Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Is It OK To Acknowledge the Disappointment in This Season W/O Being Absurd?

Re: Is It OK To Acknowledge the Disappointment in This Season W/O Being Absurd?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The Reds have played 133 MLB seasons, 13% of those they have played .600 or better baseball, 46% of those they have played .500% or better baseball.

The current winning % of the team is .545%, the lowest winning % of a Reds team to win the division was .559 in 1979, the 1977 Reds had a .545%, they were disappointing.

If the season ended today it would be in the top 36% of the Reds seasons, but yes... it's not the greatest,

Nor is it the end of the season.
    Expectations are everything and not reaching the playoffs would conclude in being one of the most disappointing teams we've had in quite some time. . . especially considering the added teams in the playoffs.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I've been disappointed very year since 1990. However, this season has been a blast to watch. Being in contention and having evey game mean something is always fun.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

4. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (08-03-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I've been disappointed very year since 1990. However, this season has been a blast to watch. Being in contention and having evey game mean something is always fun.
    2010 was better along with last year. This year has been a bear to watch. At least when we were terrible I'd miss watching/listening to games and not even care if I did.

Season ain't over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    Seems a line has been drawn in the sand at RZ.

On this side we have,

"Stick a fork in them, they suck, heads should roll, I've wasted too much energy on these bums. Season is a disaster."

On the other side we have,

"Many teams would change places with us, it's better than it was in 2003, the correction is coming, we are still having a great season will be fine."

Is it ok to be in the middle? Because that is where I am.

I don't think this season has been particularly fun. I have found it disappointing. In large part because of the massive eggs we've laid against good teams. But overall, before the year I had WS dreams--- now it looks like we might find ourselves in a desperate fight for 5th place in the league... And probably somewhere around the 10th-12th best team in MLB. I find that very disappointing.

But I am also not really to jump off the ledge yet. I understand that even as a the #2 WC, we'd have a shot at getting hot and at least surpassing our run of last year if not beyond. It would be hard for me term the season a disaster if we make the playoffs even as a second WC team. I will use that term if we don't make the post season at all though.

But there are still two months left. A lot can happen. Things could get much worse and we could get passed in the WC chase and finish .500 or worse. I now see that as a possibility. We could also get hot and easily win a WC and/or make a run at the division.

The season is still yet to be defined. Although I agree that so far it hasn't gone as I'd hoped.... At all.
    I guess it all depends on what your expectations were for this season. Were you hoping for Reds to be the undisputed dominating champs of the NL Central? You can probably stick a fork in em their dead.... STL and PIT has shown they're going to contest it plenty and won't be dominated.

Did you want them to win wire to wire and capture the WS? That's long gone.

Did you want them to play excellent baseball, make a postseason appearance, and be competitive for the big shot? I'm not sure what's to be on the fence about here the Reds are doing it. But let's not fool ourselves, there are other very tough teams out there and if the Reds want it they'll have to take it, it's not going to be gifted to them.

If anything, the last two years of baseball should tell us that if teams can stay close to the October hunt, big things are possible.

Reds are at the upper echelon of that October at the moment. Sit tight, show faith, they will reward you with October baseball.

8. Likes:

Worth The Wait

The Reds have played 133 MLB seasons, 13% of those they have played .600 or better baseball, 46% of those they have played .500% or better baseball.

The current winning % of the team is .545%, the lowest winning % of a Reds team to win the division was .559 in 1979, the 1977 Reds had a .545%, they were disappointing.

If the season ended today it would be in the top 36% of the Reds seasons, but yes... it's not the greatest,

Nor is it the end of the season.
    But that's the thing... I didn't go into 2013 hoping to surpass the many modest to poor results I've experienced as a Reds fan in my lifetime. I expected much more from this team.

It is literally the only time in my years of Reds rooting that I've entered a season thinking the WS was a real possibility. If asking for that once in 25 years or so makes me unrealistic..... Then I guess I'm unrealistic

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Unrealistic expectations lead to disappointment.

If you expected the Reds to duplicate last season's 97 wins then maybe you got your hopes a little too high in the sky. If you expected the Reds to finish somewhere between last year's 97 wins and the previous year's 79 wins then you were a little more realistic and are likely not as surprised and disappointed by the Reds' performance in 2013.
    If you had told me the starting pitching would be even better, Choo would be this good and Bruce would make some serious positive strides vs lefties, I would have easily expected them to challenge last year's mark -- especially given the absence of any truly dominant teams in the NL.

The injuries have been a factor, for certain, but still expected better than 10 over .500.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

11. Likes:

Norm Chortleton (08-03-2013),wlf WV (08-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    But that's the thing... I didn't go into 2013 hoping to surpass the many modest to poor results I've experienced as a Reds fan in my lifetime. I expected much more from this team.

It is literally the only time in my years of Reds rooting that I've entered a season thinking the WS was a real possibility. If asking for that once in 25 years or so makes me unrealistic..... Then I guess I'm unrealistic
    The season is still actively occurring, unsure how your hope is dead in the water with seven weeks if baseball left

FWIW the great 1990 team lost like nine in a row at this time of the year, barely played .500 ball for two and a half months and win the WS in four games

I can tell ya I didn't expect that at all after their poor late season

In short it's August and the Reds are ten games above .500, there is still a lot of baseball to be played, if you want perfection go look up some TSN from 1976 and read about the 1976 Reds, cause it won't get better than that and I've come to except it myself.

13. Likes:

2006 Cardinals won 83 games. They lost 9 of their last 12. Flags fly forever.

15. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (08-03-2013),reds44 (08-03-2013)

Simple answer? Yes.

I expected a 95 win team, so I'm a little disappointed so far, but I'm loving every minute of it just the same as I have every season since I was 8 years old.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

18. Likes:

RedEye (08-03-2013)

I'm absolutely in the middle. I hate not being in 1st but I'm glad they're over .500 and still in a playoff spot.

You could easily mistake me for a fan that's completely content. That's only because there's no excuse for someone that's truly a fan of a team to write them off, bash the players, management, coaches, front office and ownership when they're well over .500 and currently holding on to a playoff spot. If you complain that's fine but some of the comments around here about the Reds amaze me so I have to defend a team that I'm not really all that excited about.

Worth The Wait

The season is still actively occurring, unsure how your hope is dead in the water with seven weeks if baseball left

FWIW the great 1990 team lost like nine in a row at this time of the year, barely played .500 ball for two and a half months and win the WS in four games

I can tell ya I didn't expect that at all after their poor late season

In short it's August and the Reds are ten games above .500, there is still a lot of baseball to be played, if you want perfection go look up some TSN from 1976 and read about the 1976 Reds, cause it won't get better than that and I've come to except it myself.
    I haven't written the season off yet which was precisely why I started the thread. Despite my disappointment we have won enough to remain relevant and if we can make it to Oct then anything can happen. I still have hope.

But up to this point I'm fairly disappointed. And if we continue the two month long trend we've been on, it is quite likely we won't be playing in October.

I will repeat: Outside of para, Leak and Cingrani, is there any player on this team stepping up and playing better than you expected? Anyone on offense?

22. Likes:

wlf WV (08-04-2013)

IMO, only main difference with last year is health and stength of Pirates and Cardinals. No other real differences with last season.

I'm overall reasonably satisfied with the quality of the team. A few performances could certainly be better, but others could certainly be worse. Dissapointed that we have a tough road ahead to win the division, but not sure that has a lot to do with the current players on the team.

24. Likes:

Turn Off Ads?