo (08-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Totally overrated. Never understood why it won so many Emmys, Seinfeld was so much better. Although I did like Eddie, the dog.
    Agree, but for a different reason -- because it never quite got out of the Cheers shadow for me. That's probably my favorite show of all time, and I couldn't stop wishing it would come back instead of Frazier.

Okay, carry on.

21. Likes:

757690 (08-03-2013)

Turn Off Ads?