Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Is It OK To Acknowledge the Disappointment in This Season W/O Being Absurd?

Re: Is It OK To Acknowledge the Disappointment in This Season W/O Being Absurd?

I think talent and not heart is the problem. Needed an OF and an arm for the pen. Leake and Arroyo didn't have it and the team got clobbered by the best offense in the NL. I hope the Broxton, Ludwick duo are up to the task. They need to do something to get Frazier going. AAA is not absurd as many have claimed. Bring-up Soto and see if lightning gets caught in a bottle. Meanwhile, Frazier gets removed from the situationa and can go remember how to be himself and not the pressing, reach for anything guy he's been. They are stuck with Phillips and Cozart, but those guys need to get going too.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

I have thought for some time that the "year to sneak in there" was, alas, 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    You're right. Especially Phillips and Frazier. They've got a ton of really really difficult decisions coming up this offseason.

I don't envy the FO's job at all. I'm actually wondering if maybe they should take a few seasons of stepping back, trading some principals and re-tooling. Not a fire sale exactly, but a shorter period of prospect accumulation.
    I agree with this completely. Cards and Cubs have fully loaded farm systems. We've traded away good prospects for major league talent and took a shot at it. Time to build up the system again and prepare for what waits down the road or else we'll really he boned...

Walt is only signed through 2014 though. Who knows if he plans on hanging it up after that. He might not care about the long term success of the club. That's a scary thought for what could happen this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    If you told me these Reds would be under .500 by the end of this month, I would believe you.

I think they're done.
    I'm not ready to go there either. Thankfully, there's only one Cardinals' offense. The rest of baseball is decidedly human.

Quote Originally Posted by LexRedsFan View Post
    They laid down and rolled over for the Cards to walk over them twice this weekend in a major series with a jacked up crowd in front of them.
    And it's all the more galling when you consider that the Cards had lost 7 of 8 after getting dominated by the Braves and Pirates. And they didn't have their best player - Molina - available this series.

The Reds just didn't want it. Bronson Arroyo set the tone with his lame effort on Friday and it continued. They even tried to give Saturday's game away.

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    I agree with this completely. Cards and Cubs have fully loaded farm systems. We've traded away good prospects for major league talent and took a shot at it. Time to build up the system again and prepare for what waits down the road or else we'll really he boned...

Walt is only signed through 2014 though. Who knows if he plans on hanging it up after that. He might not care about the long term success of the club. That's a scary thought for what could happen this offseason.
    He'll probably retire, but I honestly don't see him making a bunch of moves to destroy the franchise. Not the cut of his jib.

The next GM will likely undertake the rebuild, however.

I'm disappointed in the front office this season. They have known since early April that Ludwick was going be out for a considerable time. They did nothing to improve that. Also not getting a backup catcher when Hanigan went down was absurd. Corky's a nice guy and will probably be a good coach and manager someday but his playing days are long since over. With him playing on the Reds roster is a joke. They have wasted a good opportunity this year to be an elite team. They may stumble into the playoffs and maybe even get red hot and win it. That's the best hope anyway for this team.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

9. Likes:

KYRedsFan (08-05-2013)

Just got to hope this team earns a wild card spot and get Cueto back. I'll take my chances with a healthy Cueto in a one game series.

They lost 2 of 3 to the best run differential in the NL. The season isn't over. Still 50 games to go. A lot can happen. If you're giving up now, your taking the easy way out so you can tell everyone "I told you so" if the likely happens and the Reds don't win it all (since only 1 team can win it all).

Some stuff needs to change, but it isn't something that is out of reasonable expectations IMO. It happened at a similar juncture in 2010 IIRC.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

12. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (08-04-2013),HeatherC1212 (08-05-2013),RadfordVA (08-06-2013),Red in Chicago (08-04-2013),westofyou (08-04-2013)

Todd Frazier has not had a hit for 9 straight games now.

I am really tired of watching a AAA talent, tops, at 3B every day.

14. Likes:

coachpipe (08-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    And it's all the more galling when you consider that the Cards had lost 7 of 8 after getting dominated by the Braves and Pirates. And they didn't have their best player - Molina - available this series.

The Reds just didn't want it. Bronson Arroyo set the tone with his lame effort on Friday and it continued. They even tried to give Saturday's game away.
    The Reds didn't want it? What do you want them to do? If Leake would have launched his glove in the dugout after being pulled or Arroyo took a bat to the water cooler, would that make you feel like they really did want it?
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

I'm not gonna say all is woe for the Reds, but I also think that this year's showing has to give Reds fans pause considering the Cards' machine has not slowed down and has strong farm behind it, the Pirates have some strong
    prospects in the pipeline and Theo is doing some interesting things rebuilding the Cubs (with a potentially huge budget). Walt and the brain trust need to find a way to shore up the holes in this club.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I have thought for some time that the "year to sneak in there" was, alas, 2012.
    Absolutely. We were just as good as the Giants (obviously). If we don't blow a 2-0 series lead, we might have won it all. Such a punch in the nuts to think back on that.

Worth The Wait

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    They lost 2 of 3 to the best run differential in the NL. The season isn't over. Still 50 games to go. A lot can happen. If you're giving up now, your taking the easy way out so you can tell everyone "I told you so" if the likely happens and the Reds don't win it all (since only 1 team can win it all).

Some stuff needs to change, but it isn't something that is out of reasonable expectations IMO. It happened at a similar juncture in 2010 IIRC.
    I would agree that this has a similar feel to the juncture in 2010 when we got swept by the Cards. But there are some big differences as well.

1. The Cards are better now than they were in 2010
    2. The Pirates
    3. It felt like the 2010 Reds were a little ahead of schedule so the whole thing felt like gravy at that point.

As I've said many times.... 2013 for me was the year I went into the season thinking ring. Or at least pennant. Not to say that it was "title or bust," but my expectations were high. Much higher than possibly just sneaking in the second wild card spot. If that's what winds up happening then I will put all of my energy into the one game playoff and any hope we get hot ala recent WS champs. But it won't take away from the fact that the season itself has disappointed me.

If we miss the playoffs altogether? Well, that is a horrible season in my eyes given the expectations.

The season seems to be on the brink right now. There is still plenty of time, but how much time needs to pass before there isn't plenty of time?

Worth The Wait

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Absolutely. We were just as good as the Giants (obviously). If we don't blow a 2-0 series lead, we might have won it all. Such a punch in the nuts to think back on that.
    There are a handful of teams in pro sports that can bank on getting multiple chances at titles year after year and decade after decade. The Reds aren't one of them.

I agree that 2012 has the potential to haunt. If that winds up bein the pinnacle for this current regime/roster, that will be pretty tough to swallow.

20. Likes:

joshua (08-05-2013),Revering4Blue (08-04-2013)

Turn Off Ads?